The " 'Yahweh' Is Completely Overrated" Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yahweh
Yahweh
Tell me now
Why this song is just so crap

On the album, but the live version :drool:

Last edited:
LemonMacPhisto said:
The chorus of Ultraviolet kills any lyrical genius going on, but most of the lyrics and the delivery on this song still make it awesome...

I disagree, I think it's all part and parcel of the song

listen to the emotion he puts into those baby baby's

its ANGUISH.

Anything more complicated lyrically would ruin it.

The album version is blah.

Larry playing the keyboard live like a kindergartner is just embarassing. Who's idea was that one? Let's get the drummer who doesn't know how to play the keyboard play the keyboard!11! That's what I like, paying hundreds of dollars to watch a grown man stumble around like it is his first lesson. Yes!11! that will sell tickets!!11! :wink:

I do not get why anyone would have an issue with the baby, baby etc in Ultraviolet or say the yeahs in Vertigo....Bono is just using his voice as an instrument in these cases making a sound to accompany the music, neither should detract from the rest of the lyrics in the songs....

Earnie Shavers said:
"Hi, my name is Yahweh. I flat out suck. I am a rehash of a lyrical idea previously used to far greater effect and far greater meaning. I am the sound of U2 pre-programmed on a keyboard by a guy who can't quite get the sound of U2 right, because U2 would never sound this bland or generic. Granted, my theme and meaning fits in with the album, and indeed is closure to the album, but I've done it in such a weak arse way, I get the feeling that I'm just a quick summary written in 5 minutes, not really expressing anything of true feeling or depth. I am a U2-does-spirituality-for-beginners song. I am regression not progression in every sense. I am an embarrassment to this great band who have covered the topic so fucking well in the past. I will now shrink away from this bar. I am in the company of greatness, something I can never dream of living up to. I will roll over and die in a dark alley somewhere as I should."

Absolutely agree on every single point.

Places first against Three Sunrises as the only 2 songs I hate by U2.

Last edited:
Yahweh has a great musical setting. They created a musical setting full of horizon like imagery. It's as if the song is being played from an uncharted territory just behind the glow of a sunrise or sunset, whichever one prefers.

I'd have to agree with that, Layton.

The opening... I don't know what it is, but you just have this imagery of a sunrise

then later on Bono sings:

Sun is coming up on the ocean

p.s: I best you wanted to sign up as Clayton but typed wrong right? heh. love Adam!

Yahweh is one of my favourites on HTDAAB. And it means a lot to me on a personal level, so I can in no way agree with those who claim it's U2s worst to date. But honestly, it obviously is not.

I could not come up with a chorus, so I'll just shout Yahweh over and over. Yeah, that'll sound good.

drt4 said:
I could not come up with a chorus, so I'll just shout Yahweh over and over. Yeah, that'll sound good.

You could not come up with an intelligent post, so you created an inane 'criticism' instead. Yeah, that'll sound good.

That's actually pretty much how he wrote that chorus, according to some magazine or something:
Many of the songs ponder faith. The album's finale, "Yahweh," is nothing less than a prayer. When Bono was singing nonsense words to come up with a melody for the song, he found himself singing "Yahweh," a Hebrew name of God.
I think naming a U2 song "Yahweh" is pretty stupid. It'd be like Nirvana naming a song "Angsty Crap"; you're not supposed to give away your schtick like that.

namkcuR said:
I don't understand why so many of you think this song is so great, so brilliant, the perfect closer for HTDAAB etc etc. It is SO bland. It sounds like a band trying desperately to sound like U2. I remember people saying, back when HTDAAB first leaked, that Yahweh was U2's best closer since "40". I don't understand how anyone could say with a straight face that Yahweh is better, nay, even in the same league with "All I Want Is You" or "Love Is Blindness" or "Wake Up Dead Man" just to name a few.

Can someone explain to me this excessive adoration of Yahweh?

Because I, for one, think it's one of the worst songs in U2's entire catalog. HTDAAB has some very good songs on it, but this is not one of them.

I like Yahweh but the perfect closer for HTDAAB would've been One Step Closer in my opinion.

The live version of Yahweh does the song justice, especially the Twickenham Broadcast version

typhoon said:

I think naming a U2 song "Yahweh" is pretty stupid. It'd be like Nirvana naming a song "Angsty Crap"; you're not supposed to give away your schtick like that.

I guess I'm not bothered by any notions of obviousness because I think the depth of spirit projected here is as open-hearted and surrendering as they've always aspired to be.

I can see the comparisons to their past work that people harp on so much. Yet, it's the thematic ideas that overpower that repeat thing. These are guys in their mid '40's who are attempting to regain an innocence and purity, spiritually speaking. I find the execution of that theme compelling enough to dominate the feel of this song.

This song actually reminds me most of "Falling At Your Feet" off the MDH thing. Except, this song is far superior with it's musical setting.

I have to say I am in the pro-Yahweh camp. It is a highlight of there 00s material. Really good with headphones! Just get lost in the soundscape.

I'm kind of indifferent about this song. I like the lyrics (and "I like" is not the same thing as "I think they're good"), but not the music so much. It's probably my least favorite song on HTDAAB. I've never heard the live version... for some reason they decided not to play it at the two shows I've been to.

and there's no way ever that it's a better album closer than wake up dead man, love is blindness, mothers of the disappeared, or even the wanderer.

To me, Yahweh is the song I've been waiting for U2 to write. I love everything about it, but on a very spiritual, personal level. I can see how some might think it's bland or nothing special, but it means a lot to me beyond the literal interpretation of the lyrics, how it stacks up against other album closers, whether or not it's "rock" enough, etc. I know it's not the best song off HTDAAB and might not even be my favorite song at the moment, but I can listen to it over and over and never get tired of it. I know this is a song I will love forever.

Back
Top Bottom