The " 'Yahweh' Is Completely Overrated" Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ElectricalVoice said:

I can name a lot of songs from U2s cataloge that is worse.

Only in the 00's

Stuck in a moment
Elevation
Wild Honey
Grace
Peace on Earth
Vertigo
Sometimes you can't...
All Because of You
A man and a woman
Crumbs from your table
Electrical Storm

Yahweh :up: It was my favourite on HTDAAB at some point. Now I don't like it so much but it's an awesome song.

Yahweh on the album - dreadful overblown rubbish, it sounds like they are trying to recreate something from Joshua Tree and failing miserably

Yahweh, live acoustic - transforms the song completely, really beautiful. totally took me by surprise when i first heard it:drool:

yahweh is extraordinarily crappy.

please refer to earnie's posts in regards to as to why i feel the way i do.

it amazes me how a song like the wanderer doesn't get more praise here. that might 7ust be one of u2's most stunning songs of all time.

and it took me years to realize it.

...perhaps that's why.

I love it.
It's a prayer, an invitation to soften your heart. To be made new.
Take this heart and make it break......
This type of thinking can and has led to all kinds of radical ideas. Like love.

All these posts about songs are just matters of opinion. You may hate Yahweh or love it. Just please refrain from stating your feelings as fact. I personally think Yahweh is a great song, and definitely very nice to listen to live. I have a feeling that if this song was on Pop or something, it would be praised. "omg this fits so perfectly into the greatest album ever made on the face of the planet that the least amount of U2 fans ever bought, thus making it amazing because only I understand its 'genious'." :huh:

no.

u2 would never have made a song like yahweh during the time of pop.

and the truth is, they didn't.

so that's not even an arguement worth getting into.

catlhere said:
"omg this fits so perfectly into the greatest album ever made on the face of the planet that the least amount of U2 fans ever bought, thus making it amazing because only I understand its 'genious'." :huh:

I think Achtung Baby is among the greatest albums ever made. Last I checked, it sold pretty well. So I don't share this overtly indie attitude you talk about. And Yahweh could never ever ever ever fit in Pop or 1997, not with the subject matter or the band's attitude back then!

Yahweh -> one of the most boring songs U2 has ever recorded, along with most of the second half of ATYCLB. I really don't know either why many U2 fans like this song a lot, I fail to see anything remotely good on this one.

Zootlesque said:

I think Achtung Baby is among the greatest albums ever made. Last I checked, it sold pretty well. So I don't share this overtly indie attitude you talk about. And Yahweh could never ever ever ever fit in Pop or 1997, not with the subject matter or the band's attitude back then!

Uh that's why I said Pop? Not A.B. :| I'm just poking fun at the people on the board who sometimes like to be hard on 00-Today songs because they aren't like U2's 90's material, hence the sarcastic quote I made referencing my opinion on the typical stuck-in-the-90's fan's view on any song not contained in Pop.

catlhere said:
All these posts about songs are just matters of opinion. You may hate Yahweh or love it. Just please refrain from stating your feelings as fact. I personally think Yahweh is a great song, and definitely very nice to listen to live. I have a feeling that if this song was on Pop or something, it would be praised. "omg this fits so perfectly into the greatest album ever made on the face of the planet that the least amount of U2 fans ever bought, thus making it amazing because only I understand its 'genious'." :huh:

I can assure you that if you stuck Yahweh on any of the following albums, it would stand out as poor;

Boy
October
War
The Unforgettable Fire
The Joshua Tree
Rattle & Hum
Achtung Baby
Zooropa
Pop

In fact, it would still stand out as poor on ATYCLB, and miraculously stands out as poor on HTDAAB - quite an amazing accomplishment that last one.

I think Yahweh is the best album closer since R&H. It now amazes me how well they fixed the song for the album. The album version has staying power which blows me away each listen, whereas the alternative version sounds great for the first 10 listens then gets boring. Obviously music is subjective; the whole overrated argument is just plain annoying and pointless.

psshaw

all this hate for HTDAAB is so overblown

HTDAAB is their most consistant album since POP, and that was their most consistant album since Achtung Baby.

Yahweh would not stand out as poor on Rattle And Hum. Rattle And Hum stands out as poor just fine on its own.

funny thing to me is (and i have always noticed this) is that there is a group of U2 fans out there (and i would put them in the majority) who always stand by the following quote:

"Eh, yeah... U2 was good until they released (insert the name of their last album)"

When Achtung Baby came out, they said it about Rattle And Hum
When Zooropa came out, they said it about Achtung Baby
When Pop came out, they said it about Zooropa
When ATYCLB came out, they said it about Pop
and now that HTDAAB came out, they say it about ATYCLB

like there is this 2 album lag that follows their career everywhere.

it is a trite and tired argument and it has been around for decades.

I remember when Pop was out and it was all i listened to, and everyone was saying "i liked them until Zooropa came out, then they got all weird" and their US stadium tour didn't sell out and U2 was lambasted by the press (some of us remember)

And now that we are 2 albums past Pop, the tables have turned to "they were good until they went all "U2" on ATYCLB, and lost that POP edge that everyone loved so much"

It doesn't hold water. I happen to be in the set of fans who holds POP as one of their best records (depending on the day, I will argue that it is their best)... but to say they have lost their edge because of an opinion regarding a weak track is a lame argument. All the albums have their weak tracks...

the truth of it is that HTDAAB is the U2 album that most closely resembles POP in terms of sonics. (And NO, it most definitely is NOT zooropa)

in fact, Love And Peace could be a POP outtake. It would fit neatly beside Miami.

And ATYCLB is the U2 album that most closely resembles The Unforgettable Fire

Grace would fit neatly beside promenade and 4th of july.

All of these are opinions of course. but the fact remains that there will always be naysayers of the current era who overglorfy the release from two albums past.

and those same people will complain that U2 aren't playing music with HTDAAB's sound after they release their 2007 and 2010 albums.

and for the record. YAHWEH is a much better closer than Grace. Best one since Wake Up Dead Man.

Suckas!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom