"They're a Boy Band, We're a Man Band..."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RademR

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
"Their a Boy Band, We're a Man Band..."

Dont know if its been posted yet, he is an interview of CD:UK's interview with U2 from yesterday.
____

Cat Deeley caught up with U2 in the south of France for CD:UK. The interview was partly filmed in with all the band members in a lemon-coloured convertible (Larry was driving). After collecting Cat from the side of the road, most of the interview was shot around a table on a balcony. The interview was interspersed with footage of the studio video of "Vertigo," clips from Coldplay, Franz Ferdinand, Hanson, the videos of "Beautiful Day," "Stuck in a Moment" and footage from the Elevation Slane show(s).

CD: First of all, I have to say thank you very much for inviting me to the south of France. Thank you. And we're back again talking about another new album. How does it compare to the last one, the new one?

Edge: I have to say right now, I think it's even better. When I was saying that we haven't made THE record, we've got close. I think we've got VERY close this time.

CD: Is it true your copy of the album got stolen?

Edge: Well, to be honest, it was the only copy we had. Basically, it was lifted. It wasn't the case of it being left on a bus or something. It was actually stolen...

Bono: Tell you what, the French police were really on it. I mean, the place was surrounded. They were coming out of helicopters. It was kinda Pink Panther. It was like (in heavy French accent) "Where were you, at two thirty? The Edge was in the car..." Kinda mad.

CD: The first single's going to be "Vertigo." Why did you choose that as the first single?

Bono: We needed a kind of, you know, an opening gambit, "Hello, hello, I'm at a place called Vertigo." And it was just that again, felt like the mood of the times. You know you feel like here we are at the pinnacle of whatever it is, capitalism, the 21st century, everyone feels a little like it's about to topple. (Holds arms up and wobbles from side to side.)

CD: So come on then, what do you think of the general state of music at the moment?

Edge: We were at the Q Awards, and the number of rock and roll bands in the category for new artists was great.

Bono: I feel nervous when I hear Coldplay. When I hear them on the radio, I go "Ooh" (exhales sharply), so that must mean they're really great. Franz Ferdinand, feel a little nervous, a little twitch.

CD: There's so many people in the industry that do hold you in such high esteem. People like Coldplay and Keane that literally turn round and go "Wow! U2 are amazing!" How does that feel to get rec...?

Edge: Really? Do they say that?

Bono: Edge just wants you to say that twice. The only people who have the confidence to praise the people that come before them are people who are very sure that they're going to pass you out, who, they should be confident, like the Killers should be confident, like Franz Ferdinand should be confident. But we are not going to make it easy for them. We're going to make their lives miserable for the next few years. Because, how embarrassing is it going to be in five years time if we're still the best band in the world?

CD: What about Westlife? What do you think they do for Irish music?

Bono: They're a boy band, we're a man band. What else is there to say?

Edge: I think if they're great songs, you can't really argue, you know...

Bono: I'll tell you one of my favourite songs, ever -- long-haired, blond-haired kids...

CD: Hanson!

Bono: Hanson

CD: Uh-wop...

Bono: This is one of my favourite songs of all time. They were an amazing band. Pop music is alright. It's just it's over there (gesticulates with left hand). It's not where we live.

CD: Are you going to tour with this album?

Edge and Bono: Yeah.

Edge: Yeah, definitely, it's going to be a good album to tour. It's certainly going to be next year.

CD: So will you be playing Glastonbury at all?

Bono: I think we're going to have to. I'm not sure it's going to be this next summer, but maybe the summer after. It's a...I'd love to be a part of that.

CD: What do you think about how obsessed everybody is with celebrity at the moment?

Edge: We're very lucky, actually, to be honest, because we're not, we're not in the tabloids as much as a lot of people might imagine.

Bono: It's the people who walk out of their hotel room with hoods over their head who really want the attention. It's the people who sit down and talk about how hard it is, the whinging rock stars and pop stars. They're the ones who think too much about it. I forget I'm in a band these days. I literally have no, I forget.

(Cut to Bono in passenger seat of lemon coloured open top car)
Bono (sings): A rock star is a person in your neighbourhood (waves to people in buildings lining streets). He's the kind that you meet when you're walking down the street.

Bono: I think celebrity is ridiculous, but it's currency, and I think we try to spend ours wisely. Which is why we do our political stuff, try to put it to some use. For all the work that I might be doing on Africa and AIDS emergency and all that stuff, that would be an amazing thing to be remembered for. And I want to spend my life outside of U2 working to that end. And I'll tell you what, it's not really where I want to be. This is where I want to be.

