The Wanderer and Johnny Cash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
Here's the deal with The Wanderer. I think bringing in Johnny Cash to record the vocals for this song was the best and worst decision U2 made for this track.

On one hand, Cash's vocal style is utterly perfect for this song. the lyrics are classic Man in Black material, and far surpass the majority of Bono's lyrics up until this point in their career. The haunting aura of this song in no small part is due to Cash's contribution.

On the other hand, had Bono recorded the vocals for the album version of this song, I'm almost possitive it would be a classic today. It seems to me that a lot of fans were put off by Cash's performance or just plain surprised by them and never gave the song a second chance.

Overall, I'm glad Cash got to work with U2 on this track. It's a personal favorite of mine, and I think it would be fitting for U2 to perform it some time on the Vertigo Tour. Bono's vocals would be beautiful I'm sure, but even he would admit he can't compete with the original Man in Black.

Also, given the circumstances of Johnny Cashed recent passing, I think the lyrics would take on an even more powerful tone if performed now, which is the foremost reason it should be.

Here's The Wanderer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went out walking through streets paved with gold
Lifted some stones, saw the skin and bones
Of a city without a soul
I went out walking under an atomic sky
Where the ground won't turn and the rain it burns
Like the tears when I said goodbye.

Yeah, I went with nothing, nothing but the thought of you.
I went wandering.

I went drifting through the capitals of tin
Where men can't walk or freely talk
And sons turn their fathers in.
I stopped outside a church house
Where the citizens like to sit.
They say they want the kingdom
But they don't want God in it.

I went out riding down that old eight-lane
I passed a thousand signs looking for my own name.
I went with nothing but the thought you'd be there too,
Looking for you.

I went out there in search of experience
To taste and to touch and to feel as much
As a man can before he repents.

I went out searching, looking for one good man
A spirit who would not bend or break
Who would sit at his father's right hand.
I went out walking with a bible and a gun
The word of God lay heavy on my heart
I was sure I was the one.

Now Jesus, don't you wait up, Jesus I'll be home soon.
Yeah, I went out for the papers, told her I'd be back by noon.
Yeah, I left with nothing but the thought you'd be there too
Looking for you.

Yeah, I went with nothing, nothing but the thought of you.
I went wandering.

Last edited:
I must agree. The same thing happens with When Love Comes to Town IMO

I'd like to see The Wanderer live. I've always been impressed by the lyrics, for sure some of Bono's best work.

I like the Johnny Cash version. I'd love to hear Bono's vocals, but it does sound perfect for Cash, and U2 asking him to recrod the vocals just proves that they don't need to copy or imitate other musical styles to succeed. Think if they'd released the version w/ Bono's vocals....tons of people (not hardcore U2 fans) would be complaining that U2 was trying to mimmick Cash's style and bla bla bla. I think it's cool they recognized and acknowledged how talented Cash is by having him do the vocals. It also helps U2 by having an artist as huge as Johnny Cash giving them the nod and agreeing to record the vocals.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I like the Johnny Cash version. I'd love to hear Bono's vocals, but it does sound perfect for Cash, and U2 asking him to recrod the vocals just proves that they don't need to copy or imitate other musical styles to succeed. Think if they'd released the version w/ Bono's vocals....tons of people (not hardcore U2 fans) would be complaining that U2 was trying to mimmick Cash's style and bla bla bla. I think it's cool they recognized and acknowledged how talented Cash is by having him do the vocals. It also helps U2 by having an artist as huge as Johnny Cash giving them the nod and agreeing to record the vocals.

:up:

I agree 100%.

I love the way Bono has been singing Miss Sarajevo this tour, it gives me goosebumps every time I hear it. But there's only one Pavorotti. And there's only one Johnny Cash.

The Wanderer was the song responsible for me "getting into" Johnny Cash in the first place and I haven't looked back since! From "A boy name Sue" to NIN cover of "Hurt" The Man in Black was truly one of a kind and I for one miss him a lot! I would have loved to hear Johnny cover "Exit" or "Acrobat".:drool:

mculver said:
The Wanderer was the song responsible for me "getting into" Johnny Cash in the first place and I haven't looked back since! From "A boy name Sue" to NIN cover of "Hurt" The Man in Black was truly one of a kind and I for one miss him a lot! I would have loved to hear Johnny cover "Exit" or "Acrobat".:drool:

Me too.

