The unreleased U2 album - 1998-2004!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmesq

The Fly
You know, U2 could cobble together an entirely NEW, totally self-written and entirely decent 12-track album from their leftover material of the last seven years by just using the following tracks:

Side 1:
THE GROUND BENEATH HER FEET
BIG GIRLS ARE BEST
ARE YOU GONNA WAIT FOREVER?
LEVITATE
LOVE YOU LIKE MAD
STATELESS

Side 2:
SMILE
FLOWER CHILD
MERCY
SLOW DANCING
I’M NOT YOUR BABY
NORTH AND SOUTH OF THE RIVER

Whaddya think?

Some of those songs are good (TGBHF, Stateless, Flower Child, Slow Dancing, N&S) and some need a lot of work.

I'm sure they'll come up with a better selection than this next time around.

Sure alot of the tracks need more work, but its funny how good the music that U2 makes and doesn't finish. Most bands would kill to be able to "throw away" tunes like these. Bono and the boys do have a special gift.

Zoo99 is right, I think Summer Rain would be a better choice than Slow Dancing. Good call!

I left off always for the same reason I left off Native Song and Xanax & Wine - it's a demo of a song that turned into something else later on (Beautiful Day, Vertigo & Fast Cars respectively).

dmesq said:
You know, U2 could cobble together an entirely NEW, totally self-written and entirely decent 12-track album from their leftover material of the last seven years by just using the following tracks:

Side 1:
BIG GIRLS ARE BEST
LEVITATE
LOVE YOU LIKE MAD
STATELESS

Side 2:
SMILE
FLOWER CHILD
MERCY
SLOW DANCING
I’M NOT YOUR BABY

Whaddya think?

I really think Levitate, with a little more work, should've been on ATYCLB.

teebee said:

those were released. As b-sides.

THE GROUND BENEATH HER FEET. BIG GIRLS ARE BEST, ARE YOU GONNA WAIT FOREVER, STATELESS, SLOW DANCING, and NORTH AND SOUTH OF THE RIVER, Have all been released as well. but not on "official u2 albums"

Can someone help me confirm which tunes are from the HTDAAB sessions:

Fast Cars/Xanax and Wine
Native Son
Are You Gonna Wait Forever?
Neon Lights
Smile

Anything else? Thanks.

all of those songs are from the htdaab sessions.

i'm not 100% positive but i think 'mercy' is from the htdaab sessions as well. i thought it said so somewhere in the htdaab deluxe booklet...

(if you list it as fast cars/xanax and wine, shouldn't you also list it as vertigo/native son?)

david said:
and they could call the album "POOP" and it would be the little brother to "POP."

...and we thought they were brave by using the word "BOMB" in the title of this one.

I can see the promos now: "U2's POOP drops on (insert date here)"

Sorry!!! I couldn't resist!
I'll just go now. :silent:

I'd just like to point out that Slow Dancing was first performed live on 1 December 1989. Better fix that 1998 in the thread title, eh?

Axver said:
I'd just like to point out that Slow Dancing was first performed live on 1 December 1989. Better fix that 1998 in the thread title, eh?

I did not know that Axver..:eyebrow:

I know it's first B-side was on the Stay single...I didnt think it had even been performed live at all!

I really think it was a mistake to include Beautiful Day on the last Best-Of..its like the launch single for this current era and would have been entirely appropriate for the third Best-Of.

Good idea! Maybe we can come up with a strong selection and a track order?

I think these songs and this track order makes a strong Side A

Electrical Storm
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
North And South Of The River (Omagh Tribute version)
Mercy
Always

What songs should make up Side B?

I think these are strong songs. Sweetest Thing is the song that started U2’s new path of creating joyful pop music Yes, Guns is a cover and it is not lyrical fit but I believe it is wonderful example of U2’s goal of creating joyful pop music. With the involvement of Bono, Larry, and Lanois (and Eno too on the last one) I consider these last 2 more U2 songs than Bono solo songs.

Sweetest Thing
Don’t Take Your Guns
Falling At Your Feet
Never Let Me Go (Edit – Opening narration removed)

These are new songs which I am not too familiar with yet:

Are You Gonna Wait Forever
Levitate
Smile
Xanax And Wine or Fast Cars
Flower Child
Love You Like Mad

These two:

Stateless
The Hands That Built America (Soundtrack version)

And these:

Neon Lights belongs more with the MDH Soundtrack
Big Girls belongs more with Pop
I’m Not Your Baby is a very good song and a possibility. But does the music and lyrics fit?
Beat On The Brat does not really fit.

Here's my newly revised tracklisting:

Side 1:
BIG GIRLS ARE BEST
LEVITATE
HOLY JOE (GARAGE MIX)
LOVE YOU LIKE MAD
FLOWER CHILD

Side 2:
STATELESS
SUMMER RAIN
SMILE
MERCY
I’M NOT YOUR BABY

I know most of these songs still need extra production - but I also remember listening to Pearl Jam's No Code album for the first few times back in 1996 and thinking, "what the hell is this? This is just a bunch of unproduced demos!" And now that album is my very favorite PJ album of all :)

In addition to being b-sides, Summer Rain, Always, and Big Girls were all released on a CD maxi-single called U2 7.

And, what's with Side 1 and Side 2? We're in the age of the CD; there is only 1 side.

Just a question: so far what are the Tracks that didn't appear on any official album from 1997 till now (including B-side, alternative takes and Soundtracks)?

Who's hear Levitate, Love You Like Mad, Flower Child and Smile? Where are these songs availabe?

Back
Top Bottom