The Unforgettable Fire is too short!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LemonMelon said:
Want to know what UF's real problem is?

It sucks.

(It needed Love Comes Tumbling and The Three Sunrises...it really did)

It's by far U2's worst album.

Care to elaborate on that opinion? Like, why do you think it's U2's worst album? And don't say 'Because it sucks'.

LemonMelon said:

It sucks.

Want to know what your post's problem is?

It sucks.

(It needs justification and reasoning ... because it makes a claim that I'd instantly be slaughtered for if I said it about Achtung Baby.)

It's by far your worst post.

:wink:

The Unforgettable fire is absolutely perfect in my opinion. Beautiful and shimmering, a postcard from another world. Elvis Presley And America is great, I love to get totally lost in it. MLK and Promenade are two of the most beautiful U2 songs ever. Pride and The Unforgettable Fire are two of their strongest ever singles. Wire and Indian Summer Sky, although polar opposites are amazing. A sort of Homecoming is a very strong opening track and was the first U2 song I really really got into when I became a U2 fan. And then there came Bad, which although only attains its No 1 U2 song status(IMO) because of its WAIA version, is still incredible on this record.

LemonMelon said:

It sucks.

Wow........... to each thier own I guess.

An Cat Gav said:
The Unforgettable fire is absolutely perfect in my opinion. Beautiful and shimmering, a postcard from another world. Elvis Presley And America is great, I love to get totally lost in it. MLK and Promenade are two of the most beautiful U2 songs ever. Pride and The Unforgettable Fire are two of their strongest ever singles. Wire and Indian Summer Sky, although polar opposites are amazing. A sort of Homecoming is a very strong opening track and was the first U2 song I really really got into when I became a U2 fan. And then there came Bad, which although only attains its No 1 U2 song status(IMO) because of its WAIA version, is still incredible on this record.

Indeed.... I couldn't have said it any better than this.

Three Sunrises is excellent, I can think of at least 4 songs it's better than that made the album, and it would fit in nicely with the album's sound...the same applies to Love Comes Tumbling. Basstrap should be on there too, I really like the UF-era instrumentals.

Axver said:

Want to know what your post's problem is?

It sucks.

(It needs justification and reasoning ... because it makes a claim that I'd instantly be slaughtered for if I said it about Achtung Baby.)

It's by far your worst post.

:wink:

:lol:

Oh man, can this place be fun!!!

I'm totally in love with this album right now. :heart:

Switch 4 of July and Elvis Presley and America for Love comes Tumbling and Three Sunrises.
That way Bad doesn't have to save the album's second half.

Never been a big fan of the album, don't know why, really.

But I will admit this:

The Unforgettable Fire (title track) is the best song U2 has ever written. Not my favorite (one of them though :wink: ), but as musicians? It doesn't get much better than that song. :drool:

I once burned a CD with an extended version of UF, including all B-Sides... the tracklisting looked like this (from the top of my head):

1. The Three Sunrises
2. A Sort Of Homecoming
3. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
4. Wire
5. Boomerang I
6. The Unforgettable Fire
7. Sixty Seconds in Kingdom Come
8. Promenade
9. Bass Trap
10. 4th of July
11. Bad
12. Love Comes Tumbling
13. Indian Summer Sky
14. Boomerang II
15. Elvis Presley and America
16. MLK

Actually, I burned "extended versions" of almost every U2 album, with mixed results.

Does anyone have an mp3 of 60 seconds...somehow I've never gotten ahold of that B-side.

Also, is there anyone else out there who absolutely LOVES Indian Summer Sky? It gives me this crazy warm nostalgic feeling. As does Heartland, on a random note.

Finally, how many would object to replacing 4th of July with Bass Trap on the album? It's a relatively simple and subtle change, but I love the way it works as an album intermission much more than 4th.

bram said:

Also, is there anyone else out there who absolutely LOVES Indian Summer Sky? It gives me this crazy warm nostalgic feeling. As does Heartland, on a random note.

