Theory on why Mullen did not understand POP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jick

Refugee
"I'm just, like trying to find clarity, y'know. Some people have now heard the record and they want to talk about it and I just feel . . . (grimaces) I just need a week. Having said that, it's very hard to find a place for this record. It doesn't have the sort of grounding that maybe some of the other records have. So that's my problem." --- Mullen circa 1997 before POP's release.

"I dunno. It's very hard because y'know, a lot of people are saying, Have you become dance or trip hop? You hear all these (screws up face) terms used. I'm not comfortable with any one particular genre of music. I just like idea of taking whatever's out there and fucking with it. It's very easy to just lose what's special about a band through technology, and we've touched on that a couple of times. Zooropa was the start of it and we got away with it, but in Passengers, we were just about to cross over into an area that I wasn't comfortable with. So this record was an opportunity for me to actually take it back to (pauses) . . . there's no word to describe it as such. But I'm concerned with these reference points. It's a load of bollocks. We're just messing with different things." ---Mullen circa 1997 before POP's release when asked "Were you going with the techno thing [in POP]?"

So in the first statement, Mullen clearly couldn't put a finger on the record, couldn't find a place for the record, and said it had no grounding which make him admit he had a problem with the record. In the second statement, he said he didn't know if they had gone techno - and he had a long pause to which he could never put to words. Clearly, Mullen didn't seem to have a clue as to what POP was all about.

Edge had a better grasp of the techno question when compared to Mullen's "I dunno."

"We also wanted to take in some new ideas from the world of dance music and hip hop or whatever, because we felt strongly that that's where music is at its most interesting at the moment. So, a lot of the time, it was really about finding our way into those worlds of trance and techno and hip hop, and learning how we could operate in those worlds, and then integrating it back into the songs we'd started to write," said the Edge also back in 1997 before POP's release.

Three years later, Mullen admitted his dilemna about POP. "I remember after the POP record being so gutted that Staring At The Sun. . . it should have been a fucking huge single but we didn't have time to finish it properly. And I remember having to do interviews, and being asked what the album was about and (does mean mean eyes) I had no... fucking ... idea. All I knew was that if we'd had one more month we could have pulled that song through," confessed Mullen in a 2000 interview with Q magazine.

So even back during the 1997 promo blitz for POP, Mullen was "trying to find clarity," "need a week," "trying to find a place for [POP]," and stated that POP doesn't have "grounding" and that he had "problems" with it. When asked the techno question, his reply was that he "didn't know." Three years later, Mullen confirmed everyone's suspicion that he didn't know jack about POP. He admitted to having "no fucking idea" what POP was about.

I theorize that Mullen's lack of understanding about POP is because he missed most of the sessions due to his bad back. The other 3 U2 members had to rely on drum machines to get them through the day. And Edge's admission of dance, techno, trance, an hip hop integration in POP muddles up Mullen's role even more because those forms of music generally rely on non-traditional drumming methods such as programmed beats or drum machines which renders Mullen useless.

So the POP record was clearly U2 not firing on all four cylinders. At least the manual drum portion of U2 was just banging aimlessly without understanding what he was doing. It's a shame that a man of Mullen's stature, as founder of the band, had "no fucking idea" what POP was all about - yet all the armchair critics in U2 fan forums can understand POP in all its hiphop, dance, trance, and techno glory.

POP could have been much better if Mullen had more knowledge and appreciation about U2's goals and influences for that record. He admittedly didn't.

Cheers,

J

Last edited:
an interesting read!

btw lets not turn this thread into a debate on whether POP is good or not, because I'm guessing that thats not what Jick wants :)

Balfron said:
an interesting read!

btw lets not turn this thread into a debate on whether POP is good or not, because I'm guessing that thats not what Jick wants :)

I just want an analysis based on all these data as they are actual band quotes --- word for word.

Cheers,

J

I think Larry was just pissed off that it was rushed, and not that he didn't have an understanding of the album.

They could have put a lot more work into the songs had they had time, but the tour was already booked.

And they all knew it.

On VH-1 Legends, Larry seemed very unhappy with the way Pop turned out, and rushing into the tour unprepared. He said "it was a mistake, and we'll never make it again" then smiles and goes "he says" ;)

jick said:
POP in all its hiphop, dance, trance, and techno glory
wow... wow... wow... I want to say wow... reading this someone might think we're talking about Chemical Brothers record...:rolleyes:

jick, you LOVE Pop... so you listened to it... do you hear what you said above there?
Because, you know, f****** ATYCLB has the same number of electronic (that's the right word BTW) sounds as POP... did you listen to the F:censored: Beautiful Day lately? Check those "ssswwfts" and "shwwwses", digitaly procesed vocals in the background... and don't forget the only part of U2's music where they actualy DO a techno music -> in the intro to Beautiful Day!!!!!!!!!!!!
Should I even start with what's going on in elevation, grace?
Drum machines on POP? Any chance you listened to New York, In A Little While or WILATW?
Or maybe you'd like to tell me why backward drums in Miami are bad and backward strings/violins in Kite are ok?
Or how about making single versions for POP songs is "finishing" them... while making single versions for ATYCLB is not called that way?

