The Wanderer, live, appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
The Wanderer is the only song on Zooropa that doesn't click with me, but something about this live version at the Johnny Cash tribute...it's so special.
sigh.gif

Bono's vocals are so casual and soulful, he just walks through them. And of course, Edge's vocals..."La la la la laoooooo" :drool:

I like that they put the synthesizers way to the back, and emphasized the guitar. It sounds great.

And then, of course, there's the meaning the song has due to Johnny's passing. I tell you, they never could have performed this song any better at any other time; the timing was perfect. The song sounds like a memorial service, but one with very positive feelings.

But I do miss the siren...:wink:

The first time I heard Edges "waa waa waa waa waa wandeeeerrrrinn" I was like :huh: On the first listen it didn't fit at all for me! But after the next few takes it have grown on me and I think it's a great addition to the song. Edge really shines on this performance!

In some way I think it's cool that they played it live only once, on such a great occasion.

"I went out to bury my love"

:| Did June Cash die before Johnny did?

"Wa wa wa wa wanderiiin" :up: Sadly Bono's voice was raspy but Edge was great, I loved the ending falsetto too - and when they sang together.

I wished it would be added into the live rotation like this:

Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own
The Wanderer
Love and Peace or Else

Some people don't like the wah wah wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhndering.
I enjoy the wahhhhhhhhhndering.

It's better than WTSHNN in some regards.

They gave the kind of graceful and harrowing performance musically that I wish they had done with Tower of Song.

i really like THE WANDERER from the first listening. its a marvellous song and it made me a Johnny Cash fan. another great album closer after ABs love is blindness.

ps: i just realized that you all are talking of the live version. i don't know it. i referred to the studio-version on ZOOROPA

Last edited:
thanks LemonMelon for the link, i love this version. its cool and boners voice sounds really good. despite i don't like falsettos this one wawawawandering is great cause its sung by the edge.

that falsetto is incredible...Dunno if it's the way Edge sings it or the processing effect...but it's beautiful...

oh yeah //

Brilliant live version of the song.

I love the subtletys as well...the lighting, the image of Johnny Cash on the lights, how they're all wearing black...they put a lot of thought and time into it.

Edge doing the falsetto made me yearn for 1992 Bono falsetto. Do you think he has lost it forever?

Back
Top Bottom