The Sweetest Thing...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It originally appeared as a B-side on the Where The Streets Have No Name single.
In 1998 it was re-recorded for The Best Of 1980-1990.
The original version was included on the B-Sides disc of that compilation.

:)

which are more frightening? casual u2 fans who most often have dodgy taste in music, or hardcore u2 fans who are often dodgy themselves?

The original B-side is so much better than the polished single, I think. I love the raw feeling to the B-side. And those "do do dos" in the single just make me cringe.

I don't know if this is really true, but I read somewhere that when they were deciding what songs to put on JT and Edge was pushing to get Trip Through your Wires included, Bono said something along the lines of, "trip doesn't make sense without ST" which was apparently already excluded.

Anyone know any more about it than that? Such as why these songs would be heard as complimentary or a counter-point to each other?

^

Yes.
Or something like he was supposed to go home on her birthday but got stuck in the recording studio. Either one of those stories.

I always include the Single Version in my ATYCLB playlists and rarely listen to the b-side version

I wish they wouldn't have used it as a b-side and used it on ATYCLB, it sounds better there IMO

OnFire said:
I don't know if this is really true, but I read somewhere that when they were deciding what songs to put on JT and Edge was pushing to get Trip Through your Wires included, Bono said something along the lines of, "trip doesn't make sense without ST" which was apparently already excluded.

Anyone know any more about it than that? Such as why these songs would be heard as complimentary or a counter-point to each other?

I've never heard that, but it sounds like a very twisted version of a Bono quote where he says WOWY doesn't really make sense without its b-sides, Luminous Times and Walk To The Water.

As far as the tracklisting of JT goes, the story I know states Bono was pushing for it to be more "American" while Edge was trying to bring it back to be more "U2" (which would mean Bono would've pushed for TTYW).

Yeah, that's part of it, here's the rest:

The following excerpt is from from Hot Press, December, 1987, from an article by Bill Graham with an interview with Edge and Bono:

[Edge:] "... For instance, we disagreed vehemently about what songs should go on the album. If Bono had his way, 'The Joshua Tree' would have been more American and bluesy, and I was trying to pull it back."

That compromise led to the later flood of new B-side tracks. Bono will argue that "the album is almost incomplete. 'With or Without You' doesn't really make sense without 'Walk to the Water' or 'Luminous Times'. And 'Trip Through Your Wires' doesn't make that much sense without 'Sweetest Thing.'

Back
Top Bottom