The unfortunate death of another song.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swan269

Rock n' Roll Doggie
It seems as though When I look at the World will be another U2 song never to be played "live". Do I think it should have been played?.....maybe, but here are a couple of other songs that I have noticed reading through posts that people have wanted to hear badly but U2 had some problems with.

-Red Hill Mining Town-everyone has heard the video story and there attempts to release it as a single. People have blamed this songs death on Bonos voice. I think that the song could have had the same problems that plagued the band during Staring at the Sun, which was timing. Perhaps if they tried an acoustic version it could work!

-Acrobat-a lot of people want to hear this song I guess for its statement of not having the basterds grind you down. I heard the soundcheck from Hershey and I guess that when the band did its phase of playing the whole album first, Acrobat could have been the weakest live. I, like many of you, would love to hear it.

-Do you feel loved-is this song too generic? In one U2 book I have the author calls this song a potential center piece to their live set?.....What planet was he on?! i have only heard it a couple of times and the wrap was that bono couldn't sing it in the right key?...but I don't remember for sure.

-Drowning Man-I think that this song is one of the most underrated of all time. A sweet song that Bono and Edge would do great at the tip of the heart. Maybe they never did it because the violin in the song played such a central role.

These are just a some of the songs but most people seem to mention these in particular.

[This message has been edited by Swan269 (edited 11-04-2001).]

WILATW is the 1 song on ATYCLB that I skip over. I just don't like it!

Red HIll Mining Town, though -- I LOVE that song!!!!!! They should ressurect it

------------------
~*Mona*~
WHAT YOU DON'T HAVE YOU DON'T NEED IT NOW
WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW YOU CAN FEEL IT SOMEHOW

"Your girl leans over and says, 'Daddy, can you turn that radio up any louder?'" ~Bruce~

DREAM OUT LOUD

I want them to play "You Can't Always Get What You Want".

biggrin.gif

------------------
Fan named Matt (as a fellow fan prepares to take a picture of him with Larry): "You know Larry, I'm a drummer in a band too."

Larry (looks at fan and shrugs, smiling pleasantly toward the camera): "Well, Matt, we all have our problems."

~*April*~

(AIM-POPLemonGirl)

I believe that lyrically, WILATW is one of teh strongest on the album!! But I dislike the arrangements... Mostly after Peace on Earth. It sounds too... weak. There should be more soul in it. I believe with rearrangements and live, it could be an excellent song... no?

Originally posted by soul service:
I believe that lyrically, WILATW is one of teh strongest on the album!! But I dislike the arrangements... Mostly after Peace on Earth. It sounds too... weak. There should be more soul in it. I believe with rearrangements and live, it could be an excellent song... no?

I pretty much agree with you there.. I like the album version, a lot actually.. but if it was made more biting, given more of an Edge so to speak and made generally more upbeat and less dopey it would be awesome!

They did play Do You Feel Loved a few times on the POPmart tour but stopped playing it once the tour got into gear and out of America.

------------------
"I swore to my father I'd never do hamster-style again."

"looking for the sound thats gonna drown out the world
looking for the father of my two little girls
got the swing go the sway got my straw in lemonade
looking for the face i had before the world was made." - MOFO

Thank SkeeK. For myself, I believe they should play it instead of Wild Honey, which, I think, it shallow...

I think we can be glad of the resurrection of another song though : PLEASE!!! Please and Gone were my favorite on Pop.

Anyone liked Do you feel loved? I would have LOVE to hear it live!!! I wonder how it would sound if only the band played it. I mean by that without the electronic "instruments" in the song...

WILATW is just far too bland for me - not saying I didn't like it when I first got the album but having listened to it now about 1000 times it's started getting on my nerves.

Big Girls Are Best and Red Hill Mining town would be on my ideal setlist.

Yeah! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks Drowning Man is unappreciated.

------------------
"Things will not be the same in this city for us." -Bono, Dublin, February 1980

thye should play " the theme from let's go native" and " morning child" as well as "hallejah here she comes".

i've always felt that POE and WILATW are practically the same song, i've always perferred WILATW. but, now i feel guilty for skipping over POE because of the whole sept. 11 event.

i have to admit, though, i love the line "there lives are bigger then any big idea."

------------------
"You can download an atmosphere and dial up a groove, but there's a certain magic when three musicians and a dyslexic get together and play in a room." -Bono

Love,
Emily

The city's desire to take me for more and more...

I have shed many a joyful tear at a U2 show..
but Red Hill Mining Town would bring on a veritable avalanche of emotional release for me. (ecstactic.. not dramatic)

Back
Top Bottom