The Tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lemontreeexit

The Fly
So... I have made 3 trips to Death Valley/Joshua Tree National Park. On my last visit I had the chance to visit with a couple of the elders of the Timbisha tribe for a research project (which doesn't involve the U2 tree) I am doing. I have found out the following.

1. The area the Tree is located in is sacred land for the Timbisha tribe. I knew this already which is why I asked.

2. They have pictures of the tree ( and surrounding area) from the 30s 50s and 70s. I am in the process of getting copies of these.

3. The tree was PLANTED in the late 1800s by tribal members to mark where the "burial lands" began. For those of you who have been to the tree this is the land about 30 feet to the south of the tree.

I just returned this afternoon from the my trip and I am still speechless.

Wow cool. Thanks for that info. How did you meet these people?
I'll be visiting the area in January. I hope you'll post those pics when you get them!

lemontreeexit said:
3. The tree was PLANTED in the late 1800s by tribal members to mark where the "burial lands" began. For those of you who have been to the tree this is the land about 30 feet to the south of the tree.
Now see, that's interesting. If I recall, on the Classic Albums Joshua Tree DVD, they said that the tree stood out to them because of how it stood so alone (Joshua trees normally grow in bunches), so that explains it.

It's cool that the tree was special long before U2 ever laid eyes upon it :)

limontreeexit , do you know if the Timbisha tribe is upset with U2 fans for making pilgimages to there holy site ?

will you be posting the older photos of The Tree ?

I'm going to have the negatives in my posession soon.

They actually think its pretty cool that people go see it!

The tree isn't very far from where I live.

I'm actually planning a trip out there before the weather gets warm again. I should have already gone.

Lemontreeexit,
Thanks for the added info about the tribe! That is very cool.

It's nice to hear the Timbisha Tribe like the fact that people go out there to see the tree. I hope they don't mind the time capsule stuff and the rocks being moved around..??? I wonder...

But this info just confirms the fact that it is a sacred site for so many reasons!

I just hope people continue to show respect for the land and the
history of the place and it's people!

Lemontreeexit, has someone told you the tree is still there, or are you only talking about the site? Just wondering, since you seem to refer to the tree in the present tense in your posts.

Butterscotch, the tree is still there. It's just on the ground now. There have been several people who have posted about going out to see what's left of it.

I live close by the joshua trees too, and have been through there many times in my life. They are beautiful to see. I haven't seen THE tree yet, maybe next time.

bonosgirl84 said:
Butterscotch, the tree is still there. It's just on the ground now. There have been several people who have posted about going out to see what's left of it.

I'm really surprised after being dead for seven years that there would still be anything left of it. I thought it would have rotted, or people would have carried away pieces as souveniers. Maybe it will petrify out there in the desert, and last for hundreds of years as a testiment to U2's legacy.

Here's a story about a guy who found the dead tree and it had ATYCLB emblems made of rocks.

http://www.joshuatreenationalpark.net/u2tree.htm

also saw another link, can't find it now, of a guy taking a recent trip there posing by what was obviously the wrong tree :tongue:

Back
Top Bottom