Theory on why Mullen did not understand POP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"It's [POP] not a rock guitar record." --- Edge circa 1997.

"Unfinished." --- Bono circa 2000 in reference to POP.

"A record no member of U2 would describe as 'finished'..." --- Q magazine circa 2000

The band members have spoken."

Hey, didn't you said that your thread was only to discuss Mullens understanding of Pop?
By the way, your comment was very stupid and out of place. Figure that out by yourself.........but i bet you are not able to

J is not stupid, you guys, he's a law student, and speaks a foreign language (English) better than many of its natives. Don't take potshots at his intelligence (but then again that always happens to someone who doesn't love Pop:| )

Jick, you're not stupid. I see that, because you are from Pfillipines and write very good english. You always put something here, are you a troll or not, i don't care. But,
I have only one question for you:

WHY DO YOU BASH POP?
There are worse albums to bash(Ratlle and hum).

Larry's had a problem with U2's direction since Achtung Baby. In Bill Flanagan's book U2: At the End of the World, he talks about how Adam and Larry stood opposed to Edge and Bono on where they wanted to go with the band. Larry wanted to explore Led Zeppelin while Edge and Bono wanted to go more towards and industrial feel. The rift just grew and without Larry and Adam the band would have went too far. I've always felt the band was saving face when they started saying Pop was unfinished. One complaint I have of the last two albums is that they are too polished, over produced, sometimes you can work a song to death, I think this might have happened on Pop, but we'll never know.

jick said:

"Playing bass has become much simpler the last two records [HTDAAB & ATYCLB]. Before it used to be so complicated. I was always trying to come up with the best possible, ever. When you put yourself under that much pressure you don't necessarily get anywhere The wheels just spin a lot." ---Clayton talking about U2's body of work starting with POP going down in reverse chronological order.

We already established in another thread that this quote from Adam Clayton doesn't necessarily reflect ONLY Pop, as he doesn't specify it, but rather any or every U2 album up to ATYCLB.

jick said:

So POP sold a lot worldwide and even 1.3 million is a sales figure many artists would love to have for the US. But we are not talking about the millions here - just about one man - Mullen. But he is no ordinary man. I think Mullen is a man whose opinions should be given great consideration and there is value in analyzing his statements.

Cheers,

J

Dear troll,
Just in case your memory is not working properly and we all know that we can't "rely on the unreliable memory of man"... I want to remind you that it is you that first pointed to the "milions" of "customers" in the context of POP... smartly avoiding worldwide figures and pointing only those from america.
But of course this thread is about Larry.

Well, I'll tell you something... it's only another thread about you and about your EGO. You probably can't sleep well when your thread is not 7 pages long... wich explains why you always start to answer posts when the thread is already going down... and when many people don't even remember posting there... wich makes you the last person with the argument answering - ergo - making you the smart one.
Very clever!

Your Adam->Pop-bashing thread, might I add, a total BS thread was a failure... so now it's Larry's turn?
What's next? Edge? Bono?
What are you? Why you're on this crusade?
You can't have an erection without making some pop-bashing posts/threads?
How about getting a life?
Think about it.

U2Kitten said:
Don't take potshots at his intelligence (but then again that always happens to someone who doesn't love Pop:| )

Your crusade is also boring already.
You're not solving a problem, you're only adding fuel to the fire with your posts.
Think about.
You had some bad experiances in the past, OK... can we move along now?

Guys

May I suggest that personal attacks have no place on this board?

Also, when someone puts forward a point of view, and someone replies with an insult to him but no response to the view it kind of looks like they have no reply to the view, which kind of suggests it is right.

If you want to criticise Pop or Jick's view/argument then fire away, if you want to criticise Jick then do it elsewhere because here is not the place.

I would realy like not to make such posts.
But when I see a troll hiding behind sweet words like "I like/love it" and then destroy it to death just for personal satisfaction.
In many posts he was praising the band but right behind those words is poison insulting the band in the worst way, search for his posts.
The mods do nothing.
The "two words" from Larry are to jick, realy they are.
Should I even start with his avatar?
It's insulting not only the band, but also many people on this forum.
The mods do nothing.
So let us at least express ourself freely about his posts.

Cool down Mama...;)

You're only indulging Jick, by allowing yourself to be provoked so strongly. Each person is entitled to their own opinion, yes...but that includes Jick as well, no matter how negative he can be.

bathiu said:
I would realy like not to make such posts.
But when I see a troll hiding behind sweet words like "I like/love it" and then destroy it to death just for personal satisfaction.
In many posts he was praising the band but right behind those words is poison insulting the band in the worst way, search for his posts.
The mods do nothing.
The "two words" from Larry are to jick, realy they are.
Should I even start with his avatar?
It's insulting not only the band, but also many people on this forum.
The mods do nothing.
So let us at least express ourself freely about his posts.

No one is being forced to read Jick's threads, every member does have an ignore list in their profile. No one is being forced to respond. But if you want something done so badly, fine. After reading the last couple of pages, I think this one is done for beyond repair anyway.

Future threads full of constant bickering and name-calling may also be closed without hesitation. This is directed at anyone and everyone who participates in or instigates that. It needs to stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom