The Year They Can't Leave Behind

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gina Marie

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Year They Can't Leave Behind

The Irish Independent, December 29, 2001

They may have admitted to a "mid-life crisis," but U2 still had the creative power to dominate the rock/pop stage this year. Their triumphant Elevation tour was crowned with two emotion-charged gigs at Slane. John Meagher reports.

Forget about your Britneys, Westlifes and any of the bright young things you care to mention. This was the year of the golden oldie, the old fogey, the survivor. 2001 proved that rock 'n' roll isn't just a young man's game.

A glance at the list of major acts that played Ireland this year shows that old rockers never die they just keep on touring. Bob Dylan, The Eagles, '60s luminaries Fairport Convention and Hawkwind, Nils Lofgren, Neil Young, Lee Scratch Perry and not forgetting Andy Williams, all trod the boards here in 2001.

And not all of them were re-hashing old material. Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger, Ronnie Wood and Bob Dylan will all be eligible for a bus-pass soon, but none was prepared to sit on past glories. They all released albums of new material this year, with Dylan's Love And Theft a serious contender for record of the year.

U2 may have a while to go before they qualify for free public transport but young bands don't sing of having a "mid-life crisis," as Bono does on "New York." And each of the band even the Dorian Gray-like Larry Mullen has reached his 40s.

But the U2 of today are just as energetic now as the gaunt souls that emerged from Dublin's northside 20 years ago. And if 2001 belonged to anyone, it was U2's.

The marathon Elevation tour, which has just ended, saw the band playing electric sets in the U.S. and Europe. Then there were the two triumphant homecoming concerts at Slane Castle. The 160,000 tickets were snapped up in record time, and few were disappointed with the performances.

Slane One was particularly poignant as Bono had buried his father, Bob, just days previously. In what was an emotionally-charged concert, images of Bob Hewson were relayed to the crowd during the spine-tingling "One."

When he wasn't cavorting on stages across the globe, Bono was hanging out with world leaders thanks to his involvement with the Drop The Debt campaign. This work won him much praise, but he had his detractors. One press photograph photo showed him joking with Vladimir Putin and Tony Blair at the World Trade Talks in Genoa on the day that a protester was shot dead by the police. Some highlighted the irony of a very wealthy entertainer campaigning about poverty.

U2's impressive bank balance was fattened even further this year. Released in October 2000, their 10th studio album, the critically-acclaimed All That You Can't Leave Behind, shifted over seven million copies worldwide. In Ireland, only Dido's No Angel sold more this year. And the Elevation tour was highly lucrative, bringing in an estimated $110m unlike its predecessor, Popmart, which allegedly almost bankrupted them.

2001 did indeed belong to them. Cheers to U2!! Thanks for a great year.
smile.gif

Nice article GM, but they probably got some figures wrong. I don't think PoPmart bankrupted them either.

Well, thank you for replying to my thread, which is probably destined to sink like the Titanic.
wink.gif

It does say 'allegedly'-accdg to Larry, it did-he's still talking about that one.

Remember, he still has his First Communion money.
wink.gif

Yet hes so cheap he won't even feed his dog(s), we have to whore out to get our feed
frown.gif

Originally posted by Gina Marie:
This was the year of the golden oldie, the old fogey, the survivor. 2001 proved that rock 'n' roll isn't just a young man's game.

Yeah, this article is supposed to be reflecting upon U2 in a positive light, but..."old fogey"...doesn't that phrase usually seem to carry a negative connotation? It's not like they are in their 70's or something.

It's a nice article though...very complimentary otherwise.

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Hehe, I find it funny that I have the paper on my desk, and I always miss something like that, and find it here first
biggrin.gif

Thanks Gina
smile.gif

And the Old Fogey thing, nothin compared to the shit they usually get off people here.

You left out the best bit in that article though, from the man/muppet, Ronan"USreject"(I sing through my arse or nose, never my mouth, save that for talking shite)Keating.....

In October, he told the Irish Independent that he was annoyed that he didn't enjoy the same respect in Ireland as U2, "It's hard going from being the golden boy and everybody wanting a piece of you to people taking the piss and slagging you"

That there is the Irish wit, fair play to ya Ronan ya thick eejit ya!

Hehe, where's his number 1 fan Zoomanda with her rollyeyes??
tongue.gif

What's "Westlife?"

------------------
~*Mona*~ Secretary of Scandalization
97% compatible with Bono

"Bono was embraced as rock's latest mystic leader, a sort of holy cross between the Morrisons, Jim and Van"

"I used to gaze out my classroom window and dream And then go home and listen to Ray sing "I believe to my soul" after school" ~Van Morrison~

Originally posted by WildHonee:
What's "Westlife?"

A growth of fungii that grew outta a cow patty and formed a "boyband" *shudder*

Beware, they may try and crack the states soon, RUN...RUN!!!!!!!! Save yourself goddamit! You think Boyzone were bad?? Hooooooo mama! U ain't seen NOTHIN YET!

Originally posted by Bonochick:
Yeah, this article is supposed to be reflecting upon U2 in a positive light, but..."old fogey"...doesn't that phrase usually seem to carry a negative connotation? It's not like they are in their 70's or something.

It's a nice article though...very complimentary otherwise.

It's reasonably complimentary overall, if not particularly insightful. The usual cookie-cutter review. Elevation Review Bingo, anyone?

------------------
"...and then Dinnsdale really got angry, and he nailed my head to the floor."

"He nailed your head to the floor?"

"At first, yeah."

Originally posted by Gina Marie:
And each of the band even the Dorian Gray-like Larry Mullen has reached his 40s.

LMAO! OMG, 40! Oh no, it's the end of the world! Life ends at 40! ACK!

------------------
"A Bono approved event is a good event!"

You can dream, so dream out loud!

"The way to be optimistic is not to shut your eyes and close your ears." -Bono

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

Gina Marie...your awesome, always posting great stuff about the band.

I'm truly proud of our band's accomplishments this year, and look forward to what U2 has in store for their fans in the future. The beautiful thing about U2 is that their future has always looked bright, and they have never disappointed their fans, because have always given 110% of themselves, and always will. So I echo your sentiments...Cheers to U2, and thanks for all the wonderful memories of 2001.

Chris

Originally posted by spanisheyes:
Gina Marie...your awesome, always posting great stuff about the band.

Wow-thanks
smile.gif
. No-YOU'RE awesome. I really enjoy YOUR posts.

Thanks-you have no idea how much that cheered me up today. And ditto everything you said about U2. I guess I'd say their music 'saves my life' almost every day.

Happy and Peaceful New Year To Chris and To Everyone.
smile.gif

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
you just cant help yourself can u? ALWAYS got to add the lil line about Boyzone. Damn, boy, give it a rest!!!
rolleyes.gif

It's just so easy to drag you
and your wonkey eyes outta yer lil boyband shrine
biggrin.gif

And I agree, Boyzone were sexy, some people get turned on by laughter, excessive laughter
tongue.gif

I think the 7 million sales of ATYCLB for this year may be a bit OTT. The experts on this (DoctorWho, Sting etc)post on "Where The Album Has A Name". Sales to the end of 2000 were around 5.5/6 million, and current estimates put total sales at around just under 11 million worldwide. Whatever the actual figure is, still pretty impressive for a band written off 18 months ago

Mike

ACK!!! Then I'm already dead, I guess!!! (as are Bono and Adam!)
tongue.gif

Just you wait till YOU get here, Hipster!
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the article, GM...it has certainly be one heck of a year for them, and for me as well....

Originally posted by hippyactress:
LMAO! OMG, 40! Oh no, it's the end of the world! Life ends at 40! ACK!

[This message has been edited by Discoteque (edited 12-31-2001).]

I wish them an even better year 2002 then they did last year! I hope thye keep on showing them the way!! an their age...just makes them better! Like wine..eh for bono's sake make that vodka. lol

Back
Top Bottom