The Vertigo Tour started two years ago today.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Meeeeeeeemriiiieeeeeees!

Light the coooooorners of my miiiiind ...

misty water colored meeeeeeemrieeeeeees!

Of the vertigo tooooooooour!

I was there.
I remember having a tail-gate party in the parking lot of the San Diego Sports Arena....and going to see (and listen) The Joshua Tree (Tribute Band) in the Tower Records parking lot across the street.

Good times.

I cried (a heterosexual man-cry) when I heard COBL live for the first time. It was...wow. :sad:

"I can understand why they call this the American Airlines Arena...it sounds like a motherf*cking 747 in here"- Bono

I was there. I did start to cry when I heard the beginning of "An Cat Dubh". Surprised the shit out of me....I'd been wanting to hear that live since 1982 or 1983, whenever I got my first bootleg version of the song (via a friend's older brother, who got it from one of those great record stores in Greenwich Village, most of which no longer exist). So, to hear it in 2005, wow. Plus, it was played right after Electric Co, which was another song I was dying to hear live.

So, yeah, all in all, an amazing night, and just the start of my Vertigo Tour experience.

An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart, Electric Co and Zoo Station were and remain the 3 best things about the tour. Well, that and being in Glendale, and serving as the "source", when they first played Bad on the tour. That was sweet.

I was, yes, and I could not contain myself that whole week. I remember it vividly. U2 tour was starting, March Madness was going on, baseball was about to start, I was like a 5 year old.

I'd been to a ton of U2 shows, and other shows, but never a tour opener. It was incredible. Yes, the energy was palpable, but, to be honest, it's like that at most U2 shows...but, to me, if felt one notch higher.

I am one of the lucky people that was there that night to see it start, then made the trek to Hawaii to see it end.

Carlos, next time we're at the same show, let's make sure we actually know each other, as opposed to being total strangers. :) The more interlanders I get to know, the more I find out just how many shows I attended that you guys did, too.

No spoken words said:

Hard to compare. More energy, to me, at the opener. The closer had a different vibe.

well now i'm tempted to go to the next opener! Hawaii was very different from the other show I went to. of course, the release date of the new album could mean that the energy at this opener might be different than the one you went to. 4 years was it? since Elevation?

Now two years have passed since the tour, three since the album has been released - time passes. But it's great to look back and I was so in shock, when I read here about the rehearsels and the first gig's setlists - and it was only the beginning: The band in best form with Bono singing at the very top of his ability. A world-tour, that finally came to places, where U2 haven't been for a little while. And concerts, that satisfied "Greatest Hits" fans & the long-time, die-hard setlist-afficionados. My personal highlights:

1. The BOY-mini-gigs in the shows with a snippeted "Stories For Boys", "The Cry", "The Electric Co.", "An Cat Dubh", "Into The Heart" and "The Ocean".
2. The OCTOBER-rediscovering of "Gloria" in its full glory.
3. Adding WAR's "40" as the full band-, instruments changing-, Larry solo drumming-coda back to some of the gigs; lucky fans, who have witnessed these beautiful performances.
4. THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE's "Bad" being not only a gem, but a centre song in a few very special gigs (i.g. Dublin III, Auckland II)
5. Celebrating one of U2's best tracks, THE JOSHUA TREE's "One Tree Hill", in the song's home country (and beyond) - with some of the best performances ever in the band's history.
6. Digging back in the Rock & Blues of RATTLE AND HUM and giving "Desire", "Angel Of Harlem" and "All I Want Is You" full band treatments.
7. From ACHTUNG BABY also mini gigs were included: "Zoo Station" and "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" were dust off and especially the latter was played better than ever.
8. ZOOROPA's "The First time" was played for the first time complete: in a moving, moving acoustic version - pure poetry!
9. POP's "Discotheque" was performed perfectly, but not that often, ey?
10. ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND's "Kite", "Walk On" or even "Elevation" were delivered in new arrannged versions - all of them were awesome.

And yes, the HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB tunes were beautiful, too. What a great tour, even the best in my opinion. Going out there, meeting a lot of nice persons in front of arenas and stadiums and singing along with my favourite band in top-form will be forever a part of my life. Thanx to y'all ...

I remember getting to the San Diego Arena at 7 a.m. that morning, camping out all day, and ending up on the rail with my friends. One of my nicest U2 memories. Like all opening nights, the songs weren't perfect yet, but it was a thrill not to know the setlist, to see the lighting arrangements, and see the band again.

What was I doing two years ago? I think I was probably applying for jobs... :yuck:

My Vertigo experience didn't happen until November last year, and I still didn't know the setlists beforehand :D My first-ever U2 shows, and they were brilliant. I would probably have said that even if everyone else thought they were crap, but most people seem to think the Australian shows were all great, so that's a bonus. :wink:
First Time and Bad... :drool:

I remember that day like it was yesterday, even though I wasn't there. Got the bootleg shortly afterwards...

I remember the San Diego gig very well (even tho i wasnt there either hahah). I remember creeping on the Blue Crack (because I wasnt registered yet) and the energy on this forum was palpable. When I heard that the boys were actually going to break out songs from 'Boy' I could not believe it. I never thought 'Electric Co.' or 'An cat dubh" would ever see the light of day again. the VERTIGO tour was beauty in its truest form...and I got to see it live on May 12, 2005...A screaming 19 year old kid singing my heart out from the upper balcony at the United Center singing along to every word that escaped Bono's luscious lips...I still cant believe Chicago 4! They opened with VERTIGO and busted out UNTIL THE END OF THE WORLD! WOW! cant believe i was there. Love, Rory.

ZOOTVTOURist said:
Going out there, meeting a lot of nice persons in front of arenas and stadiums and singing along with my favourite band in top-form will be forever a part of my life. Thanx to y'all ...

Well said! :up:

I actually ended up meeting 3 ladies there from Brazil that came all the way just for the show. I was sitting behind the stage before the show started, but right before it all begun......I walked down to the left side of the stage and they offered me to sit next to them. We had a great time there.

RedrocksU2 said:
D, you were there?!

oh yeah brother, look at my review and also my profile pic where we met up w Bono outside the day of show #2 w Agent Missa and others.

dbs

Back
Top Bottom