The Ultimate U2 Experience: To Be Milked $1,000 Dry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well i got the cd'dvd version, and see the book version every time in the store and havn't gotten it yet. if i wasnlt smart enoguh to get that first and then i won;t buy it twice.

jick said:
I even failed to mention U2.com's $500 for a set of lithographs that are hand numbered! Usually when you buy lithographs, they are not just hand numbered by some random company employee, they are also hand signed by the artist himself/herself. In U2's case, not even a hand signature of the band members who drew these stuff - yet they charge $500! I might as well just scan my collector's edition hardcover book and print it out than buy that overpriced piece!

Cheers,

J

You mean the lithographs of the things Larry painted? Hey, if Larry were a professional painter, and people liked his work, he could probably charge more for the actual works.

Ever see the work of Thomas Kincade? A lot of the paintings on sale, are actually reprints, with little touch-ups of paint on them, not the actual painting, and it's hundreds of dollars for the larger reprints.

I dunno, I feel weird signing my name on things I paint, almost takes away from the work, with a little signature on the corner. I know that's how it's been done for centuries, but I've taken to putting my name on the back a few times. *of course, they are mostly works that only I know of, and have seen*

The fact that Larry/any other artist/ painted some of those things, who needs a signature? There's usually a certificate of authenticity, that's enough for me.

Last edited:
jick said:
I even failed to mention U2.com's $500 for a set of lithographs that are hand numbered! Usually when you buy lithographs, they are not just hand numbered by some random company employee, they are also hand signed by the artist himself/herself. In U2's case, not even a hand signature of the band members who drew these stuff - yet they charge $500! I might as well just scan my collector's edition hardcover book and print it out than buy that overpriced piece!

Cheers,

J
If the person really did purchase a fan club membership, they only pay $375 for the set of lithographs using the 25% coupon.

thrillme said:

The fact that Larry/any other artist/ painted some of those things, who needs a signature? There's usually a certificate of authenticity, that's enough for me.

In other lithographs in other fields, the artist usually hand-signs his signature -- not in the print but in the back or in the certificate of authenticity or in whatever area where the numbers are. Mullen didn't even bother to sign anywhere.

Cheers,

J

you think u2 milks fans? how about the wwe, pro wrestling. they have 12-16 ppvs a year,. at 35 bucks a pop. they put replaca's of the title belts, witch cost 200-400 bucks a pop. they put out contless dvd's, t shirts, etc. the shows are comparble to a rock concert. how about that shit? fans don;t need this stuff in theory. You can watch the regular shows for free. why is that not milking? they put all kinds of shit to buy. far more then u2. and wwe is just as not nessery as u2. so forgot your comparstion to the cereal as a being a nessesity. I mean, you realy have no augurment. you can say that u2 and wwe arn't the same thing, but thier both forms of entertianment. you don't need to buy these things. 1,00 for u2??? i could spend 1,000 in 10 mins on wrestling shit. get outta here. hell, wwe has thier own dam cable station now.

Last edited:
jick said:

Cheers,

J

Actually, the price for the set (or the individual lithos) isn't bad. Each one is pretty damned large (690 mm x 970 mm) and each does have a Certificate Of Authenticity, so if properly cared for they could retain or even increase in value over the years. I don't think it's a bad price for what they are. They aren't for everyone, but for those who want them, they are decently priced.

I know an artist (I know many, but I'm using just one to illustrate this point ;) ) who is selling prints of his work. The prints are approx. 300 mm x 450 mm (and a bit smaller) and are printed with archival ink on watercolor paper (cold press). The open edition ones (unsigned, no limit on number produced and sold) are priced at $100 USD. The signed, limited edition ones start at $150 USD. So what's being charged on U2.com for the lithos isn't out of line at all.

jick said:

In other lithographs in other fields, the artist usually hand-signs his signature -- not in the print but in the back or in the certificate of authenticity or in whatever area where the numbers are. Mullen didn't even bother to sign anywhere.

Cheers,

J

Hmm, if that's the case, it might be that Larry just doesn't know he's supposed to hand sign his signature.

thrillme said:

Hmm, if that's the case, it might be that Larry just doesn't know he's supposed to hand sign his signature.

Or perhaps he doesn't know how to write at all?

Cheers,

J

jick said:

Or perhaps he doesn't know how to write at all?

Cheers,

J

Huh, he clearly knows how to type, got an email from him, or maybe someone typed that up for him...hehe, somehow I imagine Larry's a "hunt and peck" typer, as Bono says about himself.

Look, Jick? If you are so negative about U2 and it seems you maybe negative in life in general. Why don't you take your negative energy where it will be appreciated more. It seems that you are trying to get a rise out of people. It is true that no one is putting a gun to our head to buy all the U2 products. They also need to make a living for their families as well as for themselves. I am sure that if you were in a very popular band, you would be doing the same thing. If you say no, you are lying to yourself. So why don't you do something positive in your life.

mysticchild said:
Look, Jick? If you are so negative about U2 and it seems you maybe negative in life in general. Why don't you take your negative energy where it will be appreciated more. It seems that you are trying to get a rise out of people. It is true that no one is putting a gun to our head to buy all the U2 products. They also need to make a living for their families as well as for themselves. I am sure that if you were in a very popular band, you would be doing the same thing. If you say no, you are lying to yourself. So why don't you do something positive in your life.

But don't you find Jick's threads fun? I mean, whether you agree or disagree, they are always interesting and thought provoking. And lots of people always post in them, so those people must be getting some enjoyment out of them.

thrillme said:

Huh, he clearly knows how to type, got an email from him, or maybe someone typed that up for him...hehe, somehow I imagine Larry's a "hunt and peck" typer, as Bono says about himself.

If you give him a pencil, he'd think it were a drumstick and he'll just bang it on the table so hard imagining it were a snare.

Cheers,

J

mysticchild said:

I just ranted at the high cost of living as a U2 collector for this new album. It just isn't as simple as before. And that is a fact.

I have also mentioned many many times to people who complain about U2's profiteering - that is U2's only job. It's not a hobby for them. Music is their cashcow, not their part-time fun thing.

I don't think I am negative. As a matter of fact, I am regarded as one of the most positive members in this forum - known for starting threads to end all negativity, to praise the band's album track selection/order/exclusion, to praise their business antics, and even to talk about their pot belly avoidance to aid their longevity.

The problem is that there is a noisy minority here who like to portray me as a negative person. But I am generally positive and most people here know that.

Cheers,

J

I look forward to seeing Jick's posts, he speaks the truth (most of the time).

Certain members follow him and make a big deal out of everything he says, everytime Jick posts, a large herd of whiners are sure to follow. :|

There is so much bickering on this site :crack:

I blame U2 for my alarm going of in the morning AND the killing of baby seals

they spread a sickening capitalistic message somehow

Wow, Jick.....you got screwed. Hope you like Irish men.

Me, I bought the cd only. For ten bucks! Still waiting for a autumn concert.

jick said:

If you give him a pencil, he'd think it were a drumstick and he'll just bang it on the table so hard imagining it were a snare.

Cheers,

J

Pah, lots of people do that anyway--tapping a pencil.

Maybe he has one of those quill pens, the big feather you dip in ink. Oh, unless he has allergies to bird feathers. :hmm:

If ya don't wanna buy U2 shit, don't buy it.

If ya do wanna buy U2 shit, buy it.

I choose to buy what I can afford so I buy it.

Money well spent, cause U2 are worth paying for cause they got musical and moral integrity and play brilliant and innovative music which makes me feel good.

You're my hero, Jick! Fucking brilliant! You know, if you ever make it to Vancouver, I'll buy you a beer...not wait a minute...I'll take you out to dinner!

I love you!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom