the UF tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popmart86

Acrobat
what was it like, anyone know?

were the seats behind the stage closed?
was it a half house show?
what was the backdrop like?

i have a cd bootleg of it (VERY FORTUNATE!!!) but it doesnt do enough. thanks.:wink:

I saw them in Phoenix in '85 at an outdoor show. The show was great, of course, but the crowd was a bit rowdy up front. It was in an amphitheater. They weren't playing big arenas yet, except for the festivals.

I sat in pretty good seats for LA (right behind Richard Blade, down on Adam's side). As far as I can remember that far back :feeble: , the arena was filled. I don't think I remember a backdrop.

It was a long time ago. :reject:

martha said:
I sat in pretty good seats for LA (right behind Richard Blade, down on Adam's side). As far as I can remember that far back :feeble: , the arena was filled. I don't think I remember a backdrop.

But your still young at heart and very beautiful (just a vibe i am picking up from you):sexywink:

martha said:

I don't remember the backdrop either. I'm thinking it must not have been very spectacular.

I went to the UF tour at the Edinburgh Playhouse on November 5th 1984 (my 2nd U2 show after Feb 1983). IIRC there were 2 backdrops. The first was the boys face from the cover of War and then that changed to an UF themed backdrop about halfway through the gig. I think it was the cover of the Pride single and it was also covered in netting to give it a military look. The 1st backdrop was in the centre, behing Larry and the 2nd backdrop was behind Adam.

I think thats right but it was while ago.

BTW - Bono had a backwards beret type hat on. I remember think that he looked very cool.

Last edited:
They came to Australia in late 84 before the album came out. They were playing arenas here and in the case of Sydney/Melbourne, doing 7, 8 shows. There was no backdrop and Bono was wearing leather trousers :drool:

I got second row centre :combust:

I was in the nosebleed seats of the Hampton Coliseum. I don't think there was any GA.

According to U2 Live (my new second favorite book in the world), there was a backdrop for the European gigs, involving slides that changed periodically throughout the show. But when the tour made it to the states the second time (the first being the handful of December 1984 gigs that were performed basically as a tease to the Spring 1985 tour), they dropped all the backdrops and sold the seats behind the stage.

I saw the show in San Francisco 12/15/84.

From what I remember, there were the slides mentioned earlier...the boy...bare tree branches...I recall a slide of Dr. King during Pride, but that could be faulty memory. there were no seats behind the stage and the lights were pretty basic. Just U2 and its music...and that's all I've ever needed.

They came back in March 1985 and I saw both shows at the Cow Palace (3/7/85 & 3/8/85). The backdrop was gone in favour of seats behind the stage. Once again, just U2 and its music. A couple of songs changes were made on the second night very similar to what happens these days. I remember many people getting up on stage at these shows. One chick ran up behind Bono and hugged him from behind. He carried her over to side speakers and said something like, "they make them big here in America...we Irish just have big mouths!"

All three shows were general admission and I was up close every time. The ticket price was $13.50. :)

Last edited:
UF Tour Houston. Feb. 1985. Best show I have ever seen. It made me a fanatic. I remember a lot of things like Bono talking about how big the place was (I don't think it was sold out and there were empty seats behind the stage) and how Bono stopped the show during wire to berate a security guard. What else?? They hardly had any lighting (I remember counting the total number of lights and being amazed how few there were- something like 30) and the stage floor was a grey carpet..

Back
Top Bottom