The thing that was the start of the slippery slope...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The so-call "coke" riff is the riff he used in Beautiful Day. It sort of represents Edge's return to his "old" 80's style of playing. Not processed and definitely sounds like a guitar.

I don't see any problem with it personally.

Reggie Thee Dog said:

Please explain to me how they are becoming like Bon Jovi? I'd like to hear this.:eyebrow:

I was quoting someone else that said about Bon Jovi and how can 100,000 whatever be wrong in an earlier post. The Bon Jovi comparision for me is that U2 are making music that is exactly what any non U2 fan would say U2 sound like. Oh yeah thats U2 sounds like them and that is my meaning by the Bon Jovi reference. They made Slippery When Wet, have never changed their sound, make the same album over and over again, make the same sickly ballads over and over again. The last 2 albums have been very similar for U2 and they are becoming a band that are making the same sounding music over and over. Thats my point by comparing to crap like Bon Jovi.

rjhbonovox said:
The last 2 albums have been very similar for U2 and they are becoming a band that are making the same sounding music over and over.

Yeah, LAPOE sounds EXACTLY like some tunes on ATYCLB, COBL sounds like the whole final four mashed together, and I can't believe how Fast Cars sounds like Grace with different lyrics ...

Axver said:

Yeah, LAPOE sounds EXACTLY like some tunes on ATYCLB, COBL sounds like the whole final four mashed together, and I can't believe how Fast Cars sounds like Grace with different lyrics ...

Fast cars and Grace uncanny in their likeness

BrownEyedBoy said:
I still don't get what the hell a coke riff is. :reject:

Where the hell does the term "coke" come from anyway?:madspit:

I think Bono came up with the term, IIRC, to refer to Edge's guitar in Beautiful Day. It's a "classic" riff - the analogy referring to Coke switching their formula (New Coke) and then returning to the original "classic" formula.

"Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and most of them stink."
-Edward Jurewich

Axver said:

Yeah Love and Peace Or Else, which I have already said previously, is the only track that has a different feel to it, and its a great song. Fast Cars is decent and would have been a great b-side, not that great an album track, they should have included xanax and wine intead but thats a different story. COBL is bland with the coke riff at the start(can you not hear it?) and tries tooooo hard to be like where the streets, which is what they were trying to achieve.

Come on you pick out a couple of songs, my point is the whole album has the same or similar feel to it, with the overuse of the coke riff, chiming 80's sounding guitar that the last album had.

Also while I'm on about The Edges "trademark" riff, where has his other guitar sounds gone, and I mean like the use of feedback, wah wah, fuzz and distortion. I mean its nearly all clean and chimey except for Love and Peace Or Else. Makes Bono's comments about the Edge doing extraordinary things with the guiatr sound ridiculous.

Last edited:
rjhbonovox said:

I was quoting someone else that said about Bon Jovi and how can 100,000 whatever be wrong in an earlier post. The Bon Jovi comparision for me is that U2 are making music that is exactly what any non U2 fan would say U2 sound like. Oh yeah thats U2 sounds like them and that is my meaning by the Bon Jovi reference. They made Slippery When Wet, have never changed their sound, make the same album over and over again, make the same sickly ballads over and over again. The last 2 albums have been very similar for U2 and they are becoming a band that are making the same sounding music over and over. Thats my point by comparing to crap like Bon Jovi.

See, you're missing the point. The problem with Bon Jovi isn't that they are repeating themselves. The problem with Bon Jovi is that they suck. They sucked in 1987 and they sucked in 1997. I'm sure that they'll still suck in 2007.

There are actually talented artists out there that don't reinvent themselves with each album. A prime example that many U2 fans are familiar with is BB King. BB always sounds like BB. His guitar sound is immediately familiar and hasn't changed all that much over the years. That's not to say that he hasn't improved and evolved as a guitarist over the years. He has.
Eric Clapton is another example. Clapton sounds like...Clapton.

U2 set themselves up with their reinventions over the years. After a while the fans expect every album and guitar treatment to sound radically different than the previous album--an impossible standard. U2 have made three or four albums that sound similar to each other IN SOME WAYS. BB King has made about 40 of them. And no one accuses BB of being a sell-out. Even when he films Burger King commercials even though he's a diabetic.

Matthew_Page2000 said:

See, you're missing the point. The problem with Bon Jovi isn't that they are repeating themselves. The problem with Bon Jovi is that they suck. They sucked in 1987 and they sucked in 1997. I'm sure that they'll still suck in 2007.

There are actually talented artists out there that don't reinvent themselves with each album. A prime example that many U2 fans are familiar with is BB King. BB always sounds like BB. His guitar sound is immediately familiar and hasn't changed all that much over the years. That's not to say that he hasn't improved and evolved as a guitarist over the years. He has.
Eric Clapton is another example. Clapton sounds like...Clapton.

U2 set themselves up with their reinventions over the years. After a while the fans expect every album and guitar treatment to sound radically different than the previous album--an impossible standard. U2 have made three or four albums that sound similar to each other IN SOME WAYS. BB King has made about 40 of them. And no one accuses BB of being a sell-out. Even when he films Burger King commercials even though he's a diabetic.

I will accept your point that to "sound radically different than the previous album--is an impossible standard" is correct. But damn don't like your comparisions with Eric Clapton, cos by god he is damn bland. Is music is mind numblingly boring since the end of the 70's and BB King is a decent blues guitarist but not one of my favorite musicians and certainly his music doesn't interest me, and yes I think he sounds all the same.

Maybe the case that U2 have been around too long and thats why their music is no longer as exciting as it was 7 years ago, to me that is.

I don't think Vertigo sounds like anything on the previous album, and its a while since they made such a rocking song...(it only sounds like Elevation in a little bit of the guitar, but really the two songs are very different) Also, where on the last album did they do a '60s stomp-rock tune? (All Because Of You)

Sleep Over Jack said:
Also, where on the last album did they do a '60s stomp-rock tune? (All Because Of You)

Thats Desire isn't it but a bit more heavier. Now if they had left the drum track and vocal like the original from a year ago then you may be talking a different song.

The only reason the slippery slope exists is because people create it. As far as i'm concerned, there is no real slippery slope - they're still topping the charts worldwide in album and single sales and still touring worldwide sellout tours.
Every artist emulates themself at some point. Man, just look at Franz Ferdinand - that album is wicked, but ultimately, all the songs sound pretty similar, but like I said, that doesn't make it a bad record. All this, and they're only one album into their career. U2 have over ten studio albums behind them, so it's inevitible.

Nevertheless, I completely respect your opinion :)

rjhbonovox said:

Thats Desire isn't it but a bit more heavier. Now if they had left the drum track and vocal like the original from a year ago then you may be talking a different song.

I'm talking in relation to ATYCLB, and you seem to regard the new one as ATYCLB II..Idon't recall a song remotley like ABOY on ATYCLB...besides I don't think U2 explored that classic rock sound enough on Rattle And Hum, so I think its ok and quite interesting to re-visit that sound somewhat.

Vertigo, LAPOE, ABOY, Fast Cars, City Of Blinding Lights, there were no songs like this on ATYCLB...even Original Of The Species, SYCMIOYO seem more ambitious and fluid than the ballads of the last album.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom