The typical U2 fan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tommycharles said:
I find it interesting that there are very few consensuses (consensi?) among fans... no one agrees on any album or era as being categorically great or the best or whatever.... I for example think October/War/UF are pretty bad albums and am extremely glad I got into U2 afterwards...had I been around when they were released I may have just gone off the band altogether at that point.

Yea it's funny that sometimes we can say we dislike a certain album that we are SURE is not good, and then another U2 fan comes in :madspit: -ing and saying you have no taste because it's the "b3st a1bum eVaH!" and we're still all friends in the end. Well most of us :wink: U2 is like a community of sisters... brotherrssss (get it? hahaha, I crack myself up)

One little thing I thought of that hasn't been mentioned. Do you think a majority of U2 fans are christians? :confused:

Bono seems to have a very deep faith in God, I wonder if that translates into more Christian fans than the aforementioned Fall Out Boy :wink: which is probably all emo athiest non-comformists :|

In my opinion. :wink: -runs-

catlhere said:

One little thing I thought of that hasn't been mentioned. Do you think a majority of U2 fans are christians? :confused:

Bono seems to have a very deep faith in God, I wonder if that translates into more Christian fans than the aforementioned Fall Out Boy :wink: which is probably all emo athiest non-comformists :|

In my opinion. :wink: -runs-

I personally don't consider myself to be a Christian, but I still believe in God, blah, blah. I think that to truly understand most of U2's lyrics, you have to at least know some sort of Biblical background. Does this translate into more Christian fans? I don't know...to the Fall Out Boy reference:lmao: The reason I brought them up in specific earlier is that one of my friends saw them up in Minneapolis this weekend and wouldn't stop talking about it...now I know how my friends felt after my U2 concert in Minneapolis:D

onebloodonelife said:

I personally don't consider myself to be a Christian, but I still believe in God, blah, blah. I think that to truly understand most of U2's lyrics, you have to at least know some sort of Biblical background. Does this translate into more Christian fans? I don't know...to the Fall Out Boy reference:lmao: The reason I brought them up in specific earlier is that one of my friends saw them up in Minneapolis this weekend and wouldn't stop talking about it...now I know how my friends felt after my U2 concert in Minneapolis:D

Yea I got the same reaction. "Man, this guy never shuts up about U2"

WELL EXCUUUUUUSE ME! :madspit:

catlhere said:

That's a good question. Though in the US for example, the majority of people consider themselves to be Christians, even if it's been 5 years since they stepped inside a church or even gave religion any thought. In that case, the majority of American U2 fans (or fans of most bands) would be Christian, though whether that has anything to do with them liking U2 would be another issue entirely.

A better question to ask would be, are U2 fans more likely to be committed Christians (as in, really involved, serious about their faith) than fans of other bands? I'd say yes. I think there is a good sized subculture of religious Christian U2 fans, whose passion for the band stems from their faith. This is something a lot of artists don't have. However, I don't think the "average" U2 fan is necessarily very religious.

catlhere said:

Yea I got the same reaction. "Man, this guy never shuts up about U2"

WELL EXCUUUUUUSE ME! :madspit:

haha! :lol: A few years ago, when my mom was gearing up for a camping trip with my aunts, she asked me to pick out some "nice music" for them to listen to along the way. I put all of my u2 tapes in the car for them to play in the cassette player, including a Zoo Tv concert I recorded on radio. When they returned a few days later, I asked if they like the music, and received some serious eye rolls in return.

I do my best to convert the deprived, but it often backfires, and just makes me look like i have a U2 sickness...:der:

That U2 sickness thing hasn't bothered me for a long time. The way I see it, it's for there own good.:wink:

trevster2k said:
That U2 sickness thing hasn't bothered me for a long time. The way I see it, it's for there own good.:wink:

Exactly! Their loss. :wink:

How lucky are we to be alive in the same time period that the greatest band in the existance of music is alive. :drool:

VIVA U2!

tommycharles said:
I find it interesting that there are very few consensuses (consensi?) among fans... no one agrees on any album or era as being categorically great or the best or whatever.... I for example think October/War/UF are pretty bad albums and am extremely glad I got into U2 afterwards...had I been around when they were released I may have just gone off the band altogether at that point.

Yeah, you know, most bands have one album that is universally considered their best, but that's not the case with U2 at all. Though I'd say JT and AB are their two classic albums, I know there are people here that would disagree and argue that AB is overrated and UF is the greatest thing known to man (but I won't mention any names :angel: ). Also, the publically and critically maligned Pop has an extremely strong following among hardcore fans :shrug:

I don't know about religion and U2. I'd definitely say they probably have one of the biggest Christian followings of any major rock band. It'd be interesting to find out how much of the U2 fan population are Christians, and furthermore how much are extremely devout. I'd also say that U2 fans tend to lean more toward the liberal side politics wise, but this definitely isn't true of all U2 fans. You don't have to agree with U2's politics or religion to be a hardcore fan, though I'm sure it'd be a bit frustrating at times if you didn't.

Back
Top Bottom