The U2 Tribute Concert From Hell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
(THE FOLLOWING IS A PIECE OF SATIRE WRITTEN BY ME, IT IS A JOKE, NONE OF IT IS REAL)

Sponsered By MTV:

The U2 Tribute Concert From Hell: The Death Of Some Of U2's Greatest Music...

1.I Will Follow - Good Charlotte
2.Sunday Bloody Sunday - Blink 182
3.New Year's Day - 3 Doors Down
4.Pride(In The Name Of Love) - Maroon5
5.Bad - Nickelback
6.Where The Streets Have No Name - Black-Eyed Peas
7.I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - Justin Timberlake
8.With Or Without You - Yellowcard
9.Bullet The Blue Sky - Kid Rock
10.Desire - Hilary Duff
11.One - Marc Anthony
12.Until The End Of The World - Linkin Park
13.Stay(Faraway, So Close) - Clay Aiken
14.Please - Hoobastank
15.Beautiful Day - Limp Bizket
16.Stuck In A Moment - Backstreet Boys
17.Vertigo - Kanye West
18.City Of Blinding Lights - Evanescence

Maroon 5 were also going to play a rendition of 'Lemon', but decided not to when they were told by fans who were nearby when they rehearsed that, '[Frontman]Adam Levine sounded like a cat with a bullet lodged in its throat when singing the falsetto parts of the song' - for those who don't know, falsettos make up nearly half the song.

MTV is being held from airing the concert, as U2 themselves are claiming that they never gave MTV permission to record or air any such performances of their songs for a tribute like this. Principle Management is threatening to file a massive lawsuit against MTV if media giant airs the special, which includes covers of 18 of U2's biggest hits that come from a span of 25 years, by some of today's hottest bands and musical artists.

Says U2 frontman Bono: "This is really maddening that MTV, an organization that we owe a large portion of our success to, has not only gone behind our backs to produce this thing, but is also claiming that we approved it. We never approved it. And judging from the tracklisting here, it's a bloody good thing we didn't. We would NEVER approve these covers if THESE are the people invovled. You think we would actually give permission for Marc Anthony to over-sing and over-emote 'One' like he does with every other song he sings? We wouldn't have. This whole thing is just ridiculous."

Adds guitarist The Edge: "It's a stab in the back. And really, if they had come to us, we wouldn't have allowed it - I have to say it's quite disappointing that this is the best MTV could do with regards to matching artists and musicians to our songs. I'm fairly certain that some of these pairings are putting an artist or band with a song that just has some musical facets that they just aren't familiar with - for example, Black-Eyed Peas apparently did Streets, and Streets, like I say, has musical facets that I just don't think this particular band is very familiar with, like MELODY and the sort, for fuck's sake! So, we feel , and we have made clear, that if MTV airs this thing, they will have to face the consequences"

Chimes in bassist Adam Clayton: "We really look at this as a betrayal, because, when something like this occurs, either they are under the mistaken impression that they have permssion to do it, or they have spited us and gone ahead and done it anyway. Considering that neither any of us nor our management ever had any contact with anyone from MTV regarding this project, it is increasingly hard to believe that the first possibility is possible at all. And it's quite saddening to us because it's like, I don't want to say it's like watching your children get beaten up because it's obviously not that serious, but(Bono adds from the background at this point, 'like watching your dog or cat get abused') - (Clayton laughs) yes, what he said. It's just not a good feeling when one, an organization your trusted crosses you like this, and two, when such a poor job has been done with the performances themselves. I mean, take Yellowcard for example. They did With Or Without You. Now, I haven't heard this yet, none of us have, as it hasn't been aird yet - we hope it stays that way - but just a week ago, Yellowcard played that song from the Breakfast Club movie at MTV's Movie Awards show, Don't You Forget About Me, and - I just...would hate to see With Or Without You suffer the same fate."

