Thinking ahead to next tour's opening acts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DontExpect

Acrobat
The Vertigo Tour was a pretty good example of a band keeping track of good emerging (and established) acts and getting them onboard. While some bands weren't as good as others, overall U2 did a pretty good job picking and choosing.

Assuming we have a tour sometime in 2008, who would you like to see open for U2?

I'm not all that on top of the current music scene, but one of the bands that sorta fits the mold of past opening acts for me is British Sea Power. They aren't too big in the US, but I'm not sure how big they are overseas. The other name that came to mind for me was Dredg. Those guys are sorta similar to the sound of Institute from the Vertigo third leg shows (but a WHOLE LOT BETTER). Both of these bands have that same kind of sound that it seems U2 likes for their opening bands, and the diversity of their music suits them for a band like U2.

Can't wait to hear what your ideas are!

Jay-Z

Why? Lyrics for Guns & Roses by Jay-Z:

Post Postatono, Hov' hangin with Bono
You too can live like Salvatore Ferragamo
And you too can cool out poolside after Delano
And you too flow like you was out of your mind yo
And who knew dude who loved apple pies from McDonalds
Would soon be the boss of the Big Apple, ya know

1. Michael Franti and Spearhead -- their latest album, "Yell Fire" is great, Franti is a highly politicized leftie like Bono, Franti opened for U2 in 1992 with his old band The Disposable Heroes Of Hiphoprisy ("Television - Drug Of The Nation")

2. Tom Morello (solo)

3. Cat Power

4. Iggy And The Stooges

5. Britney

6. Rocko Reedy

Axver said:
PORCUPINE TREE.

/thread

Would you really want them to open though? For anyone. I mean, wouldn't you much rather see them as a headliner when they would be able to put on a full show to an interested crowd than put on an abbreviated show to people who just want them to get the hell off stage so the main act can come on?

My Morning Jacket

^^Band is blowing up, just opened up for Pearl Jam last year, and they are such an awesome live band.

indra said:

Would you really want them to open though? For anyone. I mean, wouldn't you much rather see them as a headliner when they would be able to put on a full show to an interested crowd than put on an abbreviated show to people who just want them to get the hell off stage so the main act can come on?

i was about to say mew...

...but nowadays i think it would be more appropriate if u2 opened for mew than the other way around.

indra said:

Heh, yeah, I nearly said that U2 should open for Porcupine Tree. I would love to go to a U2 concert and actually have a decent opening band though (as they are few and far between in my opinion), and more exposure for Porcupine Tree can only be a good thing.

Not that their style of music would really suit a U2 audience ... ah well.

zoopop said:
My Morning Jacket

^^Band is blowing up, just opened up for Pearl Jam last year, and they are such an awesome live band.

I second that. I saw them open for Beth Orton several years ago. We thought they were Beth's roadies until they started playing. They are awesome live. I've seen them like 6 times since.

I'd also add Motion City Soundtrack. They're a fun band live.

Mark---I'll take more Arcade Fire, too.

besides, a 2008 tour is pretty optimistic

i see an album being released fall of 2008, tour spring of 2009

who knows who will be an up and coming band in 2009?

Chizip said:
besides, a 2008 tour is pretty optimistic

i see an album being released fall of 2008, tour spring of 2009

who knows who will be an up and coming band in 2009?

oasis.

for the US, a few shows with scissor sisters would be great. While they have a loyal following here in america, they still aren't very well known.

PORCUPINE TREE are just plain AWFUL!!!!

bring on the likes of

Snow Patrol
Razorlight
Kings of Leon
Arctic Monkeys
Arcade Fire
Editors
Fratellis
Kasabian
Killers
Kooks
Muse (think these might be too big to be support)
The View
We are Sceintist

andyuk said:

I'd love to hear Muse open for U2. I think they are more popular in Europe than in the US, so it would be some great exposure for them here.
After the Elevation Tour with openers like Garbage and No Doubt, I think any "size" band is a possibility.

Mark

corianderstem said:
I'll be up and coming in 2009, they should bring me on tour.

:up:

Can I be your roadie? :wink:

I'm a fan of a UK band called The Wombats. They don't have a major label deal yet, but who knows what could happen for them between now and U2's next tour.

Back
Top Bottom