Finally, how many would object to replacing 4th of July with Bass Trap on the album? It's a relatively simple and subtle change, but I love the way it works as an album intermission much more than 4th.

I love ISS, too. It has alot of Brian Eno in it. I can also say that it gives me a nostalgic feeling too.
However, I wouldn't get rid of 4th Of July because the album to me always sounded European and 4th Of July seems to have that kind of feel. Maybe I'm the only one but the picture that 4th Of July seems to paint is winter. In the context of the album, it's like a drug trip that leads into Bad. I'm not sure Bass Trap would work between Promenade and Bad.

Screwtape2 said:

I love ISS, too. It has alot of Brian Eno in it. I can also say that it gives me a nostalgic feeling too.
However, I wouldn't get rid of 4th Of July because the album to me always sounded European and 4th Of July seems to have that kind of feel. Maybe I'm the only one but the picture that 4th Of July seems to paint is winter. In the context of the album, it's like a drug trip that leads into Bad. I'm not sure Bass Trap would work between Promenade and Bad.

Bass Trap sounds amazing between The Unforgettable Fire and Promenade. :love:

Screwtape2 said:

That's where I put it on my Unforgettable Fire mixes with b-sides and stuff. 4th Of July has to stay, though.

I've never been a big fan of 4th of July.

and I like EP&America, it just kind of kills the momentum of the album though.

bram said:

Indian Summer Sky is hugely under-rated around these parts. I think it's an excellent song. In terms of the vibe it gives me, I feel it kind of "predicts" Bullet The Blue Sky.

I'd object to that quite strongly, as I think the Promenade/4th Of July/Bad flow is indispensible as it makes them feel essentially like one track. I love the way 4th Of July leads into Bad. I'd probably put Bass Trap before Promenade.

Axver said:
I suppose we do have to keep in mind that UF was released in the era of vinyl though. You can't fit as much music on there as you can on a CD, so the "shortness" wouldn't have been so obvious.
this is true. i own many a vinyl :cough: and newer albums, which are longer to fit a cd rather than a vinyl, have to be stretched onto two vinyls to fit.

vinyls, as awesome as they are, just don't hold a lot of music.

but you can always alter the tracklisting and make your own uf album and burn it onto cd :) i did this and i think it's outstanding.

oh, and i'd like to join the epaa fan club. i love that song :drool: there's not a bad song on that album, really. even 4th of july; it may be short but it totally fits with the atmosphere of the album.

oh here's and my tracklisting for the uf playlist i made:

1. a sort of homecoming
2. pride (in the name of love)
3. wire
4. indian summer sky
5. boomerang one
6. boomerang two
7. love comes tumbling
8. 60 seconds in the kingdom come
9. elvis presley and america
10. bass trap
11. promenade
12. the unforgettable fire
13. promenade (yep it's on twice!)
14. 4th of july
15. bad (live from waia)
16. heartland (not from this era i know but it fits with the mood)
17. mlk
18. the three sunrises

and it clocks in at 75 minutes, easily fitting on a cd-r :)

Hey, Khan, that's almost exactly the same as my expanded UF that I made back in February 2005! Haven't been plagiarising a bit, have you? :wink:

This is my expanded one:

1. A Sort Of Homecoming
2. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
3. Wire
4. Indian Summer Sky
5. Boomerang I
6. Boomerang II
7. Love Comes Tumbling
8. Sixty Seconds In Kingdom Come
9. Elvis Presley And America
10. Bass Trap
11. Promenade
12. The Unforgettable Fire
13. Promenade [yes, again]
14. 4th Of July
15. Bad
16. MLK
17. The Three Sunrises

It's designed so that it can loop back to the start. The Three Sunrises could be viewed as the first track rather than the last. And I used Promenade twice because it's so good and fits perfectly in both spots.

I like Khan's idea of adding Heartland. :up: I personally would stick with Bad from the album though, or use Bad from the RAH video.

Axver said:
Hey, Khan, that's almost exactly the same as my expanded UF that I made back in February 2005! Haven't been plagiarising a bit, have you? :wink:
:lol: oh yeah, i forgot about that! it flows rather nicely :D

and yeah, i think bad from rah would work as well, although i personally don't care for the studio version :reject:

OK, now I'll really tell you why I think UF is U2's worst album.

A) Filler. Almost half the album is pure filler:

4th Of July (Come on, do I really need to say why this is filler?)
Elvis Presley And America (Just ASOH played backwards and slowed down with crappy lyrics over the top :shrug)
Indian Summer Sky (Has no melody. It just sounds like a really, really, really bad War b-side to me)
MLK (Pretty obvious filler as well)

B) Bono has little control over his voice. He spends Bad just singing like he's still in puberty. Voice cracks and all. It sounds vulnerable, but compare it to the brilliant WAIA version, and it's left as useless. He sounds awful on ISS and EPAA too.

C) What does that leave in successful songs?

The whole first half.

And that is all.

How many of you guy's were U2 fans when UF was released ?

I've been a U2 fan since 1981 and UF is my favourite album - when it was released it was (nearly) as big a shock to the system as The Fly was. It was the album the U2 had to make to get them away from the 1982/83 sound of Big Country/Simple Minds/Echo & Bunnymen. They had discovered the ideal producers that would guide them away from the early 80's pop indie rock and towards the "classic" albums that were to come.

UF is perfect in every way - even 4th of july (MFSL is better) which set's the scene for Bad.

The Unforgettable Fire - the best album U2 have released.

LemonMelon said:
OK, now I'll really tell you why I think UF is U2's worst album.

A) Filler. Almost half the album is pure filler:

4th Of July (Come on, do I really need to say why this is filler?)
Elvis Presley And America (Just ASOH played backwards and slowed down with crappy lyrics over the top :shrug)
Indian Summer Sky (Has no melody. It just sounds like a really, really, really bad War b-side to me)
MLK (Pretty obvious filler as well)

B) Bono has little control over his voice. He spends Bad just singing like he's still in puberty. Voice cracks and all. It sounds vulnerable, but compare it to the brilliant WAIA version, and it's left as useless. He sounds awful on ISS and EPAA too.

C) What does that leave in successful songs?

The whole first half.

And that is all.

Do you really believe in that?

The only songs that could (possibly) fill that "fillers theory" are 4th Of July and EPAA. The only one I agree is EPAA because is based in another already-made track and (for me, of course) the song makes no sense, but it could be even a great b-side. Now, I see 4th Of July as some kind of a transition song. Could you imagine the album without those instrumentals as if they were introducing or outroducing something? That's what happens too with Promenade, I don't know why everybody hates it, the instrumental combined with those "insane" lyrics is just beautiful.
MLK? Mate, that song screams Streets intro or the intro for a concert or an event and it works perfectily as the album closer.
I'd see Pride or Wire or ISS or even TUF as fillers, not to talk about Bad and ASOH...
Maybe it sounds "full of fillers" for you because the tracks are so different and strange from what they had made at the time...

bram said:
Does anyone have an mp3 of 60 seconds...somehow I've never gotten ahold of that B-side.

I do, some days it's my favourite song on the album.

:reject:

I think about 40 minutes is about the perfect length for an album

the human extention span doesn't even reach beyond 20 minutes I believe

I agree about short albums. Ten songs is a perfect length. Putting an album together well is an art form, and having great songs isn't the whole deal. They have to flow and when you finish, you should want to jump right back to the beginning. U2 seems to have had this in mind with UF way way way more than any other album. I think that sets it apart from the rest of their albums and partially explains why it has some intense devotees. I would be elated if U2 decided to carve out another album in this mindset. A ten-song 42-minute, beautiful, cohesive, moving, flowing masterpiece.

I think UF is perfect just the way it is, even with EPAA. I wouldn't add anything else to it. But I would make an EP of sorts using the material that wasn't included on UF, because I really do love those songs. I haven't really put much thought into it, but I'd probably have Boomerang II open it and Boomerang I close it.

LemonMelon said:

I don't really agree with the rest of your post but this i definitely do agree with.

Back
Top Bottom