Theory on why Mullen did not understand POP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thier might be electronic sounds on ATYCLB but thier not coming from a dance point of view. discoteqe is danceable. elevation is not. the electronic stuff on elevation was used to make it more a rock song, not danceable. elevation is like a easy listening nine inch nails song. nin uses eletronics but thier not danceable. get it? nothing on ATYCLB is danceable. this is pretty dam clear.

jick said:

It's the consumers who make the decisions and there are sales figures to show that people bought POP. 1.3 million Americans own POP. But rather than discuss the merits or demerits of POP, I am trying to pinpoint the reason for Mullen's failure to "understand" POP.

Cheers,

J

Dear troll,
There are artist on this PLANET that are selling from 5mln to 10mln records "worldwide" and are not selling a single album in america (that are promoted only in Europe and "down under").
Why do you care about america so much... you don't even live there!
America is not the whole world... so if you like to troll around...ahem... write about POP use the worldwide sales numbers. That is 8mln (the band) or 7mln ("people that know" on this forum)... believe in number you want... by your philosophy you should trust the band... but being a troll I'm sure you'll choose the lower number.

/side note/ POP was 10th best selling album of 1997 in america... only boybands, girlbands and hip-hop were higher...which will never change no matter how much records they'll sell.
The "not important" in your book REST OF THE WORLD had POP even higher in the charts at the end of the year.

It was a bad year for music bussines... and in that, it was a good year to U2.

Numbology said:
If you listen to it carefully,you can hear in the beginning of IALW a sound that is similar to vinyl scratching.After that,the rhythm loop kicks in.

ATYCLB is filled with electronics,whistles and bells,but it's polished.POP isn't.POP is as raw as it gets,with a loop here and there.

No loops, Larry is playing. Loops would be credited in the liner notes.

Pop's samples and loops (all over the album, not just here and there) make ATYCLB sound like a live album. Very little "raw" about it, they even distorted Edge's guitar.

I have a tv interview somewhere where Larry said hes "left brained" and found Pop too difficult for that reason. Bono agreed and stated that it was good to get Larry out of the left side of his brain for a while.

Or heck , was that Passengers? I'm sure it was Pop. Hang on.....

It was Passengers. I just watched it again. It was from a Pop documentary hence my confusion. Larry was in front of his green Pop square stating that right side of his brain is redundant etc blah.

Don't mind me. I'll be leaving now.....

jick said:
"I'm just, like trying to find clarity, y'know. Some people have now heard the record and they want to talk about it and I just feel . . . (grimaces) I just need a week. Having said that, it's very hard to find a place for this record. It doesn't have the sort of grounding that maybe some of the other records have. So that's my problem." --- Mullen circa 1997 before POP's release.

"I dunno. It's very hard because y'know, a lot of people are saying, Have you become dance or trip hop? You hear all these (screws up face) terms used. I'm not comfortable with any one particular genre of music. I just like idea of taking whatever's out there and fucking with it. It's very easy to just lose what's special about a band through technology, and we've touched on that a couple of times. Zooropa was the start of it and we got away with it, but in Passengers, we were just about to cross over into an area that I wasn't comfortable with. So this record was an opportunity for me to actually take it back to (pauses) . . . there's no word to describe it as such. But I'm concerned with these reference points. It's a load of bollocks. We're just messing with different things." ---Mullen circa 1997 before POP's release when asked "Were you going with the techno thing [in POP]?"

So in the first statement, Mullen clearly couldn't put a finger on the record, couldn't find a place for the record, and said it had no grounding which make him admit he had a problem with the record. In the second statement, he said he didn't know if they had gone techno - and he had a long pause to which he could never put to words. Clearly, Mullen didn't seem to have a clue as to what POP was all about.

Edge had a better grasp of the techno question when compared to Mullen's "I dunno."

"We also wanted to take in some new ideas from the world of dance music and hip hop or whatever, because we felt strongly that that's where music is at its most interesting at the moment. So, a lot of the time, it was really about finding our way into those worlds of trance and techno and hip hop, and learning how we could operate in those worlds, and then integrating it back into the songs we'd started to write," said the Edge also back in 1997 before POP's release.

Three years later, Mullen admitted his dilemna about POP. "I remember after the POP record being so gutted that Staring At The Sun. . . it should have been a fucking huge single but we didn't have time to finish it properly. And I remember having to do interviews, and being asked what the album was about and (does mean mean eyes) I had no... fucking ... idea. All I knew was that if we'd had one more month we could have pulled that song through," confessed Mullen in a 2000 interview with Q magazine.

So even back during the 1997 promo blitz for POP, Mullen was "trying to find clarity," "need a week," "trying to find a place for [POP]," and stated that POP doesn't have "grounding" and that he had "problems" with it. When asked the techno question, his reply was that he "didn't know." Three years later, Mullen confirmed everyone's suspicion that he didn't know jack about POP. He admitted to having "no fucking idea" what POP was about.

I theorize that Mullen's lack of understanding about POP is because he missed most of the sessions due to his bad back. The other 3 U2 members had to rely on drum machines to get them through the day. And Edge's admission of dance, techno, trance, an hip hop integration in POP muddles up Mullen's role even more because those forms of music generally rely on non-traditional drumming methods such as programmed beats or drum machines which renders Mullen useless.

So the POP record was clearly U2 not firing on all four cylinders. At least the manual drum portion of U2 was just banging aimlessly without understanding what he was doing. It's a shame that a man of Mullen's stature, as founder of the band, had "no fucking idea" what POP was all about - yet all the armchair critics in U2 fan forums can understand POP in all its hiphop, dance, trance, and techno glory.

POP could have been much better if Mullen had more knowledge and appreciation about U2's goals and influences for that record. He admittedly didn't.

Cheers,

J

Pop has Larry's best ever drumming, most reviews state this, so your stuff about Drum machines is rubbish, as is most of what you say, but congratulations on another good wind up Jickle!!

and you do love Pop, you sarky devil!

U2girl said:

No loops, Larry is playing. Loops would be credited in the liner notes.

Pop's samples and loops make ATYCLB sound like a live album.

I see it totaly oposite... ATYCLB sounds like a lifeless, machine-made music... without any space, without any soul, without a theme and personality...

loops... and drum machines is not the same... there are loops on POP, the whole background to MIAMI is one or two parts of music looped... but there is also Larry playing.
Please (album version) is a live (studio) track, Larry never did and never will shine with his drums more than in this song.
But, WILATW, IALW, New York... it is Larry playing, as always... but in dry, processed loops... and you wont find it credited anywhere because it's a "looped" Larry and not made by Producers sounds' loops like on Pop, wich has to be credited.

Last edited:
No wind ups or trolling here. Am just presenting Mullen's quotes as they appeared word for word. It is fact that Mullen said all of this. And I am just analyzing these facts. But even without having to analyze, Mullen's strong words like "no fucking idea" clearly show where he stands.

Cheers,

J

Ellay said:
I think Larry was just pissed off that it was rushed, and not that he didn't have an understanding of the album.

"And I remember having to do interviews, and being asked what the album was about and (does mean mean eyes) I had no... fucking ... idea. " -- Mullen

Re: Re: Theory on why Mullen did not understand POP

bathiu said:

wow... wow... wow... I want to say wow... reading this someone might think we're talking about Chemical Brothers record...:rolleyes:

jick, you LOVE Pop... so you listened to it... do you hear what you said above there?
Because, you know, f****** ATYCLB has the same number of electronic (that's the right word BTW) sounds as POP... did you listen to the F:censored: Beautiful Day lately? Check those "ssswwfts" and "shwwwses", digitaly procesed vocals in the background... and don't forget the only part of U2's music where they actualy DO a techno music -> in the intro to Beautiful Day!!!!!!!!!!!!
Should I even start with what's going on in elevation, grace?
Drum machines on POP? Any chance you listened to New York, In A Little While or WILATW?
Or maybe you'd like to tell me why backward drums in Miami are bad and backward strings/violins in Kite are ok?
Or how about making single versions for POP songs is "finishing" them... while making single versions for ATYCLB is not called that way?

Get a life jick... we already know your opinion... you love POP... ok, I respect that... can we move forward now?
------
As for Larry's opinion... he's a country music fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...and his opinions on music are :blahblah: to me...

"We also wanted to take in some new ideas from the world of dance music and hip hop or whatever, because we felt strongly that that's where music is at its most interesting at the moment. So, a lot of the time, it was really about finding our way into those worlds of trance and techno and hip hop, and learning how we could operate in those worlds, and then integrating it back into the songs we'd started to write." ---Edge circa 1997

Nube Gris said:
Bono:likes Pop
Edge:loves Pop
Adam: ?
Mullen:hates Pop

Pop: What a Kickass album. Fucking extraordinary!

That's your opinion. We all have given our opinions of POP in one thread or another. This thread is to discuss Mullen's opinion and lack of understanding of POP.

Cheers,

J

Numbology said:
If you listen to it carefully,you can hear in the beginning of IALW a sound that is similar to vinyl scratching.After that,the rhythm loop kicks in.

ATYCLB is filled with electronics,whistles and bells,but it's polished.POP isn't.POP is as raw as it gets,with a loop here and there.

This is not about electronics or just drum machines. ATYCLB wasn't about incorporating hip-hop, dance, trance, and techno into U2's music. POP was, so if you like those genres then chances are you like POP. My theory is that Mullen didn't quite understand those genres that's why he had no fucking idea what POP was all about.

Cheers,

J

Larry is a no bull kind of guy, so what do you expect his feelings about POP to be, he probably felt like hitting Bono on ocassion, look at how uncomfortable he looks in the Discotheque video, come on Larry would to have liked to burn down the lemon, it's a personal matter really..........

bathiu said:

Dear troll,
There are artist on this PLANET that are selling from 5mln to 10mln records "worldwide" and are not selling a single album in america (that are promoted only in Europe and "down under").
Why do you care about america so much... you don't even live there!
America is not the whole world... so if you like to troll around...ahem... write about POP use the worldwide sales numbers. That is 8mln (the band) or 7mln ("people that know" on this forum)... believe in number you want... by your philosophy you should trust the band... but being a troll I'm sure you'll choose the lower number.

/side note/ POP was 10th best selling album of 1997 in america... only boybands, girlbands and hip-hop were higher...which will never change no matter how much records they'll sell.
The "not important" in your book REST OF THE WORLD had POP even higher in the charts at the end of the year.

It was a bad year for music bussines... and in that, it was a good year to U2.

So POP sold a lot worldwide and even 1.3 million is a sales figure many artists would love to have for the US. But we are not talking about the millions here - just about one man - Mullen. But he is no ordinary man. I think Mullen is a man whose opinions should be given great consideration and there is value in analyzing his statements.

Cheers,

J

Re: Re: Theory on why Mullen did not understand POP

matt76 said:

Pop has Larry's best ever drumming, most reviews state this, so your stuff about Drum machines is rubbish, as is most of what you say, but congratulations on another good wind up Jickle!!

and you do love Pop, you sarky devil!

POP having Mullen's best ever drumming? That is your opinion and those of the "most reviews" who you fail to name with particularity.

But whether it was good or not, what is clear is that Mullen didn't know what he was doing when POP was being made - as he had "no fucking idea." So any genius that was perceived by others wasn't an intentional brilliance but more of an accidental type or a beauty-lies-in-eye-of-the-beholder type love of his drumming.

You can have you say but I doubt Mullen would personally consider his best drumming work as something that he had "no fucking idea" about.

Cheers,

J

the funny thing is that i remember an interview (i think it's from the documentary "one year in pop" where larry says exactly that pop represents the essence of u2 along with zooropa and achtung baby.

... maybe he has "no fucking idea" of what is the essence of u2...

bedouin fire said:
the funny thing is that i remember an interview (i think it's from the documentary "one year in pop" where larry says exactly that pop represents the essence of u2 along with zooropa and achtung baby.

... maybe he has "no fucking idea" of what is the essence of u2...

Never rely on the unreliable memory of man. It would be helpful if you could find the exact quote so it would be easier to understand exactly where Mullen was coming from.

Cheers,

J

"And I remember having to do interviews, and being asked what the album [POP] was about and (does mean mean eyes) I had no... fucking ... idea." --- Mullen circa 2000

"Playing bass has become much simpler the last two records [HTDAAB & ATYCLB]. Before it used to be so complicated. I was always trying to come up with the best possible, ever. When you put yourself under that much pressure you don't necessarily get anywhere The wheels just spin a lot." ---Clayton talking about U2's body of work starting with POP going down in reverse chronological order.

"We also wanted to take in some new ideas from the world of dance music and hip hop or whatever, because we felt strongly that that's where music is at its most interesting at the moment. So, a lot of the time, it was really about finding our way into those worlds of trance and techno and hip hop, and learning how we could operate in those worlds, and then integrating it back into the songs we'd started to write." --- Edge circa 1997.

"It's [POP] not a rock guitar record." --- Edge circa 1997.

"Unfinished." --- Bono circa 2000 in reference to POP.

"A record no member of U2 would describe as 'finished'..." --- Q magazine circa 2000

The band members have spoken.

Cheers,

J

Re: Re: Re: Theory on why Mullen did not understand POP

jick said:

But whether it was good or not, what is clear is that Mullen didn't know what he was doing when POP was being made - as he had "no fucking idea." So any genius that was perceived by others wasn't an intentional brilliance but more of an accidental type or a beauty-lies-in-eye-of-the-beholder type love of his drumming.
J

:no: Larry may not have been able explain what Pop was all about, but that doesn't necessarily mean he was incapable of belting out some arse kickin beats on it

jick said:

Never rely on the unreliable memory of man. It would be helpful if you could find the exact quote so it would be easier to understand exactly where Mullen was coming from.

Cheers,

J

don't mind with the exact quote. wether you like it or not, he said that and the meaning of it is easy to understand. if you want, search in the documentary and you will find it.

the only one here who is good in using and manipulating quotes to express personal opinions is not me.

and please don't loose your time answering that this is not about your opinion, but about "mullen's lack of understanding on pop".

I am starting to believe that next will come something like:

“clayton lost his glasses in a pop recording session: lack of vision on that album”,
or
“lack of creativity on the band during pop: two songs starting with the word ‘if’’”,
or
“there were no car chase when the band was in Miami: pop is an artificial album”,
or even better
“ ‘ jesus help me’ from wudm: bono’s asking for divine help for pop being succeeded”

as you can see, there are still a lot of facts and quotes of pop for you to explore… go on j boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom