The tragic demise of "Staring at the Sun" - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2004, 07:36 PM   #1
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:03 AM
The tragic demise of "Staring at the Sun"

I am sure after completing the POP sessions, the boys and Paul McGuiness thougt this song was going to be a huge hit. When I first heard this song, I was like " This song is going to be absolutely amazing live"

But then..........

Discotheque was released first instead of SATS. Mind you this is very debatable. I myself didnt care since I loved POP, but releasing SATS first may have bettered the fortunes of this album.

then.....

I hear reports that the song bombed live early in the tour (las vegas etc ). That they had a faux start, etc. and had to start playing the song acoustic, which was nice (live from rotterdam eg.) but I think it deserves an all out electric version every night.

then......

The song is BASTARDIZED and remixed for the 2nd best of album. That version is horrible and completely deflates the true feeling that was created in the original sessions. You cant fix art folks, its perfect once created.

Enough of my ranting.

Old 12-11-2004, 07:52 PM   #2
Refugee

Bloody great song as is on POP. No question!

Old 12-11-2004, 07:56 PM   #3
War Child

Local Time: 09:03 PM
It's my favorite song off of Pop. They released Discotheque to shock people; show how different U2 have reinvented themselves again.

I definitely second a live, full-on band rendition of this song. There's nothing better than The Edge's electric guitar during the choruses, while Bono plays acoustic guitar.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:10 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I agree about the remixed version; absolutely horrible....what were they thinking?

but I think this tune has had its day; it'll not see the live stage anymore, acoustic or otherwise.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:14 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:03 PM
I'm pretty sure that I agree with JOFO on all counts. I don't think that I really need to hear the song live, any more; it's run its course quite admirably, full-band and otherwise.

And, yeah--the remix was fucking atrocious. What a terrible, terrible version of a wonderful song...
Old 12-11-2004, 08:15 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:03 PM
Re: The tragic demise of "Staring at the Sun"

Quote:
Originally posted by snutes1
You cant fix art folks, its perfect once created.

Oh dear God, would someone please pull this poster back to the shallow end of the pool. I am afraid they will hurt themselves.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:09 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Discotheque was released as the first single because well ahead of the release of the album the "prediction" was that techno would be the popular wave of music in 1997. Discotheque was planned as the single as a result, it was also one of the first songs they actually completed way ahead of schedule. It wasnt to shock people, it was done and they thought it would either kick off or fit right in with the scene. The Fly was a single to shock people. Discotheque didnt shock anyone that I knew, in fact it was about what was expected from them at the time.

Regarding Staring At The Sun. The song never worked well as a full band electric version live. They simply could not get the timing down. They played it up until the DC 97 show I believe and gave up. I saw them play it 3 times, twice they had to start over and the third time they got through it but it was really ragged. I actually dont think it would have made a good first single personally. It didnt make a very good 2nd one so I dont think it would have made any difference. POP wasnt really an album of singles anyway for me. The media was ready to tear U2 apart in 97 because they had been UP for so long. So POP was perceived as mediocre and the critics and media pounced. I dont think Staring At The Sun as the first single would have changed that at all.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:11 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

The remix is a nightmare on wheels.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:26 PM   #9
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:03 PM
We've discussed this before in other threads, but I don't think SATS would have been a good 1st single either. While the song isn't bad, it's not up there with U2's famous ballads. As the least inventive song on POP, it always stuck out a bit to me.

The better second single would probably have been Last Night on Earth. I think it would have emphasized that despite the dabbling with samples and loops, the album still rocks, and perhaps it may have convinced people to buy it who hadn't already.

But as said above, POP isn't a traditional singles album. Perhaps it would have been easier to market 2 years later; who knows?

While Staring at the Sun may never have had its moment to shine, you can say the same of ALL of Zooropa when it comes to the United States. With the exception of the watered-down version of Stay on the last tour, this album has been criminally ignored. Granted, I'm not expecting to hear most of it live, but Lemon is certainly doable (it was FANTASTIC on the Sydney video), as is full-band Stay, Dirty Day, a Bono-sung Wanderer, and Some Days would be a nice little treat as well.

From POP I'd really like to hear Discotheque come back. Gone is a great song but we heard it a lot on Elevation and a change-up would be nice. If Wake Up Dead Man doesn't relate thematically to Bob Hewson I don't know what does. We NEED to hear this full-band.

laz
Old 12-11-2004, 09:27 PM   #10
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

it is a shame that they couldn't get the song down as a full electric set. at my show too they had to restart it. i mean it was all right, but i didn't see them at vegas, they'd already played several shows and should've had the timing down right, etc.

it is a great song. that whole album is such a summer album for me, particularly staring and last night.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:40 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I personally don't think there's much difference between the POP and "Best Of..." version....atleast not so much so that you could call it "atrocious," "bastardized," and "a nightmare on wheels"
Old 12-11-2004, 11:29 PM   #12
War Child

I prefer the Best Of version...much more audible bass and I like the harmonized vocals in the chorus. It's the way band wanted it originally - that's why Edge and Bono harmonized during concerts.

-Miggy D
Old 12-11-2004, 11:48 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:03 AM
I love the album version but I actually prefer the acoustic version, I mean it's beautiful! That version from Mexico City, is amazing with Bono's little Spanish intro on his guitar! And that amazing middle part! I would love however to see them performing that song the way it was intended some day! I HATE the Best Of version, completely unnecessary remix.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:16 AM   #14
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBrazilianFly
I would love however to see them performing that song the way it was intended some day!
Since the Best Of version was sanctioned/remixed by the band, it is the version they intended. I don't really understand why people hate the new version so much...it's honestly not that different. What's the hatred for?

"I hate the fact that Adam's bass is more prominent!"

"I hate the fact that Bono and Edge sing together on the chorus! I hate it, hate it, hate it!"

As Bono would say, "Where is the love?"

-Miggy D
Old 12-12-2004, 12:36 AM   #15
Acrobat

Best Of version = MUCH better than Pop version. end of story.