The White House, Sarajevo, and the Pope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spanisheyes

Forum Moderator, The Goal Is Soul
Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast, and Berlin
September 23, 1992: Concert: Columbia, SC, USA
As a gesture of thanks for handling Bono's phone calls, U2 invites the White House operators' staff to tonight's show in Columbia, South Carolina. They refuse the invitation. Two nights later in Atlanta, Bono reiterates the invitation during that night's phone call to the White House.

flymac.jpg

Bono was "The Pest...The Fly", long before White House staff starting calling Bono that last year. It is interesting that Bono once called, knocked on the very house that would open up its arms and pocket books to him for aid to Africa..."You here me knocking love, here me call, here me scratching, stratching at your door"

September 23, 1997: U2 brings PopMart to Sarajevo
U2 performs a complete PopMart concert in Sarajevo, Bosnia, fulfilling a desire Bono first expressed in 1993 during the Zooropa tour of Europe. Bono's voice suffers through the entire show, but the crowd eagerly sings what he cannot. Edge performs an acoustic, solo version of "Sunday, Bloody Sunday" on the b stage, starting a change in the set list that will continue for the rest of the tour. During the encore, U2 plays "Miss Sarajevo," the song they wrote two years ago for the Passengers project - it is the only time U2 has ever performed this song as a full band. Soldiers from the international NATO peace-keeping force attend the show, which is broadcast live on radio all around the world. The event garners great publicity for U2, the PopMart Tour, and the people of Sarajevo who are trying to reconstruct their city and their lives. In coming weeks, there are reports that U2's concert has raised only $13,500 for the people of Bosnia, a figure U2 defends by explaining that the show wasn't designed to raise money, and that Bono's offer to bring a stripped-down -- and less expensive -- concert to the city was refused in favor of the full PopMart production.

Popset.jpg

U2 staged its PopMart show--hailed as the most complicated and expensive live rock show ever assembled--in Sarajevo, the capital of Bosnia and Herzegovina. Tickets were sold cheaply in recognition of the country's postwar poverty and were made available in both Serbian and Croatian areas of the country so that those opponents in the conflict could come together for the concert. "We're One, but we're not the same, we get to carry each other, carry each other...One". Truly one of the high point of U2's career...enough said.
u2-sarajevo.gif

September 23, 1999: Bono meets the Pope - Pope wears Bono's sunglasses
Bono and other supporters of Jubilee 2000 visit Pope John Paul II at his summer home outside Rome. During the meeting, Bono gives the Pope a book of poetry by the great Irish poet Seamus Haney. But headlines are made when Bono hands the Pope his sunglasses and the Pontiff puts them on, prompting Bono to tell the world's media that John Paul II is the world's "first funky Pontiff."

BonoVatican.jpg

Chris

spanisheyes said:
September 23, 1992: Concert: Columbia, SC, USA
As a gesture of thanks for handling Bono's phone calls, U2 invites the White House operators' staff to tonight's show in Columbia, South Carolina. They refuse the invitation. Two nights later in Atlanta, Bono reiterates the invitation during that night's phone call to the White House.

Hey that happened the night before my daughter was born! She's 10 tomorrow :D

Thanks for the stories Chris! :)

As a gesture of thanks for handling Bono's phone calls, U2 invites the White House operators' staff to tonight's show in Columbia, South Carolina. They refuse the invitation.
They wouldn't have to ask me twice!

The "funky Pontiff" has spunk too, I got taste of it in my home country.:reject: :yes:

Happy-Happy Big 10, Anne's little girl!!!!

1992-1997-1999 Time's changing so fast........

Happy birthday, Anne's daughter. :yes: Does she still love Bono? :sexywink:

Thank you spanisheyes, NicaMom and FallingStar for Nicole's birthday good wishes. She enjoyed them! :)

I got her the Simpsons video with U2 guest appearing for her birthday, and she watched it with her 11 year old brother a couple of times tonight. They have been watching the Simpsons this summer and were excited to learn that U2 guest appeared.

The only problem is, she's a parrot when it comes to singing Bono's "Garbage Man" line "They'll tell you when your arse is showing". :ohmy: Sigh, Bono - darn your salty tongue! :tsk: :laugh:

Last edited:
BostonAnne said:
The only problem is, she's a parrot when it comes to singing Bono's "Garbage Man" line "They'll tell you when your arse is showing". :ohmy: Sigh, Bono - darn your salty tongue! :tsk: :laugh:
:shame: on Bono! But it's so damn funny nevertheless! :lmao:

Back
Top Bottom