The Unforgettable Fire: How Good Is It?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
gareth brown said:
Ooooh! It's on! :wink:

Aah, that made me laugh out loud.

haha when i am in Bristol i may have to look you up..i have relied on my brothers as my U2 support base...i will not know any other U2 fans when i move:sad:

gareth brown said:
haha! Well I actually LIVE in Bath!

i have heard off Bath namely due to the Roman baths...but where the hell is it?:wink:

great album, promenade is a beautiful song. songs 1-5 are unbelievably strong, the second half lets it down however in my opinion (with the exception of Bad).

rock888nwo said:
i think its far from damn near perfect...joshua tree, achtung baby...those are damn near perfect...for me, mlk and promenade are nice tracks...bad is obviously unbelievable and pride is great...sort of homecoming is also quite good....but thats really it...wire and indian summer sky are not all that special...and 4th of july and elvis p & america arent very good at all

Sooo..

MLK
Promenade
Bad
Pride
ASOHC
UF
Wire

Are good/great/unbelievable..

Whats left to dislike, the remaining 3 songs?

Its an excellent album.

i really like Promenade, 4th of July, Bad, A Sort of Homecoming, The Unforgettable Fire, and Wire. i can't really listen to the rest of the songs. but those 6 songs are really really good.

I think the only song on that album that really sounds like an eighties song is 'the unforgettable fire.' I don't think you could tell what era the rest are from.

There's no way this album is overated. I really think this album is up there with the Joshua Tree in it's brilliance. Sure it has some dodgy tracks (4th of July, Elvis Presley, Indian Summer sky) but in my personal opinion the other 7 tracks are classic U2 songs. So much better than anything U2 have produced recently

jonnytakeawalk said:
So much better than anything U2 have produced recently

i dont know about this...its probably a little better than bomb, and pop was a really good album also...def not better than achtung baby imo...when you say recently i am assuming you mean 90s+

rock888nwo said:

i dont know about this...its probably a little better than bomb, and pop was a really good album also...def not better than achtung baby imo...when you say recently i am assuming you mean 90s+

I'm pretty much talking about 'Bomb' and to some extent 'All that you can't leave behind.' I really thing 'unforgettable fire' is miles ahead in quality compared to these two albums

jonnytakeawalk said:

I'm pretty much talking about 'Bomb' and to some extent 'All that you can't leave behind.' I really thing 'unforgettable fire' is miles ahead in quality compared to these two albums

Can I hear an amen!

jeez guys, atyclb and htdaab are two damn good albums...however, i am not about to argue that they surpass most of U2's earlier catalogue...but the two newer albums are better than SOME old stuff

This album never really made much of an impact with me until about a year ago when I finally got a copy of it on vinyl and just put it on with nothing to do but listen to it. Bad has always been a top song, but after rediscovering it and hearing it live for the first time, it's a top 3 song for me and always will be. Even Promenade and 4th of July, which I considered fairly weak when I first heard them, just sounded new and fresh. The whole album did. How it ranks compared to other albums for me, though, changes day from day, as do most U2 albums and songs.

rock888nwo said:

yeah, 14 years ago...

Axver said:
Though I do believe my expanded UF actually enhances it.

Hmm. I think I've seen you mention this before, but I don't have the use of the "search" function.

Care to explain with a tracklisting, perhaps? :D

XHendrix24 said:

Hmm. I think I've seen you mention this before, but I don't have the use of the "search" function.

Care to explain with a tracklisting, perhaps? :D

I created this so that I could have something to write to (I hate writing in silence and I found UF era music very condusive to good writing). The tracklisting is designed to loop back on itself, hence the placement of The Three Sunrises. I included Promenade twice simply because I love it in both positions. If you only want it once, I'd recommend removing the first one.

1. A Sort Of Homecoming
2. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
3. Wire
4. Indian Summer Sky
5. Boomerang I
6. Boomerang II
7. Love Comes Tumbling
8. Sixty Seconds In Kingdom Come
9. Elvis Presley And America
10. Bass Trap
11. Promenade
12. The Unforgettable Fire
13. Promenade [yes, again]
14. 4th Of July
15. Bad
16. MLK
17. The Three Sunrises

I don't think it's perfect, and there are only 5 or 6 really memorable songs, which is too few for an album. It's not one I would give to one of my friends to get them into U2, although I realise plenty of you may have gotten into them with it. So in that way maybe it is kind of 80s. :shrug:

In any case, it's really helping me get into a better sleeping schedule...Usually I'm like a f'ing insomniac, but the past week I've been listening to it every night before bed, and I always fall asleep during Promenade (not a bad thing :wink: ). Every night...it's so pretty and relaxing. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom