The Wanderer.... Bono w/ The Edge or Johnny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hallucination

Refugee
So recently I rediscoverd The Wanderer. Yeah I know it's on Zooropa but it never really blew me away untill about a month ago when I heard it playing in A&B Sound. Funny how a song out of place when you're not expecting it has a greater impact sometimes. So I decided to give the song another listen at home. I actually really like it and have since been useing it as my "wind down/ time to leave" music when djing in the bar. Now listening to U2's live version durring the Johnny Cash tribute I have to say I like Bono on vocals better and I love The Edge's falsetto part. It got me thinking that it would be cool if on U2's new album they rerecorded this track and included it as a bonus "hidden" track at the end ala Fast Cars. What you guys think?

Note: for interest sake when I'm djing in the bars or clubs I always start with a U2 song. I guess it a superstition or something. More often than not I start with Zoo Station, Zooropa, or Love and Peace or Else. It depends on the vibe of the crowd and what direction I want to go in right off the bat.

Rock Crowd = LAPOE
Dance Crowd = Zoo Station(sometimes Discotheque)
slow building crowd = Zooropa

Last edited:
that would be awesome! edge's falsetto is indeed lovely.
i love the november version of hte song that they did for the johnny cash special!!

Well there's a recording of the Wanderer with Bono on vocals from when they recorded Zooropa, I can't remember who said it, but it was said to be one of Bono's best vocals ever. Bono wanted to go with Cash.

Maybe someday we'll see it in a box set or something.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Well there's a recording of the Wanderer with Bono on vocals from when they recorded Zooropa, I can't remember who said it, but it was said to be one of Bono's best vocals ever. Bono wanted to go with Cash.

Maybe someday we'll see it in a box set or something.

Cool:cool: Did Bono or Johnny Cash write the lyrics for the Wanderer?

It's interestig to think of all the stuff U2 can and likely will release in the future. I mean so far they don't seem to be like all these other bands who keep releaseing boxsets of stuff only to release more later on. I have a feeling that when anything boxset related is done will be done to the fullest. It'll be top notch and not simply a cash grab by the band,

cjboog said:
It doesn't seem right to rerecord a song you did with Johnny Cash after the guy just died :|

Nah. It'd be more like a tribute. Bono could even modify the lyrics a bit to make it a tribute to Johnny. I think it'd be cool and not disrespectfull in anyway.

BonoVoxSupastar Thanks for the answer.

was ti written thinking of Cash for the voice, or did it just fit in the end?

When I first heard the new version.. I was taken aback a bit by Edge's falsetto. But it is growing on me, Edge has such a lovely voice and it adds sort of a 50's vibe to the song.

That being said, I love the original version also.

i love the edges playing in the tribute version...in the second verse, edge just launches into this "ting ting ting" and he wails the "ah huuuuuuuh" at the end of the song, i loved it...Johnny Cash has an amazing voice, but once those synthesizers kick in the song, it just kills it for me, i thought Bonos version with real instruments was much more passionate

Cash's version is supreme (can't top the man's voice over synths and having it fit that well!). but I dig the live version from last year as well. and yes, I don't think Edge's vocals were bad in the least.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom