The top performances of Please - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2007, 11:17 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 12:37 AM
The top performances of Please

what are regarded as the top performances of Please? the really raw, emotional ones?

Old 09-03-2007, 11:45 AM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:37 AM
18 July 1997, Rotterdam, Netherlands

As released on the Popheart EP (and also available on the Popmart DVD from next week onwards)

Old 09-03-2007, 11:49 AM   #3
War Child

Rotterdam 97 is probably the definitive performance IMO

Sarajevo 97 is very primal and desperate, Bono really going for it at the end despite his vocal problems

MTV awards performance is great, Bono's voice is slightly ragged but it has some really unusual touches

Santiago 98 Incredible, whether by accident or design the outra seems extended, really cranking up the drama.

Never heard the one full band version of Please on Elevation though, despite numerous attempts to download it from U2start.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:04 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:37 PM
Santiago and Buenos Aires had a bit longer outro, similar to Mexico City, but with better vocals.

Rotterdam is probably the best based on Bono's voice.

1. Rotterdam
2. Buenos Aires
3. Santiago
4. MTV
5. Mexico City

Of the five I heard.

Please live is one of the top three things U2 has ever done, along with The Fly live and UTEOTW live.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:27 PM   #5
War Child

Local Time: 04:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn
18 July 1997, Rotterdam, Netherlands

As released on the Popheart EP (and also available on the Popmart DVD from next week onwards)

Totally agree with that , not just because I was at that show

Also on the 2nd night of Rotterdam Please sounded great.
But nowhere near as good as the previous night.

Cheers ,

Mauwer
Old 09-03-2007, 02:14 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Mauwer
Totally agree with that , not just because I was at that show
You weren't the only one.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:23 PM   #7
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:37 AM
There is only one asnwer: Rotterdam

The one from Finland on the Best Of 90-00 bonus dvd disc is a realy good one.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:44 PM   #8
Refugee

Rotterdam is fine, because you have it on official cd, too - but regarding the emotion, the performance there is one rule: The later in the Europran leg, the better. And I do speak from late August '97 on. One of 'my' best versions was definetly the one from Reggio Emilia, when the band performed in front of 170000 (plus x) enthusastic Italian fans on September 20th. A great, great version with a long, monumental outro.
If you prefer everything naked, what is in that song, just listen to the perfect acoustic version (and a "please shut up" to all those people here, who do bitch around U2 playing acoustic versions –*they obviously don't have any idea about music or artists trying to re-arrange their songs...) the band played in 2001, especially on the last night in Miami. The ghosts of September 11 did haunt the arenas back then – one of the most intense moments I did witness in U2's live work.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:14 PM   #9
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Peterrrrr

I agree.... both r good versions.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:37 PM
MTV VMA's back in 97 was pretty darn good, because w/o out the giant screen, lemon, olive, etc...they just came in and fucking rocked and left...it came across so well on live tv it was great.

I would have to say that seeing it live in st louis later that year was pretty special too. And of course the Rotterdam clip was amazing as well.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:49 PM   #11
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:37 PM
The best live version of Please is undoubtedly the Sarajevo performance. Nothing else comes close.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-04-2007, 05:12 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

Wow Peter, that is a great choice! For me, Please live from Rotterdam is simply brilliant and Bono's voice suits this song so well!
Old 09-04-2007, 02:16 PM   #13
The Fly

Quote:

Yes i have to agree with this, Rotterdam is probably the definative version of this song, It's brilliant that were getting it on DVD to!!

Also that performance from Finland is excellent to, i suggest that anyone who likes the song "Please", go and get yourself a copy of the best of 1990-2000 bonus dvd because it really is that good!

I also like the version from Las Vegas to, it's very different at the end to what it is later on in the tour but i like it.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:45 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Elevation Miami:

damn youtube... no Santiago Please
Old 09-04-2007, 02:47 PM   #15
New Yorker

I'll throw in the Elevation (Baltimore, I think).... version that starts off acoustic and builds up.... wow.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:03 AM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 08:37 AM
Finland version is great on best of 90-00 bonus DVD.

They should release the whole 1997 Finland gig as DVD. Footage is out there somewhere in their vaults.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:07 AM   #17
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:37 PM
I honestly don't get the praise for the Rotterdam Please. It doesn't stand out at all to me.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-05-2007, 09:21 AM   #18
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
I honestly don't get the praise for the Rotterdam Please. It doesn't stand out at all to me.
Well I think Bono's vocal performance is very good, it has to be one of his best nights for that particular tour, his voice sounded younger, more energetic and the high notes don't really pose a problem for him. I could be wrong but I think this was the only show where he sang the 'Love Is Big, is bigger than us' lines without Edges help, normally they harmonised but decided against it for this particular version.

Although the outro isn't one of the more lengthy ones from the tour, I think it is one of the best, plus the band play it so well, especially Edge, whose guitar seems to climb higher at the end, building it to a bigger climax. Its a great effect and again I don't think he did it at any other shows, it was just for this version.

Bono falsetto's like it was Zoo TV again at the end too and there is something very haunting and moving about the way he did it that particular night. Yeah he did it great elsewhere as well but for me there's a melancholy there with all those strange sound effects going on around him, plus the segue into Streets is impeccable.

I love, MTV and Sarajevo and several others but Rotterdam is the defintive performance IMO.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:54 PM   #19
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
100% agreed – as I pointed out above. But there might be some people here, who do love the Rotterdam version, 'cause they actually were in the gig, ey?
Old 09-14-2007, 07:06 PM   #20
The Fly

I think both Rotterdam Shows were great, I absolutely love that version (Yes, ok, I as there). But one of the best aspects in those shows is that they were the first shows for the 2nd leg. Coming from the US, after al the criticism, the lacklustre performances early on, attendance lower than expected.. they came to Europe to change things around.. and on those 2 nights they did, which in my opinion gave them a good vibe to go on and perform such memorable shows later on in the tour.
So in a way it was kind of a turning point, and that made the shows emotionally-laden.
(well at least it felt that way to me back then).

Oh and Please VMA is wonderful.. much more subdued.. very cool!