Edge: This is Bono's real day job. The other stuff is...

CD: His Saturday job, his paper round.

Bono: It is my paper round.

Adam: I think he's done amazing things, and, you know those things speak for themselves.

Larry: So, Bono, "This is Your Life" (mimes handing over the Red Book).

The end of the interview showed the band members being towed away in the car.

Cat Deeley promised that on next week's CD:UK U2 would be performing "Vertigo" live in the studio.

Cat also mentioned that Bono reportedly described the Scissor Sisters as the best pop band in the world, and that it's looking pretty likely that he'll be taking them out on the road when U2 embark on their massive world tour next year.

Yea I want to go to the Montreal show.....I am not sure if I want to see them opening it.

Re: "Their a Boy Band, We're a Man Band..."

RademR said:
Bono: I'll tell you one of my favourite songs, ever -- long-haired, blond-haired kids...

CD: Hanson!

Bono: Hanson

CD: Uh-wop...

Bono: This is one of my favourite songs of all time. They were an amazing band. Pop music is alright. It's just it's over there (gesticulates with left hand). It's not where we live.

No disrespect to Bono or any Hanson fans, but :yuck:

:down:

I can honestly say I totally agree with Bono. That mmmbop song was fantastic! I loved it, it was such a energetic fun song. How can you bag it? It's one of the very very few pop songs that are listenable.

Re: "Their a Boy Band, We're a Man Band..."

Some random thoughts:

-U2 will never admit the previous album is better otherwise no one would buy the new one, so Cat asked a stupid question.

-If it indeed was the only copy U2 had of the new album, then it goes to show how unprofessional they are in archiving their recorded and completed material.

-It is great that Bono appreciates the musical talent of Hanson. At least those kids write their own songs and play their own instruments as opposed to the Backstreet Boys or Boyzone.

-U2 have such low self-esteem and lack of confidence nowadays. When you start comparing yourself to hacks like Coldplay, Franz Ferdinand and The Killers then it means you have probably lost faith in your ability.

Cheers,

J

Re: Re: "Their a Boy Band, We're a Man Band..."

jick said:
Some random thoughts:

-U2 will never admit the previous album is better otherwise no one would buy the new one, so Cat asked a stupid question.

-If it indeed was the only copy U2 had of the new album, then it goes to show how unprofessional they are in archiving their recorded and completed material.

-It is great that Bono appreciates the musical talent of Hanson. At least those kids write their own songs and play their own instruments as opposed to the Backstreet Boys or Boyzone.

-U2 have such low self-esteem and lack of confidence nowadays. When you start comparing yourself to hacks like Coldplay, Franz Ferdinand and The Killers then it means you have probably lost faith in your ability.

Cheers,

J

Coldplay and Franz Fedinand aren't hacks... I'm the biggest U2 fan out there, and I think Bono can save the world, but that doesn't blind me of other people's musical talents.. if you don't like them, fine, but for me they are really awesome

also, it was probably the only copy they burned onto a CD is what Edge probably meant, they obviously had it already on a computer

Last edited:
The video of this was so much fun. The guys looked great and energetic about the upcoming tour. Fun-luving group that they are show's through. :dance: I was smiling and laughing all the way thru.:laugh:
*off to watch it again*

Thanks for the transcript RademR :up:

jick said:
Some random thoughts:

Cheers,

J

:rolleyes:

jick said:
It is great that Bono appreciates the musical talent of Hanson. At least those kids write their own songs and play their own instruments as opposed to the Backstreet Boys or Boyzone.

Like I said, I meant to disrespect to either Bono or anyone who likes Hanson, I just personally don't care for their music, whether they write it themselves or not.

jick said:
Some random thoughts:

Cheers,

J

oh look, suprise surprise
jick's being positive again... :yawn:

J, how can you praise them for supporting Hanson and bash them for enjoying Coldplay and Franz Ferdinand? I really have no opinion on Hanson, but if your justification is their playing of their own instruments.... so do Coldplay and FF? Is it just some elitist attempt at being anti-trendy? I dunno. Not trying to be rude, it just seems a little inconsistent

This whole interview made me really giggle, Bono twitching and Larry at the end, Bono This is your life!!! Sooo funny! :lmao:

really hate to do this but i'm soooo picky about this kind of thing...

its "THEY'RE a boy band..." not "THEIR a boy band..."

sorry :huh:

jick said:
Some random thoughts:

Cheers,

J

Errrrrr - I think you need to watch the video of this interview Jick - there was lots of swagger, plenty of confidence - but we know you like to stir things up old man!

Back
Top Bottom