The typical U2 fan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indra

ONE love, blood, life
Steve Kilbey of The Church (oh, shut up and just keep reading! I have to lead into this question somehow. :mad: :wink: ) once noted that people who listen to his band are "Not yer usual geek, usually bespectacled, shy, mid 20s-mid 30s, thoughtful, interested in occult etc." (that was nearly 9 years ago, so the age skews higher now :( )

In thinking about the Church fans I know, I realise that comment does fit a lot of us, at least a good deal of it does. Of course not everyone who likes The Church fits that description neatly, but there do seem to be traits common to people who like their music.

It kind of makes sense to me that a "cult" (or niche) band such as The Church would appeal to a group of people with similar characteristics, but I wondered about a band with such widespread popularity as U2.

So is there such a thing as a typical U2 fan? Are there traits a significant portion of their fans share? Do hardcore fans share more similarities than casual fans?

doubt it!

I have seen so many races and ages at concerts...and U2 are huge in virtually every market!

Good taste in musicis the most common trait shared!! lol!

:wink:

A conversation between 2 U2 fans:

Person 1: Hey! Haven't seen you in quite a while!

Person 2: Yeah, what's up!.... Man, is it cold outside or what?!!

Person 1: At least it's brightly lit, dude.

Person 2: Eh.. it's okay. It gets so hot in here anyway.

It's hard to generalise but U2 fans definately have high standards thus they don't mind bagging some of U2s catalogue that they feel is under par. They demand perfection from them.

Also I think it's fair to say most U2 fans would be morally conscious. Many (especially old school U2 fans) would have stong political views too (even if U2s music doesn't seem to have these anymore.)

jonnytakeawalk said:
Many (especially old school U2 fans) would have stong political views too (even if U2s music doesn't seem to have these anymore.)

Anyone who thinks this clearly is illiterate to some degree, or bought a copy of HTDAAB missing Love And Peace Or Else and Crumbs From Your Table, both of which have very strong messages.

I would agree, though, that many U2 fans have strong political views and are socially conscious. The hardcore fans tend to have very high standards and are often very opinionated and critical. There's a tendency to very strongly favour one era (i.e. the Achtung worshippers, or how I've taken up residency in Lovetown).

Zootlesque said:

:lol:

indra said:

So is there such a thing as a typical U2 fan? Are there traits a significant portion of their fans share? Do hardcore fans share more similarities than casual fans?

I think for the hardcore fans, there's a need to hear music throughout much of the day. With U2, we caught that bit of lightning, whenever it was that we first heard them, and they've stuck in our minds ever since because they sound like no other band.

I think with the casual fan, music isn't so much a part of their lives, or it's just a backdrop of disposable top 40 stuff that becomes their soundtrack.

You know what? I really don't know what the hell I'm talking about!:confused:

Anyone who thinks this clearly is illiterate to some degree

:|

Anyway, back to topic...

A typical U2 fan? Nah, I don't think so. I've seen so many different types of people at the shows I've attended and met so many different kinds of people on the boards. As the saying goes, "It takes all kinds," and the forums certainly illustrate that. :wink:

I've just thought of something! Sense of humour...I find that to be a common thread here. Other band sites are much more mundane, I've noticed.

Zootlesque said:

:lmao:

U2 fans are hot.

Re: Re: The typical U2 fan

angelordevil said:
With U2, we caught that bit of lightning, whenever it was that we first heard them, and they've stuck in our minds ever since because they sound like no other band.

Yes! That's exactly how it happened with me... I thought "who IS this?! Must hear more!" So I guess one characteristic common to all U2 fans is that we're all smitten.

indra said:

I once used to think this, but not anymore. And that's got to do with the way U2 is still popular 25 years after their first record.

I do believe U2 were more overt with their politics in the early records, and it was a more political time - nuclear disarmament, Cold war, Reaganism/Thatcherism (and the movements against them).

I believe that this is a more consumerist era, maybe people arent' so politicised now and U2 tend to be more oblique regarding messages in their music (Bono's political work notwithstanding).

I don't think fans who got into U2 in the early 80's have much in common with those who got into them around Pop, AYCLB.

AtomicBono said:

U2 fans are hot.

With that new DVD thread with screen caps of possible interference members, I would have to agree with you there. Some of those U2 females are :drool:

I'd be interested to know if other U2 fans feel guilty about the inordinate amount of time they spend on forums like this, or the amount they drive their families mad by playing their songs all the time.

Re: Re: The typical U2 fan

angelordevil said:

I think for the hardcore fans, there's a need to hear music throughout much of the day. With U2, we caught that bit of lightning, whenever it was that we first heard them, and they've stuck in our minds ever since because they sound like no other band.

I think with the casual fan, music isn't so much a part of their lives, or it's just a backdrop of disposable top 40 stuff that becomes their soundtrack.

You know what? I really don't know what the hell I'm talking about!:confused:

I agree! Being a U2 fan makes you realize the kind of immense power and potential that music can have, and it brings your idea of listening to music to a higher level. I think we're all guilty of being a bit snooty around our friends and believing that "we know what real music is", but I think it's true that most casual music listeners go through 'flavor of the week' type pop songs which tend to only provide transient and shallow enjoyment, whereas people like us actually worship our songs (I know I do).

