The United States would find itself in a bad spot, were it to extradite Bin Laden

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DoctorGonzo

War Child
Bush has painted himself into a corner with his rhetoric. He has been operating under the assumption that the Taliban will not give up OBL. On the off chance they do, Bush will find himself in one tough spot with no ability to direct the national rage against any particular country. Bombing Afganastan after they give up OBL would be insane and effectively destroy any chance we might have to work with any other Muslim nation. Who in their right mind would give up someone like OBL with all that entails (the domestic price could be extreme), knowing the U.S might still bomb the fuck out of them?.

Getting OBL himself, would accomplish very little. His terrorist network would still be intact along with his cash reserves and we would get what? A person to direct our anger against? Cool, but what happens when that isn't fun anymore? When the remainder of his network (many of whom have probably cleared out of Afganastan, or gone into hiding) start bombing, hijacking, etc?

We don't want the Taliban to give up Bin Laden. We want to go into Afganastan and try to destroy the terrorist network.

Emphasis on the word try.

And I thought all the common sense had been sucked out of this forum. Now where is that melon kid?

------------------
Change is the only constant

It's probably a moot point since I think it's highly unlikely that we'll be "bombing Afghanistan" anyway. That's pointless, and I think they know that.

It would certainly be anti-climactic for some people, but even if they give up Bin Laden we would still be working to perform the necessary special ops missions and intelligence gathering that will be needed to shut down as many of these cells as possible. Fact is, this won't be a "CNN War" anyway. So if the public is intent on seeing tons and tons of action like we did ten years ago they're going to be disappointed.

The worst part of having Bin Laden sent to us is that he'd be alive...and that means it might actually go through the judicial process. That would be a terrible, terrible thing.

The only way war in the conventional sense breaks out is if Iraq is involved. If that's the case (and it looks as it may be), hold onto your hats...

My concern about capturing FARTKNOCKER!!! and locking him up in the Hazzard County Jail is that his stupid idiot followers will frequently take Americans/Westerners/sypmathizers hostage until we release him, as such groups did back in the 80s.

~U2Alabama

09182001-4.160x120.jpg

FARTKNOCKER!!!, shown with his books and gun.

My concern about capturing FARTKNOCKER!!! and locking him up in the Hazzard County Jail is that his stupid idiot followers will frequently take Americans/Westerners/sypmathizers hostage until we release him, as such groups did back in the 80s.

Exactly.

People seem to believe that OBL's capture will be something more than a morale boost, that it will actually chnage things in the long run.

Well, it won't.

Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:
Exactly.

People seem to believe that OBL's capture will be something more than a morale boost, that it will actually chnage things in the long run.

Well, it won't.

It will more than you realize.

Terrorism on a normal scale, what now might be considered "small," that's not going away. Terrorism on this scale absolutely can go away if the right intelligence is gathered. Mostly just an issue of increasing the funding and getting other countries to take this seriously.

These guys are clearly nuts, so you're right in saying that it isn't just going to stop. But eliminating Bin Laden & the Taliban and freezing his funds will go a long way. Remove Saddam and throw a party. Of course its not THAT simple, but it can be done.

And as far as Bin Laden coming alive...essentially impossible at this point. His guards are to shoot him as soon as its clear their going down...and even if they didn't, I'm sure one of our fellas would. I can't imagine going through a judicial process with Bin Laden...messy messy.

[This message has been edited by MSU2mike (edited 09-18-2001).]

Originally posted by MSU2mike:
I can't imagine going through a judicial process with Bin Laden...messy messy.

Especially if we force-fed him Taco Bell Bean Burritoes, as suggested in a "Free Your Mind" thread.

Back
Top Bottom