Get a life jick... we already know your opinion... you love POP... ok, I respect that... can we move forward now?
------
As for Larry's opinion... he's a country music fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...and his opinions on music are :blahblah: to me...

Last edited:
Re: Re: Theory on why Mullen did not understand POP

bathiu said:

As for Larry's opinion... he's a country music fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...

get right outta town.

Re: Re: Theory on why Mullen did not understand POP

bathiu said:

wow... wow... wow... I want to say wow... reading this someone might think we're talking about Chemical Brothers record...:rolleyes:

jick, you LOVE Pop... so you listened to it... do you hear what you said above there?
Because, you know, f****** ATYCLB has the same number of electronic (that's the right word BTW) sounds as POP... did you listen to the F:censored: Beautiful Day lately? Check those "ssswwfts" and "shwwwses", digitaly procesed vocals in the background... and don't forget the only part of U2's music where they actualy DO a techno music -> in the intro to Beautiful Day!!!!!!!!!!!!
Should I even start with what's going on in elevation, grace?
Drum machines on POP? Any chance you listened to New York, In A Little While or WILATW?
Or maybe you'd like to tell me why backward drums in Miami are bad and backward strings/violins in Kite are ok?
Or how about making single versions for POP songs is "finishing" them... while making single versions for ATYCLB is not called that way?

Get a life jick... we already know your opinion... you love POP... ok, I respect that... can we move forward now?
------
As for Larry's opinion... he's a country music fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...and his opinions on music are :blahblah: to me...

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:
Pop is just great.
Nah is the best answer for jick's thread.
It's just too long to read it.

Pop has a lot more electronic sounds.
The only time on ATYCLB that has even remotely as much things going on in the background is Beautiful day.

Elevation and Grace "electronic sounds" = keyboards.
New York may have a drum loop at the start but for most of the song Larry plays.
In a little while, WILATW - Larry playing.
Strings in Kite aren't backwards but played by Edge.

ATYCLB single version - only Walk on had that. (Stuck acoustic doesn't count, nor does the tomb raider mix of Elevation)
Pop had 3.

Larry is a member of the band, so I'd say his opinion should have at least some weight.

If you listen to it carefully,you can hear in the beginning of IALW a sound that is similar to vinyl scratching.After that,the rhythm loop kicks in.

ATYCLB is filled with electronics,whistles and bells,but it's polished.POP isn't.POP is as raw as it gets,with a loop here and there.

Pop was a brave record and they should be proud of it. I hate to hear it run down by the band themselves.

Pop Mart was just an incredible show and the songs all stood up live.

as a consumer, i dont really care what the band think of the album. Ultimately its down to what enjoyment I get from it, no matter what Larry says. I love Pop and I love Passengers. Just because Larry has an issue with it, does not mean I am going to blindly follow his views and thoughts.

Nube Gris said:
Bono:likes Pop
Edge:loves Pop
Adam: ?
Mullen:hates Pop

Pop: What a Kickass album. Fucking extraordinary!

i bet adam loves pop too. if anyone should love pop, itd be him.

and for anyone who hates pop, you keep doing that, the rest of us love it!

also, ATYCLB sold 11 million, 4.2 in US, 6.8 milion ROW. POP sold 7 million, 1.5 in US, 5.5 ROW. ATYCLB is being called triumphant while pop is dismissed as being a dud? just because it didnt break the US doesnt make it a failure, it sold A LOT outside the US and a lot of people love it. just because americans dont like it doesnt mean it is no good. actually, it could be considered good for that exact reason, remembering the distinguished taste of the US music market.:wink:

Party Boy said:
as a consumer, i dont really care what the band think of the album. Ultimately its down to what enjoyment I get from it, no matter what Larry says. I love Pop and I love Passengers. Just because Larry has an issue with it, does not mean I am going to blindly follow his views and thoughts.

Exactly. I agree with you. It's the consumers who make the decisions and there are sales figures to show that people bought POP. 1.3 million Americans own POP. But rather than discuss the merits or demerits of POP, I am trying to pinpoint the reason for Mullen's failure to "understand" POP.

Cheers,

J

Does this topic of Pop ever grow old? :eyebrow: for someone who claims hes doesn't like Pop, Jick sure loves to write about it.
Jick i think your a closet Pop fan :wink: subconsicously and don't want to admit it..but you know its ok to like it...I do :)

All the Pop worhippers on this site will simply say that Larry 'didn't get it'......

Achtung Baby was U2s most "electronic" album and very few people complain about it. This debate is dead and as one person said it was 8 years ago it is time to move on.

POP is better then most albums by other bands, in my mind POP is better then over half the U2 back catelogue it isnt the worst record it isnt the best record but it certainly is a good record.

Yahweh said:
Achtung Baby was U2s most "electronic" album and very few people complain about it. This debate is dead and as one person said it was 8 years ago it is time to move on.

...as long as jick is on this forum, I'm afraid it's imposible...

Yahweh said:
POP is better then most albums by other bands, in my mind POP is better then over half the U2 back catelogue it isnt the worst record it isnt the best record but it certainly is a good record.

That is very true. It's U2's 5th favorite album in my book... and if I remember corectly it was also something like that in albums' Survivor here...:up: Not the best... but also not the worst... as a vocal minority here like to call it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom