This deserves it's very own thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Blue Room said:

Sorry you feel its idiotic, I could quote some posts I feel are super idiotic in this forum but I wont because that is kind of disrespectful to say things like that. :shrug: If you want to argue a point, fine, but to start name calling is not necessary.

I wasn't calling you idiotic; just the notion that sources are wrong and then relying on a source. I say idiotic things sometimes so I didn't consider it an insult. Anyway, the truth is probably somewhere between 6 weeks and 5 months, depending on what counts (dedicated studio time vs tweaking, recording vs mixing, etc.).

I doesn't really matter, I doubt we will see an album this year either.

Now that I have other things to worry about (baby stuff for example), arguing about Zooropa now seems idiotic as well. :wink:

New album - October/November 2008

No way it will come out in a couple of months.

And the other things is, it really doesn't matter if Adam was joking or not, as the band members don't really know how long a record will take to record until they have the songs in place. I remember Adam talking about starting to record Bomb, saying with 6 leftovers from ATYCLB, they could get a project together....and then when they did get another 6 tracks recorded, by all logic they should have had the album out....but alas, it wasn't until another 3 years after Adam's statement...so you just never know.

That said, if U2 has the leftovers they say they do from the Bomb sessions, songs such as 'North Star', 'Lead Me in the Way I Should Go', 'Mercy', 'Love is all We Have Left', and others, along with the tracks they demoed and wrote this summer - and the fact that it is Rubin who is producing - I don't see why it should take that many working months to complete and album. But that's the key - working months. They just have to make the time around the tour and holidays. If they do, I can see an album out by next year - maybe even a summer or fall release. But that all depends on many things, not just time constrainsts, but also production team (do they bring back Rubin after the tour is over? What's his schedule like? If Lanois and Eno come back, give the album another 3 years!)...also things like the direction the album takes. What kind of production do the songs demand? What kind of work do they need? The songs will dictate so much of the equation.

In short, this album could be finished in 6 months or 2 years. I don't see it being finished in 2 months. But U2 has surprised me before...so there's always hope for the unexpected.

Michael Griffiths said:
And the other things is, it really doesn't matter if Adam was joking or not, as the band members don't really know how long a record will take to record until they have the songs in place. I remember Adam talking about starting to record Bomb, saying with 6 leftovers from ATYCLB, they could get a project together....and then when they did get another 6 tracks recorded, by all logic they should have had the album out....but alas, it wasn't until another 3 years after Adam's statement...so you just never know.

That said, if U2 has the leftovers they say they do from the Bomb sessions, songs such as 'North Star', 'Lead Me in the Way I Should Go', 'Mercy', 'Love is all We Have Left', and others, along with the tracks they demoed and wrote this summer - and the fact that it is Rubin who is producing - I don't see why it should take that many working months to complete and album. But that's the key - working months. They just have to make the time around the tour and holidays. If they do, I can see an album out by next year - maybe even a summer or fall release. But that all depends on many things, not just time constrainsts, but also production team (do they bring back Rubin after the tour is over? What's his schedule like? If Lanois and Eno come back, give the album another 3 years!)...also things like the direction the album takes. What kind of production do the songs demand? What kind of work do they need? The songs will dictate so much of the equation.

In short, this album could be finished in 6 months or 2 years. I don't see it being finished in 2 months. But U2 has surprised me before...so there's always hope for the unexpected.

I agree with this. I think that we (and neither them, in fact) really know in which stage things are going.
The only thing that makes me think about this is that I remember to hear that the HTDAAB leftovers were in a developped stage and they were only fractions of unrehearsed songs. This could be goo because if some of those songs match with what the band wants to shows this time, then it's just a question of rework it and make it fit in a whole. I guess that it wouldn't be very difficult.

I wonder too if Rubin is going to come back in studio with U2 in 2007 after the tour resumes. If not it wouldn't be that bad. And there wouldn't be needed to Eno, Lanois, Lillywhite...
Have you imagined an album produced by Rubin and by... The Edge?
He has already been in that task 13 years ago, I think it could be possible again. Plus, it could be a sign for a future increased involvement of the band (Edge leading) in the production /post-production sessions.

Is Rubin available in 2007 though? We know he is busy with Metallica and Linkin Park albums production.

So maybe Rubin now, and Eno and Lanois next year. Flood and Lillywhite share the mixing.

U2girl said:
Is Rubin available in 2007 though? We know he is busy with Metallica and Linkin Park albums production.

So maybe Rubin now, and Eno and Lanois next year. Flood and Lillywhite share the mixing.

a quick glance at Rubin's resume proves that he can handle more than a couple albums per year.