Re: Re: Re: The typical U2 fan

pookybear said:
I think we're all guilty of being a bit snooty around our friends and believing that "we know what real music is", but I think it's true that most casual music listeners go through 'flavor of the week' type pop songs which tend to only provide transient and shallow enjoyment, whereas people like us actually worship our songs (I know I do).

Sounds like me, except then my friends counter back and say "Fall Out Boy (insert any poo poo band) is the best!" Then I laugh under my breath.:giggle:

catlhere said:

With that new DVD thread with screen caps of possible interference members, I would have to agree with you there. Some of those U2 females are :drool:

Well I'm a U2 fan, so obviously U2 fans are hot! :wink: No, really, I've been to a few concerts this year (Green Day, The Killers, Bright Eyes), and by FAR the hottest guys were at U2. Sooo many gorgeous twentysomethings :drool: and my friend saw the Rolling Stones and he said the hottest guy there had a U2 shirt on!!

Yeah I think U2 fans are a little snooty and stuck up about their music because it's actually, you know, good. And I also agree that U2 fans are a lot more in love with their music. I can't live without music, personally, and if I could only listen to one band for the rest of my life, the choice would be easy...Fall Out Boy, duh!! :wink:

I think the vast majority of U2 fans are nice, decent people.

I also think we have a better sense of humor regarding the band than most other superfans... we can make fun of Bono's bad dancing and it's all ok.

For the most part. There are exceptions to every rule.

AtomicBono said:

Yeah I think U2 fans are a little snooty and stuck up about their music because it's actually, you know, good. And I also agree that U2 fans are a lot more in love with their music. I can't live without music, personally, and if I could only listen to one band for the rest of my life, the choice would be easy...Fall Out Boy, duh!! :wink:

I agree with most of the postings. U2 fans cover the spectrum and are made up of people who have been listening since 1980 to 2004. We are all ages from 5 to 75 and all ethnicities.

Friendliness is a predominant characteristic in almost every U2 fan that I have met. I have been to 4 U2 shows by myself and have found people to extemely accomodating and open to new people.

We are hardcore and casual, and sometimes we are both. We are critical and supportive at the same time. It is kind of like having a sibling where it is ok for you to beat the shit out of them but if someone outside the family tries it, look out, you will defend them with every fiber of your being.

I always think that I have been so fortunate to latch on to a band that has been around for the majority of my life. People have said music is the soundtrack of your life. Well, I'm 36 now and thankful that U2 has been with be since I was 13 years old and continues to be. Yet, I meet teenagers at concerts who have only been listening to U2 since 2001 and are just as excited about the band as me. It's a wonderful thing really and when U2 releases a new cd, it ain't like when Duran Duran or Depeche Mode do it. They're not back after a long absence, they have never left. Hopefully, they never will.

BTW, not all U2 fans are hot, I have seen the odd scary person.:wink:

Last edited:
The first time you find out that someone you know is a U2 fan, that first spark of lightning that says "oh shit they get this"...it's like hearing the beginning of In God's Country for the first time :wink:

:drool:

Re: Re: Re: The typical U2 fan

pookybear said:

I agree! Being a U2 fan makes you realize the kind of immense power and potential that music can have, and it brings your idea of listening to music to a higher level. I think we're all guilty of being a bit snooty around our friends and believing that "we know what real music is", but I think it's true that most casual music listeners go through 'flavor of the week' type pop songs which tend to only provide transient and shallow enjoyment, whereas people like us actually worship our songs (I know I do).

This is true of U2 fanatics, but I think it's also true of anyone who is a hardcore fan of any (relatively good) artist or just really into music in general. There are people in the world who like music, and then there are people who LOVE music. U2 harcores tend to be in the latter category, along with many others...

What is perhaps different about U2 fans (and perhaps fans of Springsteen and some other artists) is their belief that music can transcend, it can be BIG and powerful and spiritual and passionate. Some music fans would call that pretentious, arrogant, too serious. But U2 fans find it meaningful and because of this the music they love may mean more to them than to most music fans, even the harcore ones.

I find it interesting that there are very few consensuses (consensi?) among fans... no one agrees on any album or era as being categorically great or the best or whatever.... I for example think October/War/UF are pretty bad albums and am extremely glad I got into U2 afterwards...had I been around when they were released I may have just gone off the band altogether at that point.

tommycharles said:
I find it interesting that there are very few consensuses (consensi?) among fans... no one agrees on any album or era as being categorically great or the best or whatever.... I for example think October/War/UF are pretty bad albums and am extremely glad I got into U2 afterwards...had I been around when they were released I may have just gone off the band altogether at that point.

:ohmy:

I agree, there are those who'll tell you that Boy is the best album or Pop is for that matter, it was U2 that made me a serious music fan without them I wouldn't have picked up a guitar or expanded my musical tastes.

Really I'm in their debt. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom