The " 'Yahweh' Is Completely Overrated" Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:

Take out the word 'Yahweh' and the song could be to just about anyone.

I disagree. Take this soul stranded in some skin and bones(one of the only lyrics in the song I really like btw - if only it had been used in a better song), take this soul and make it sing - who besides god/jesus would one be saying this to?

Better closers than Yahweh: Mothers Of The Disappeared, All I Want Is You, Love Is Blindness, Wake Up Dead Man.

namkcuR said:

I disagree. Take this soul stranded in some skin and bones(one of the only lyrics in the song I really like btw - if only it had been used in a better song), take this soul and make it sing - who besides god/jesus would one be saying this to?

A lover?

I have a lover
A lover like no other
She got soul, soul, soul, sweet soul
And she teach me how to sing

Why can't that lover with that sweet soul teach his soul to sing?

(I haven't actually formulated any alternate interpretation of Yahweh as I rather like the intended one, but I'm just saying the potential is there.)

namkcuR said:

The proof is the number of people in this thread are saying I'm wrong and that Yahweh is a great song. It is unfathomable to me how anyone could seriously think it is better than LIB, WUDM, AIWIY, etc. I know it's all subjective and all that, but it just strikes me as being VERY overrated, at least on Interference. Among the U2 fans I know in real life, it's not the case.

Most U2 fans I know seem to absolutely love Yahweh. I actually didn't think it would be that popular.

And personally, I think U2 make incredible closers and simply can't decide which I think is best. One minute, I want to say Mothers Of The Disappeared, next Wake Up Dead Man, then I remember Yahweh, but then I think of Love Is Blindness, followed by Grace ... and on it goes. I think I'll just say that U2 have ended their albums with some truly exceptional material. :up:

I think it's all three (Unforgettable Fire, Achtung Baby & Pop). Each in a different way, but no greater or worse than each other, and all three a clear notch above the rest.

I myself am not really a fan of "Discotheque" (Hexidecimal mix) which closes the B-side portion of "Best of 1990-2000"....this could be the worst closer ever.

Earnie Shavers said:
I think it's all three (Unforgettable Fire, Achtung Baby & Pop). Each in a different way, but no greater or worse than each other, and all three a clear notch above the rest.

I don't think UF as such a lyrical masterpiece...it contains three songs that imo are lyrical masterpieces individually - Wire, The Unforgettable Fire, and of course, Bad - but as a whole I think it falls quite a bit short of AB and Pop lyrically.

Swan269 said:

JT gives POP a run for its money

The thing with the JT versus Pop comparison is that they are generally totally different styles; JT is very poetic and expansive while Pop is inward and dark.

I'm biased towards JT as I like the poetic side of Bono's lyrics the most (and I think Heartland is probably his peak in terms of vivid imagery), but I can very much see why people who prefer a darker twist on their lyrics go for Pop.

I'd rank the top lyrical albums as follows:

1. JT/RAH
2. Pop
3. War
4. Unforgettable Fire [often it's not necessary about the quality of the lyrics on UF, but the delivery, vocals, and presentation - i.e. Bad, Elvis Presley And America]
5. Achtung Baby [I just about put this fourth. Songs like EBTTRT, TTTYAATW, and Ultra Violet's chorus are what cost it.]

Axver said:

The thing with the JT versus Pop comparison is that they are generally totally different styles; JT is very poetic and expansive while Pop is inward and dark.

I'm biased towards JT as I like the poetic side of Bono's lyrics the most (and I think Heartland is probably his peak in terms of vivid imagery), but I can very much see why people who prefer a darker twist on their lyrics go for Pop.

I'd rank the top lyrical albums as follows:

1. JT/RAH
2. Pop
3. War
4. Unforgettable Fire [often it's not necessary about the quality of the lyrics on UF, but the delivery, vocals, and presentation - i.e. Bad, Elvis Presley And America]
5. Achtung Baby [I just about put this fourth. Songs like EBTTRT, TTTYAATW, and Ultra Violet's chorus are what cost it.]

I prefer the darker, more inward style.

1.Pop
2.AB
3.Zooropa(Zooropa, Numb, Lemon, Stay, First Time, Dirty Day)
4.JT
5.ATYCLB(lyrically underrated - Stuck, Walk On, Kite, IALW, POE, When I Look At The World, Grace)

namkcuR said:

I prefer the darker, more inward style.

1.Pop
2.AB
3.Zooropa(Zooropa, Numb, Lemon, Stay, First Time, Dirty Day)
4.JT
5.ATYCLB(lyrically underrated - Stuck, Walk On, Kite, IALW, POE, When I Look At The World, Grace)

I'm not surprised at all.

Zooropa: lyrically, my favourite song on that album is actually The Wanderer. Highly underrated song in many regards.

ATYCLB: Agee that it's underrated, though I definitely don't think In A Little While's lyrics are worthy of mention. I prefer even Wild Honey and Elevation.

Axver said:

I'm not surprised at all.

Zooropa: lyrically, my favourite song on that album is actually The Wanderer. Highly underrated song in many regards.

ATYCLB: Agee that it's underrated, though I definitely don't think In A Little While's lyrics are worthy of mention. I prefer even Wild Honey and Elevation.

IALW could contian no lyrics outside of the rocket ship verse and that would be enough for me to put it in the list lyric-mention-worthy songs from ATYCLB.

namkcuR said:

IALW could contian no lyrics outside of the rocket ship verse and that would be enough for me to put it in the list lyric-mention-worthy songs from ATYCLB.

:up: OK, I agree there. I LOVE that verse. I just can't stand the rest of the song.

The chorus of Ultraviolet kills any lyrical genius going on, but most of the lyrics and the delivery on this song still make it awesome...

I remember
When we could sleep on stones
Now we lie together
In whispers and moans
When I was all messed up
And I had opera in my head
Your love was a light bulb
Hanging over my bed

I see our 5 y.o. girl is still playing her game of "no, it's not; yes, it is; no, it's not".

Can't say I'm surprised to see this from a person like that:shrug:

As much as it pains me to agree with something written by Pitchfork, I must say there is some truth to what they said when they stated that "Yahweh" is one of the worst songs U2 have ever made.

ALTHOUGH, having said that, the "this love is like a drop in the ocean" segment is a definite highlight on HTDAAB for me :D

Axver said:

My point is proven. :wink:

Axver, Axver... I agree you in almost everything... but you don't like Ultraviolet and arms around the world (and IALW, playboy mansion, babyface, etc, etc) :( :madspit:

When I saw your top 9 U2 songs I thought that we had equal tastes, but at least there are some differences :wink:

LemonMacPhisto said:
The chorus of Ultraviolet kills any lyrical genius going on, but most of the lyrics and the delivery on this song still make it awesome...

I remember
When we could sleep on stones
Now we lie together
In whispers and moans
When I was all messed up
And I had opera in my head
Your love was a light bulb
Hanging over my bed

I like Ultraviolet as much as anyone, but the nine "baby"s in a row at the end of the song kind of drill it in too far for me. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom