The ultimate U2 live song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bad, easily. It was an amazing concert up until they played Bad. Then it became the greatest Id ever been to.

The Fly.

what i like about it is that it's morphed into something slightly different on each tour and still never fails to dissapoint. i imagine if they play it on the next tour they'll probably mess about with it again in some shape or another and it still won't lose its potency. and it has that soaring guitar solo to take it to the next level.

Has to be Bad for me as well, the song speaks to me more deeply than any other track in the entire canon, it has such a grip on me. I think in a live setting Streets is its nearest contender, but Bad still takes the title as the 'Ultimate Live Song' for me.

It's whisper to a scream structure is impeccably executed, there's a tension and drama to it, plus it has a real epic quality that no other song (such as Please, Kite and All I Want Is You) quite surpasses for me.

It's themes of adversity and turmoil work perfectly for the pay off at the end, when the band are in full flow and Bono unleashes those screams of pure defiance, 'I'm Wide Awake, I'm Wide Awake, you really do believe him. Whatever obstcacles were in his way he's overcome them by the end, he's been triumphant. I think of those screams as elation rather than desperation.

He's not really been able to rip into the song since 92, but it's spirit remains the same. Those eighties performances will always define the band and Bono for me.

Back
Top Bottom