The best thing about Zooropa is all the Johnny Cash records it led me to buy.

I hear ya MrBrau1! I went out and bought all of the Rick Ruben recordings plus a couple of greatest hits collections. I always looked at Johnny Cash as sort of an acquired taste like coffee. You don't really like at first, but after a short time you become addicted to it! Absolutely haunting........

mculver said:
I hear ya MrBrau1! I went out and bought all of the Rick Ruben recordings plus a couple of greatest hits collections. I always looked at Johnny Cash as sort of an acquired taste like coffee. You don't really like at first, but after a short time you become addicted to it! Absolutely haunting........

Get your hands on the "Legend" set. He does a version of "I've Been Working On The Railroad" that will bring a huge smile to your face.

I'll check it out, thx! You going to go and see the movie when it comes out?

Wow! I didn't realize that joaquin would be doing the singing. That should be interesting! Do any of you know whether or not U2 ever performed with Johnny in attendance?

I don't know. They did perform and beam in "Don't Take Your Guns To Town" for a TV Cash tribute back in 99, and Cash was there.

I love Johnny Cash singing it, and wouldn't want it any other way.

Saw the promo for Walk the Line today. Looks great!

Here's the soundtrack version w/ the extra verse from the out of print soundtrack:

I went out walking
Down that widening road
Where no one's trusting no one
And conscience, a too heavy load

http://s37.you send it.com/d.aspx?id=0TIVUWEAKO2K73Q1JGJU5SF6HN

Lancemc said:
Here's the deal with The Wanderer. I think bringing in Johnny Cash to record the vocals for this song was the best and worst decision U2 made for this track.

On one hand, Cash's vocal style is utterly perfect for this song. the lyrics are classic Man in Black material, and far surpass the majority of Bono's lyrics up until this point in their career. The haunting aura of this song in no small part is due to Cash's contribution.

On the other hand, had Bono recorded the vocals for the album version of this song, I'm almost possitive it would be a classic today. It seems to me that a lot of fans were put off by Cash's performance or just plain surprised by them and never gave the song a second chance.

I'm a bit surprised by the last para above, that some fans were put off by Cash.

Johnny Cash is a musical legend and having him on the track was a privilege for U2. If some people can't handle that, that's their issue, not U2's. :eyebrow:

The song is amazing. Simply put, when I first got Zooropa, I didn't know what to think, but its truly amazing the way it is.

That being said... wouldn't it have been awesome to have Macphisto sing it?? C'maaaaaaaaaaahn.

I don't think the song really suffered as the result of Cash being on it (other than us begging to hear Bono's version, one of these days)). It ended up being a killer track either way...

great song, some of bono's best lyrics ever.

a friend of mine didn't understand why i liked u2 so much. he heard "wanderer" in my car one day and really got into it. He kept bothering me to borrow the CD as he thought it was a Johnny Cash record. so I lent him "Zooropa". A month later, we had a new u2 fan in the world...

Last edited:
THE WANDERER sung by JOHNNY CASH is a perfect closer of a great album called ZOOROPA recorded by a fuckin' great band then called U2...:up:

MrBrau1 said:
Here's the soundtrack version w/ the extra verse from the out of print soundtrack:

I went out walking
Down that widening road

Thanks a lot for this, Braumeister! :bow:

Didn't Bono do a very good imitation of Johnny Cash when they first recorded this song?

Lancemc said:

Overall, I'm glad Cash got to work with U2 on this track. It's a personal favorite of mine, and I think it would be fitting for U2 to perform it some time on the Vertigo Tour. Bono's vocals would be beautiful I'm sure, but even he would admit he can't compete with the original Man in Black.

Also, given the circumstances of Johnny Cashed recent passing, I think the lyrics would take on an even more powerful tone if performed now, which is the foremost reason it should be.

Here's The Wanderer.

I agree completely. Cheers!

MrBrau1 said:

I went out walking
Down that widening road

:D Thank you again

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:

I went out walking
Down that widening road

Thank you! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom