The tragic demise of "Staring at the Sun"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snutes1

Acrobat
I am sure after completing the POP sessions, the boys and Paul McGuiness thougt this song was going to be a huge hit. When I first heard this song, I was like " This song is going to be absolutely amazing live"

But then..........

Discotheque was released first instead of SATS. Mind you this is very debatable. I myself didnt care since I loved POP, but releasing SATS first may have bettered the fortunes of this album.

then.....

I hear reports that the song bombed live early in the tour (las vegas etc ). That they had a faux start, etc. and had to start playing the song acoustic, which was nice (live from rotterdam eg.) but I think it deserves an all out electric version every night.

then......

The song is BASTARDIZED and remixed for the 2nd best of album. That version is horrible and completely deflates the true feeling that was created in the original sessions. You cant fix art folks, its perfect once created.

Enough of my ranting.

It's my favorite song off of Pop. They released Discotheque to shock people; show how different U2 have reinvented themselves again.

I definitely second a live, full-on band rendition of this song. There's nothing better than The Edge's electric guitar during the choruses, while Bono plays acoustic guitar.

I agree about the remixed version; absolutely horrible....what were they thinking?

but I think this tune has had its day; it'll not see the live stage anymore, acoustic or otherwise.

I'm pretty sure that I agree with JOFO on all counts. I don't think that I really need to hear the song live, any more; it's run its course quite admirably, full-band and otherwise.

And, yeah--the remix was fucking atrocious. What a terrible, terrible version of a wonderful song...

Discotheque was released as the first single because well ahead of the release of the album the "prediction" was that techno would be the popular wave of music in 1997. Discotheque was planned as the single as a result, it was also one of the first songs they actually completed way ahead of schedule. It wasnt to shock people, it was done and they thought it would either kick off or fit right in with the scene. The Fly was a single to shock people. Discotheque didnt shock anyone that I knew, in fact it was about what was expected from them at the time.

Regarding Staring At The Sun. The song never worked well as a full band electric version live. They simply could not get the timing down. They played it up until the DC 97 show I believe and gave up. I saw them play it 3 times, twice they had to start over and the third time they got through it but it was really ragged. I actually dont think it would have made a good first single personally. It didnt make a very good 2nd one so I dont think it would have made any difference. POP wasnt really an album of singles anyway for me. The media was ready to tear U2 apart in 97 because they had been UP for so long. So POP was perceived as mediocre and the critics and media pounced. I dont think Staring At The Sun as the first single would have changed that at all.

We've discussed this before in other threads, but I don't think SATS would have been a good 1st single either. While the song isn't bad, it's not up there with U2's famous ballads. As the least inventive song on POP, it always stuck out a bit to me.

The better second single would probably have been Last Night on Earth. I think it would have emphasized that despite the dabbling with samples and loops, the album still rocks, and perhaps it may have convinced people to buy it who hadn't already.

But as said above, POP isn't a traditional singles album. Perhaps it would have been easier to market 2 years later; who knows?

While Staring at the Sun may never have had its moment to shine, you can say the same of ALL of Zooropa when it comes to the United States. With the exception of the watered-down version of Stay on the last tour, this album has been criminally ignored. Granted, I'm not expecting to hear most of it live, but Lemon is certainly doable (it was FANTASTIC on the Sydney video), as is full-band Stay, Dirty Day, a Bono-sung Wanderer, and Some Days would be a nice little treat as well.

From POP I'd really like to hear Discotheque come back. Gone is a great song but we heard it a lot on Elevation and a change-up would be nice. If Wake Up Dead Man doesn't relate thematically to Bob Hewson I don't know what does. We NEED to hear this full-band.

laz

it is a shame that they couldn't get the song down as a full electric set. at my show too they had to restart it. i mean it was all right, but i didn't see them at vegas, they'd already played several shows and should've had the timing down right, etc.

it is a great song. that whole album is such a summer album for me, particularly staring and last night.

I personally don't think there's much difference between the POP and "Best Of..." version....atleast not so much so that you could call it "atrocious," "bastardized," and "a nightmare on wheels" :scratch:

I prefer the Best Of version...much more audible bass and I like the harmonized vocals in the chorus. It's the way band wanted it originally - that's why Edge and Bono harmonized during concerts.

-Miggy D

I love the album version but I actually prefer the acoustic version, I mean it's beautiful! That version from Mexico City, is amazing with Bono's little Spanish intro on his guitar! And that amazing middle part! I would love however to see them performing that song the way it was intended some day! :up: I HATE the Best Of version, completely unnecessary remix. :grumpy:

TheBrazilianFly said:
I would love however to see them performing that song the way it was intended some day!

Since the Best Of version was sanctioned/remixed by the band, it is the version they intended. I don't really understand why people hate the new version so much...it's honestly not that different. What's the hatred for?

"I hate the fact that Adam's bass is more prominent!"

"I hate the fact that Bono and Edge sing together on the chorus! I hate it, hate it, hate it!"

As Bono would say, "Where is the love?"

-Miggy D

The live version is the best one out there. Their live performance from Rotterdam (available on the Please single) is the premiere version. Perfection.

-Miggy

I think they should have put out Do You Feel Loved as a single instead of Last Night On Earth but its all a mute point now.

SATS is the only song from POP I ever heard on any of my local radio stations back in 97-98. It may have helped to have it as the first single. I don't have a problem with either version. I do think Discotheque, its silly lyrics, and the stupid video coming out first hurt POP's image to many in the US.

i thought the purpose of releasing Discotheque is that first single was the same when they released The Fly 1st off AB...

remember, The Fly was supposed to be some radical movement away from the 80s U2 sound [cutting down the tree] and in the process, shaking off some of the bandwagon fans

i felt they were going for the same sort of shock value with discotheque...then go back to releasing your more standard U2 sounding singles

I'mstillrunning said:
i thought the purpose of releasing Discotheque is that first single was the same when they released The Fly 1st off AB...

remember, The Fly was supposed to be some radical movement away from the 80s U2 sound [cutting down the tree] and in the process, shaking off some of the bandwagon fans

i felt they were going for the same sort of shock value with discotheque...then go back to releasing your more standard U2 sounding singles

But the big difference was, The Fly was COOL while Discotheque was taken more as stupid and dorky (to a lot of people) It was the Village People thing that really did it in, from what I saw. The fucking Boomcha's were absolutely cringeworthy. I was so embarrassed for them. Though it may be loved a lot by some of you here, you have to realize this was joked on badly by average people, even some U2 fans, and it did serious damage to their image. It was a miscalculation.

Last edited:
I think SATS is a good song, but it's not really one of my favorite songs from the album--that would have to be "Gone" and "LNOE".

Miggy D said:

Since the Best Of version was sanctioned/remixed by the band, it is the version they intended. I don't really understand why people hate the new version so much...it's honestly not that different. What's the hatred for?

"I hate the fact that Bono and Edge sing together on the chorus! I hate it, hate it, hate it!"

-Miggy D

here's me listening to the remix::| :yawn: :tsk:

U2Kitten said:

But the big difference was, The Fly was COOL while Discotheque was taken more as stupid and dorky (to a lot of people) It was the Village People thing that really did it in, from what I saw. The fucking Boomcha's were absolutely cringeworthy. I was so embarrassed for them. Though it may be loved a lot by some of you here, you have to realize this was joked on badly by average people, even some U2 fans, and it did serious damage to their image. It was a miscalculation.

I don't know if you can really feel embarrassed for people that are clearly taking the piss anyway. They knew they were doing high camp, even if Larry looked a little uncomfortable during the dance--he eventually smirks on camera. The scene where Edge dances while Bono nods in approval is one of the funniest things I've ever seen, as is Edge with the breath spray.

I think this attitude and reaction to the song and video says more about people's inability to see different sides of their idols more than anything else, which is really sad. We also know that it was much more successful outside the U.S. The truly awful video from POP was Staring at the Sun, which had no artistic merit whatsoever. Just closeups of the band with cheesy volcanic effects. Totally worthless unless you watch U2 videos to admire how hot Bono is.

laz

I liked the live version, IMO one of U2's finest acoustic songs.

I liked the album version.

I also liked the Best of remix. More so than the album version.

The one song that had a really good video from POP, too.

Last edited:
Miggy D said:

-Miggy D

:eyebrow:

Love is dead. I killed it so get used to it!

RickFly said:
i heard them play the full band versioin in c columbus ohio during the popmart tour. it was truly amazing. i wish theyd go back to during the full band version as well.

I must have been at a different Columbus show then because it was RAGGED. They barely even got through it. It was one of the better full electric versions they did on the tour but that isnt saying much. At the end Bono looked over at Edge and shook his head NO and then said "Acoustic version next time, maybe?".

Regarding Discotheque there was nothing radical about it. It was put out to try to fit in with what they thought the scene would be or possibly to kick off that scene in N. America. It was a miscalculation and they paid for it. Discotheque is no radical departure from Achtung or Zooropa, its a bit different, but not radically different. Compare The Fly to anything on Rattle And Hum and Joshua Tree, there isnt anything that is even close (maybe God Part II a little). The Fly WAS a radical departure at the time. Discotheque was not.

Indeed. mofo would have been a radical departure.

the remix of SATS is pretty crap. unfortunate. But actually most people I know who didn't like Pop quite like Staring at le Sun.

Back
Top Bottom