Make Believe - Weezer (2005)
Out of Exile - Audioslave (2005)
Mezmerize - System of a Down (2005)
Hypnotize - System of a Down (2005)
12 Songs - Neil Diamond (2005)
Christ Illusion - Slayer (2006)
Stadium Arcadium - Red Hot Chili Peppers (2006)
Taking the Long Way - Dixie Chicks (2006)
American V: A Hundred Highways - Johnny Cash (2006)
How Dirty Girls Get Clean - Courtney Love (2006)
FutureSex/LoveSounds - Justin Timberlake (2006)
Untitled - Linkin Park (2007)
Untitled-Metallica (2007)
Untitled - U2 (2007)
Libertad (Working Title) - Velvet Revolver (2007)
American VI - Johnny Cash (2007)

Dorian Gray said:

a quick glance at Rubin's resume proves that he can handle more than a couple albums per year.

Make Believe - Weezer (2005)
Out of Exile - Audioslave (2005)
Mezmerize - System of a Down (2005)
Hypnotize - System of a Down (2005)
12 Songs - Neil Diamond (2005)
Christ Illusion - Slayer (2006)
Stadium Arcadium - Red Hot Chili Peppers (2006)
Taking the Long Way - Dixie Chicks (2006)
American V: A Hundred Highways - Johnny Cash (2006)
How Dirty Girls Get Clean - Courtney Love (2006)
FutureSex/LoveSounds - Justin Timberlake (2006)
Untitled - Linkin Park (2007)
Untitled-Metallica (2007)
Untitled - U2 (2007)
Libertad (Working Title) - Velvet Revolver (2007)
American VI - Johnny Cash (2007)
VERY interesting insight. Was he the sole producer of all those albums? If so, he is obviously a very fast worker, and if he was the sole producer of Stadium Arcadium it gives me even more reason to smile as that album has over 20 songs. If he can produce an album of more than 20 songs while also producing other albums, it gives me great hope that he can spur U2 to flesh out an album rapidly.

It doesn't please me to know that he produces so many things at the same time and so fast. Is he really involved in the production process along with songwritting and polish lines or he's just up there to make the essential studio production at the scheduled time? Well, I guess that if he's working with 4 or 5 different artists in different studios simultaneously, I don't see how it can happen...

I'm not sure exactly how Rick Rubin works, but I am now compelled to find out a little bit more about him. Looks like he gets around, whatever the case. I'm not sure how he pulls it off.

Michael Griffiths said:
I'm not sure exactly how Rick Rubin works, but I am now compelled to find out a little bit more about him. Looks like he gets around, whatever the case. I'm not sure how he pulls it off.
You bet, it's almost kind of incredible. Guess we've got to put a little trust in the guys...

Aygo said:
Is he really involved in the production process along with songwritting and polish lines or he's just up there to make the essential studio production at the scheduled time?

I don't think he adds much in terms of songwriting to the process, at least not like Eno & Lanois. If you listen Acadie, Lanois' album from right around Joshua Tree, it sounds....a lot like Joshua Tree. It makes you wonder how much of their own music Eno & Lanois add to the process. My guess is that it's a good bit. I don't see that as much from Rubin--though I'll admit I'm assuming.

U2girl said:

See, I like the sound of this. Sounds feasible also. I would still say 2008 though even with this theory, but like I have been saying late fall 2007 is feasible even though I dont think that will happen.

Yeah, but if Rubin is in the studio now, what would be the point of joining later Eno and Lanois when the "job was half-done" or at least the main thing? I think that the duo Lanois/Eno would work if it was in the main stage, not as a complement at the end.

Utoo said:

I don't think he adds much in terms of songwriting to the process, at least not like Eno & Lanois. If you listen Acadie, Lanois' album from right around Joshua Tree, it sounds....a lot like Joshua Tree. It makes you wonder how much of their own music Eno & Lanois add to the process. My guess is that it's a good bit. I don't see that as much from Rubin--though I'll admit I'm assuming.

That's more or less what I was trying to point with that part of the post.

Blue Room said:

See, I like the sound of this. Sounds feasible also. I would still say 2008 though even with this theory, but like I have been saying late fall 2007 is feasible even though I dont think that will happen.

Call me nuts or optimistic but I believe that we'll have an album by the end of the year or after New Years...and yes it would be highly unusual.

Adam was quoted outside of Abbey Road as saying that they want the album out in the next couple of months.

And I don't believe that Larry, Adam and Edge would be working away while Bono was in the States unless they were seriously trying to knock something out.

Westport said:

Adam was quoted outside of Abbey Road as saying that they want the album out in the next couple of months.

By a fan on the street. So many things could have been misconstrued there. Not saying it didnt happen, but maybe Adam misunderstood exactly what was asked, maybe it was misunderstood the context of what he was saying.

Edge was quoted officially on the official site as saying they had no time frame and no idea where they were going with it at this point because it was in its very early stages. :shrug: I would say thats more reputable and fits the template.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i don't... eno and lanois are the predictable route... mix it up, take a chance, go with rubin... if the album tanks? (or tanks by u2 standards) break out eno and lanois for the next one.

I say go with Eno and Lanois because the results with them have been the best. :shrug: I liked Bomb but I think the albums they did with Lanois and Eno were all better. The problem I see is with Rubin is I dont think you are going to get anything experimental or drastically different from Bomb. Eno would at least try to get them to push the envelope again sonically (although he might not be successful :laugh: ). I just dont see Rubin doing that.

Its U2, it will be a good album, but all of my favorite U2 albums have involved Eno and/or Lanois.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

I say go with Eno and Lanois because the results with them have been the best. :shrug: I liked Bomb but I think the albums they did with Lanois and Eno were all better. The problem I see is with Rubin is I dont think you are going to get anything experimental or drastically different from Bomb. Eno would at least try to get them to push the envelope again sonically (although he might not be successful :laugh: ). I just dont see Rubin doing that.

Its U2, it will be a good album, but all of my favorite U2 albums have involved Eno and/or Lanois.

well if you want to get technical, eno and lanois did co-produce love and peace or else, and lanois worked on one step closer :wink:

and all that you can't leave behind was eno's work... and i wouldn't exactly call it u2 "pushing the envelope sonically"

And aside from the lyrics, Love and Peace is the best song on the Atomic Bomb. And why wouldnt you say All That didnt push the envelope sonically? What else sounds like it in the catalogue?

Agreed... my two favourite sounding songs from Bomb are 'Love and Peace' and 'One Step Closer'. Funny how they were both produced by either Eno or Lanois. And 'One Step Closer' is beautiful. Man, I love Lanois' sound.

But U2 has always been about taking risks in the pursuit of growing as a band. They took a huge risk when they made the decision to change producers after the War album. Lillywhite had helped them garner commerical success, and other bands were desperately trying to copy the U2 sound when they made one of the hardest decisions they ever had to make. They could have continued in the vein of Boy through War, making rock centric records...and then would have died with all the other monikers of the time. Instead, they gambled. They tried out Eno and his unknown Canadian protege, Lanois. The experiment worked brilliantly. But it could have failed brilliantly, as well. Such is the gamble of life and the pursuit of greatness.

I for one am glad U2 is sticking to their principles on this one.

Blue Room said:

By a fan on the street. So many things could have been misconstrued there. Not saying it didnt happen, but maybe Adam misunderstood exactly what was asked, maybe it was misunderstood the context of what he was saying.

Edge was quoted officially on the official site as saying they had no time frame and no idea where they were going with it at this point because it was in its very early stages. :shrug: I would say thats more reputable and fits the template.

Typical Blue Room. :| The album could have an official release date on the website, and you'd still dispute it. :rolleyes:

:uhoh: Well, even though Adam said "a couple of months," Edge seems to feel differently...

You're speaking from a London recording studio. Does that mean there's a new U2 album around the bend?

Noooo. Nowhere near. We're here with [producer] Rick Rubin and enjoying the chemistry, but we're nowhere near a timetable or anything. I will say that we're having a good time. And I have a feeling that because of Rick's presence it's going to sound very different. But really, it's early days. And we are messing about with other stuff too.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1535826-1,00.html

U2Man said:
But the point is that the way U2 see it, they've been on a full tour since March 2005 and they're about to wrap it up by playing these last shows that were cancelled, as they promised they would do. They are not starting on a completely new and big tour now. :huh:

I think you're dead right.
Personally I want to hear a new album by the end of the year and I am sure we will get one. Come on, have some faith in the boys, they could easily have a great album out by then. They do not need two years in a studio analysing every fucking note. I think they want to get away from all that and want to release an album this year or spring at the latest.
I think the last thing they need to do or want to do is tour again for a couple of years.

I also feel rhat they wont go with Eno/lanois this time. I think they want to go with someone else just to mix it up a bit. That's what they tried to do with HTDAAB and Chris Thomas, but that didn't work and went back to Lillywhite. I think they are trying to go for something different with this record and they feel that Rubin is the best route to get good and fast results.
I think they will be going for making albums rather than touring from now on, I have no evidence to back this up with of course. I feel that they will go back to Eno/Lanois after this though, but for now they want a raw, rock album.
By the way Eno/Lanois is my favoured production combination, they are the best!!

Aygo said:
Yeah, but if Rubin is in the studio now, what would be the point of joining later Eno and Lanois when the "job was half-done" or at least the main thing? I think that the duo Lanois/Eno would work if it was in the main stage, not as a complement at the end.

Like I said, maybe Rubin won't be available in 2007, or at least less so than currently in London.

Back
Top Bottom