The Unforgettable Fire (song) appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2fan42

The Fly
This is quite possibly U2's best song. When was the last time it was played live, and why has it been so long? Very underrated song.

I agree. This is one of my favorite songs of all time but not many seem to agree.

I like it, too. I like the music in it.

And the lyrics are good, too. One part of the lyrics reminds me of "Stand By Me":

And if the mountain should crumble
Or disappear into the sea
Not a tear, no, not I

*Quick question: what's with musicians writing songs about mountains crumbling?

Anywho, yeah, this is a good song.

Angela

It was somewhat rare on the Lovetown Tour, since "One Tree Hill" took its place on the setlists near the end of the Joshua Tree Tour.

The song is a big part of why I like the album so much. It's just like nothing I've ever heard before, but there's incredible emotion in it.

:heart: LOVE that song! It's one of their most beautiful and artistic and incredible! It's one of those songs that you *feel* as well as hear. I love the song, the album, and the video! :drool: I wish more fans appreciated this work of art.

I am not at all a Coldplay fan but I think I hear a bit of UF influence in "Clocks" how 'bout you?

U2Kitten said:
:heart: LOVE that song! It's one of their most beautiful and artistic and incredible! It's one of those songs that you *feel* as well as hear. I love the song, the album, and the video! :drool: I wish more fans appreciated this work of art.

I am not at all a Coldplay fan but I think I hear a bit of UF influence in "Clocks" how 'bout you?
I think much of A Rush of Blood To The Head has been influenced by The Unforgettable Fire. There's a LOT of impressionism on it - that wide screen cinimatic sound found on UF. Even lyrically, both albums employ a vague beauty, that really sets a feeling, an idea split into several directions, a mood, rather than spelling out a distinct, literal idea, such as JT or moreso even, ATYCLB.

Parts of UF are so clever - especially on songs such as the title track - because the listener is placed in a certain location, where the walls of reality are such that you can feel the room they're surrounding - or the wide open spaces they are unleashing. It's amazing how Edge can create distinct landscapes out of an ambigous structure. This allows anyone to feel their own, personal and distinct place, even though there is room for interpretation. It is because of this room that we are able to partake. A bit of a paradox, but that's the genius of it.

Last edited:
Unforgettable Fire is my FAVORITE U2 song ever! This along with Spanish Eyes and Bad, my top 3 right there....
This song blows my mind every time I listen. Its also my favorite headphones song.... and the way it goes into Promenade, gives me chills every time!

this used to be my most favourite U2 song! :drool:

i still love it to death. putting promenade right after it on the album was the best touch. i can't think of many U2 songs that lead into each other, on an album at least. (cuz they make so many songs mesh live that you wouldn't think would fit when listening to the album versions.)

KhanadaRhodes said:
this used to be my most favourite U2 song! :drool:

i still love it to death. putting promenade right after it on the album was the best touch. i can't think of many U2 songs that lead into each other, on an album at least. (cuz they make so many songs mesh live that you wouldn't think would fit when listening to the album versions.)

Yeah, that is cool having those two songs next to each other.

This whole album is great, I agree.

*Loves "A Sort Of Homecoming".

Angela

I love The Unforgettable Fire (song); and it was listening to this song over and over that walked me into Promenade as many times; incredibly atmospheric and thoughtful pieces...Still my favorites, even after these many years and great U2 songs that have accumulated.

I love this song. It's *terribly* underrated. I think it's the first--or one of the first--songs Bono used falsetto on.
*Must go back and listen to some early U2*

Back
Top Bottom