Drummer and founder Larry Mullen Jr. wasn't present. According to his bandmates, he flew of the handle upon finding out about MTV's intentions and had to be held down by all three of them while being convinced that it was a bad idea for him to go in front of cameras or microphones in his current state. Mullen has always taken a keen intrest in U2's commercial side, in deciding what gets sold with the U2 name and what doesn't, so he was especially upset. Larry did, however, release the following statement through the band:

"This is bloody awful, and it is really very distressing to all of us. If MTV goes on with this and airs the thing, there will be major, major consequences. If they have a problem with that, they know what they can do and where they can go."

Distressing indeed. Further updates as they come.

hahaha...some of these matchups are way too farfetched...hilary duff covering "desire"???? :yikes:

How about Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera's rendition of "When Love Comes to Town?" :wink:

And I heard NSYNC was going to get together to do "Pride." Or was it "Vertigo?"

Last edited:
The only way this could be worse is if Creed and Fallout Boy were involved. And Dave Matthews Band, I hate DMB.

Black Eyed Peas doing Where the Streets Have No Name!? :lmao: How would that even WORK? Nickelback doing Bad...:yikes: that's probably the worst offense. No, I think Hoobastank doing Please is worse. Far worse.

Linkin Park and Kid Rock could do something pretty cool with a U2 song. There are ALOT of shit ass bands/singers who don't deserve to cover U2.

Hillary Duff? Black Eyed Peas? Maroon 5?
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

packcrush said:
Or Kelly Clarksons beautiful acoustic Mofo. :wink:

..Am I the only one that thinks Kelly Clarkson covering Mofo would be awesome?:reject:

Hey, the chick can sing. It's not her fault all of the songs the record company writes for her suck. :wink:

Oh, and the Black Eyed Peas and Kanye West > Kid Rock and Linkin Park, just for reference. Since they're actually decent at what they do, and Kid Rock/Linkin Park horribly fail at trying to be the great rock acts that they so desperately want to be.

They're all pretty crap, though. :yes:

Oh, and Nickelback and Hoobastank are DEFINATELY the worst offenders. I mean...holy Jesus, I think I'd die if either of those covers were real. :crazy:

Hoobastank is the worst band name in the history of music. All formats. All time. They probably have bad music too but I refuse to even let my ears hear anything made by a band called Hoobastank. ewww. just hearing the word (is it a word?) makes me wanna vomit.

Anyway, on a totally unrelated tangent--Kanye West, isn't he supposed to be pretty good? And nobody better be hating on Kelly Clarkson!

Okay, carry on.

You know what's really sad? If MTV were to schedule this show with the above lineup, U2 would probably be very happy to go along with it, claiming it shows how they are still relevant to the younger generation. :rolleyes:

BTW, that is a truly sucktastic lineup, for the most part. I do like Kanye West, but I'm not sure how I would feel about him doing a U2 song.

Last edited:
Bono's shades said:
You know what's really sad? If MTV were to schedule this show with the above lineup, U2 would probably be very happy to go along with it, claiming it shows how they are still relevant to the younger generation. :rolleyes:

You know, that's just what I thought when I saw this thread's premise! I can just hear Bono gushing about how honoured U2 is to have such wonderfully talented artists doing a tribute to them, and how he is hoping everyone will watch. :rolleyes:

Somehow I don't imagine Adam being that bothered. Ever research what kind of music/bands he likes, many would surprise a lot of U2 fans. Left field kind of stuff mostly.

Usually people who cover U2 songs, are U2 fans. They'd be flattered cos I think they are aware of that.

Henry Rollins is never gonna cover a U2 song, unless it's to butcher it out of spite, or do some sort of parody.

U2 haters, you'll know it. U2 fans who are in bands, you'll know the difference.

I think Bono likes the Black Eyed Peas.

If Dr. Dre wanted to do some sort of cover, Edge might be cool with it, as they're friends. Adam picked a Dr. Dre instrumental (he has an actual bassist) for an online radio station.

Linkin Park are big U2 fans, well the singer and the guitarist are.

Get a bunch of bands, U2 are into, and invite them to do covers. I'm sure the list would be surprising.

I would love to hear the black eyed version of streets...

man I'm gonna think about this for the next 15 minutes:hmm:

Kenny G doing a special instrumental version of Bullet the Blue Sky/MOFO medley

Back
Top Bottom