The Unforgettable Fire appreciation thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desire4Bono

Refugee
living in a rock and roll fantasy- and what's wron
Since other albums have been discussed here I want to hear your views on UF. I think UF is a masterpiece. It's their most 'arty' effort I think, and Bono's voice was at perhaps its prime range. Their songs were getting longer and more intricate. Their writing and musicianship were maturing. It's a shame this album is overlooked, especially by people who became fans afterward- even at JT. I want to see some appreciation for this fantastic hidden treasure in U2's catalog. Please?

------------------
I've seen his baby blue eyes in the freeze frame so many times I feel like I'm his very best friend~~~~

well I don't have time to analyze why it is a freakin great album so I'll just say this.

The most vivid memory I have is UF tour - Toronto - Maple Leaf Gardens. Haunting voices fill the arena, suddenly Bono sees Irish flag and motions to get it. he wraps himself in the flag. Crowd falls silent..Could hear a pin drop really. He breaks into Amazing Graze. The hush is almost deafening. This voice carries on forever. He finishes. He motions to give the flag back to the person who gave it to him..A fight breaks out over the flag. Bono gets very angry and chastens them for fighting over something as small as a flag just because he touched it.

Chilling..haunting...gives me goosebumps..very fine indeed..

I started to like "A Sort Of Homecoming". I love the drums in that song. And for some reason, I also like "Elvis Presley and America".
wink.gif
This is strange, but for me, the tunes in the album make me feel sad, but in a nice and nostalgic way. Weird, I know, but that's just how it is.

I love this album for its "artsy" quality and I think it was a marvelous transition from War to JT. I know a lot of critics didn't like it, but they're crazy...

"Wire"
"A Sort of Homecoming"
"The Unforgettable Fire"
"Pride"

and I'm growing to appreciate "Promenade" as well.

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

This is U2's most underrated and underappreciated album. I love it. I love its sound and its look and its feel. Like Icelady said, chilling and haunting. The music and Bono's vocals were like on no other album. It has a special quality none of the others have. I appreciate it and wish more people did. 'Give it another spin'
wink.gif

------------------
~"A little out of touch, little insane, just easier than dealin' with the pain!" ~Soul Asylum, "Runaway Train"

~**The LONE She-Wolf of PLEBA!**~

I agree with *Stormy* - it's definitely the most underated AND underappreciated album.

Ah! I love UF!! Whenever I go jogging on the outskirts of my town, on gravel roads by cornfields and streams, I always listen to UF. MLK is the best song ever to do a cool-down to! The album sounds great when you're out actually experiencing nature - the sounds and the sights complement eachother beautifully!

On a side note, my high school band director gave me crap all the time because I liked U2. He didn't really hate them, he just liked to get me all riled up. Then towards the end of my senior year, he finally broke down and said, "You know, I actually do like that one album that they recorded in the castle. Very creative alubm - very impressionistic."
smile.gif

Oooh! And i'm starting to really love EP&America. I could never really understand what Bono was singing, but then I went on a site and looked at the lyrics and they are...wow! The song sounds like he so heartbroken that he's suffocating.
frown.gif

Wire
Unforgettable Fire
Promenade
4th of July
Bad

Five in a row, I totally love. I recommend total darkness, and lay back on your bed or whatever. Try it, you'll love it. Let the music envelope you.

Yummm....

LMAO@Mad!

I love the Unforgetable Fire album! This album along w/ Zooropa are tied as my 4th favorite!
wink.gif

I abosuletely love "Elvis Presley And America" I can never get tired of it! I love the Bono's vocal's on it, such a unique approach he took on the vocals. I just, love everything about this song!

And "BAD" I mean we have praised this song in the past, but I just love this song so much! I love Bono's vocal's.... Edge's guitar.. and I absolutely LOVE Larry's drumming in this song! Bad is one of my fav songs ever!

Indian Summer Sky.... Promenade...MLK.... are gems to me!
smile.gif

------------------
Looking for the one
But you know you're
somewhere else instead..
I want to be the song
Be the song that you hear in your head .....

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Definitely my favorite U2 album. I can only listen to it when there's snow on the ground though. I don't know why, it's just one of those things...

UF rocks the house! Pride is STILL one of their greatest anthems ever, and Bad gets better every time I listen. Gorgeous stuff. Definitely a maturing step for them.

Ya'll are kidding me, the critics complained?? What, you can't dance to it? *sigh*

Icy, loverly story for you to share, thank you! I enjoyed!

SD

------------------
You don't have to be Henry Kissenger to figure out that a more prosperous world is a more secure world; a more educated world is a more tolerant world; and a more healthy world is a more stable world, and I think that would be a fitting memorial to those who lost their lives on Sept. 11th. ~Bono on Leno, Thanksgiving 2001

UF is my favourite album of all time. "Elvis Presley and America" is probably my favourite song, but the title song is a close second. Also, "Promenade" and "A Sort of Homecoming" are great.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I don't particularly like myth, but to me mystery is everything." --The Edge
"Left my sweet soul beneath the bedclothes/ I?m not coming down/ Walls have ears/ but no one hears/ when nobody?s around"--Starsailor

Such and atmospheric album that just relaxes every muscle in your body. A very underated album. Elvis Costelo ranks it s his favorite U2 CD.

A very quirky album. Very atmospheric, it puts you in another time, a different place when you listen to it. It's one of those albums that's best listened to in a dark room with headphones on. I look at it as the baby brother of Zooroopa.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by scatteroflight:
It's their most "U2" album, to me. Pure U2. It comes from somewhere else. It has the dream qualities that I love, and a lot of passion. It is my favourite U2 album for Bono's vocals.

Brilliant definition scattero, couldn?t agree more. The Unforgettable Fire was the face of U2 for me, for a long, long time, it was my first album, the first U2 album released in my country. It?s magic to me, it makes me travel back in time when I was younger, full of hope and hunger for life. Bad remains my all time fave U2 song, A Sort of Homecoming presents some of the best of Bono?s lyrics, Promenade, MLK, Indian Summer Sky are gems, the whole album has that special mood and atmosphere, it?s unique. I used to have only my vynil, bought back in 1985, until a couple of years ago when a special friend of mine said she wanted to give me the best birthday gift she could...I asked her to give me UF, the CD this time.

i became a huge fan last year and then an even bigger one after seeing them live for the first time in vegas in november.

first album i got by them was ATYCLB
the 2nd one i bought was UF

and my 2 most fav songs on UF are UF and Promenade... mainly cuz these are really spacey music pieces and i seem to write poetry to these for some wierd reason lol

but i also like Pride and Bad a lot...

Finally, some much deserved recognition for this masterpiece. It's my all time fave U2 album; one that never seems to get old. It's moody and magnificent, drawing you in and blowing right by you. A soft caress here and a mighty guitar swipe there and I'm hooked time after time.

I adore The Unforgettable Fire. It's my second fave album, behind Achtung Baby. It's so beautiful and haunting.

------------------
Pink elephants and lemonade.
Dear Jessie, hear the laughter running through the love parade.

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers: Emily's Wallpapers

I like the album, but in order to listen to it, I have to replace the studio versions of A Sort Of Homecoming and especially Bad with the Wide Awake In America versions, which is what I did for the copy I made for my car. I just think they are so much better. Much clearer. I can't listen to the studio version of Bad. I think it is awful. I love the song Wire. I hope this returns to the their shows someday.

When this album first came out, I bought it, listened to it a few times and thought "What the fuck?" It was so different from the first three records that I couldn't deal with it. I was SO very relieved when JT came out. I hadn't listened to UF in 15 years when I finally picked up the cd version of it on ebay just to complete the vinyl to disc change-over. It was the last one left to get on disc. I loved "Wide Awake," and for those 15 years, the "Wide Awake" versions of Homecoming and Bad were all I knew. I had to listen to the disc to post feedback, so I put it on. When I recovered, it became my third favorite U2 record, after JT and AB. I can't stop listening to it. I don't skip any songs, and sometimes I listen to it several times in a row all the way through. I guess I'm making up for lost time.

Be kind.

------------------

You have fairly generic bunions. --my podiatrist, 4-11-02

It's their most "U2" album, to me. Pure U2. It comes from somewhere else. It has the dream qualities that I love, and a lot of passion. It is my favourite U2 album for Bono's vocals.

Favourites include Homecoming, Pride, UF, and Indian Summer Sky--and Bad, but more in its live incarnation.

------------------
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colours came out

So many of you said things I was going to say! It's a ~dreamy~ beautiful~ artsy~ chilling~ haunting~ creative~ magical mystical masterpiece. I love it, all of its songs, Bono's voice, and the places it takes me.

------------------
"I've been all over,
and it's been all over me!"

[This message has been edited by GypsyHeartgirl (edited 04-20-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom