The sweetest kitten!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Niceman said:

Even more interresting is that these are 19 OTHER demos....other as opposed to WHAT U2 demos?????????

The pre-Boy ones, War ones, Be There, Wild Irish Rose, JT 30 second snippets, Axtung Beibi ...

Utoo said:
More drama:

Someone on another U2 site posted this song & claimed they ripped the audio from the youtube video. However, the mp3 had the following tags on it:

Artist: U2 - Other Studio Sessions/Demos

Album: 19 Other Demos

Here's the thing: When you rip audio from youtube, the mp3 shouldn't have any tags on it. So now there are questions about both the source that posted on youtube as well as the source that posted this mp3.

But besides that....The titles of those tags are pretty darn interesting. The fact that this says '19' has led some to believe that this version is some sort of hidden bonus on U2:18. I kind of disagree with that, as it says "19 Other Demos," which the other 18 non-hidden tracks are not.

But if there really are 18 other demos, perhaps all of this same mysterious, unreleased origin.......that could be pretty damn interesting....:ohmy:

ehm, so he ripped it and then filled in the tags?

I know that's the first thing i do when i rip/record/download a new mp3.

I would have done it too, it's just that i spent 2 hours trying to rip the audio (which was quite frustrating), so when i finally got a wav file i couldn't be bothered anymore to encode it to mp3...

And i also number my u2 collection:
u2numbers.jpg

so maybe people are reading a bit too much in that number?

No way that this track is even remotely related with U218!

But yeah, maybe it has been floating around on the net for a while, who knows...

Axver said:

The pre-Boy ones, War ones, Be There, Wild Irish Rose, JT 30 second snippets, Axtung Beibi ...

MAYBE....maybe not..... I wasn't suggesting that there had never been demos.....just asking what was being referenced....

u2boy_nl, I agree---I also think he probably just filled the tags in himself. I'm just saying that there's a bit more mystery added to the pot.

When a previously unknown track from a 20-year-old recording session---for The Joshua Tree, of all things!---gets put out there, people are very likely to look at a cigar as more than just a cigar. I don't mind terribly...it kind of adds to the fun of it.

As a side note...one thing that I do mind..... I think it's all good when people add their own tags and organize their collections in their own personal way. But I think it's a bitch when that stuff gets traded and shared and now there are a million different "versions" of the same thing (i.e., titles for the Axtung Beibi Outtakes). It can make collecting hard. :getsoffsoapbox:

I can't help but be reminded of the guy who brought us the 30 second demo's. If this guy was in the studios when The Joshua Tree was just beginning then could the other 18 tracks be early takes of songs that the band opened the sessions playing? :eyebrow: Why would a guy with this kind of connection not have some of those songs and if he did wouldn't he put them in the same folder?

FREE THE JOSHUA TREE DEMOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The possibility of full length ones coming out is exciting though unlikely. :sad: :wink:

At the end of the kitten video, there are names listed in the credits. Some are obvious (Bono and Larry), but others are not, like on the piano (at least I didn't recognize the name). Could this person have dubbed in some of the music or could he recall the name of the persons doing this work from 20 years ago?

doctorwho said:
At the end of the kitten video, there are names listed in the credits. Some are obvious (Bono and Larry), but others are not, like on the piano (at least I didn't recognize the name). Could this person have dubbed in some of the music or could he recall the name of the persons doing this work from 20 years ago?

Here are a few things about the people listed that folks on another message board found:

well, the Jeremy Wilson listed at the end credits did work for Amek back then read more here. I love internet research lol

It even mentions U2 in the article

http://www.audiojuice.com/info/aboutjem/aboutjem.html

Pat McCarthy assisted in engineering on the JT, just look in your booklets cuz I know everyone here owns it.

While Steve Rainford worked on the U2 crew for the Unforgettable Fire, also in the liner notes on there.

If you look at the credits at the end of the video, you see the Jeremy Wilson guy who did in fact appear to work for Amek, as the YouTube poster claimed. The credits also say that the video is by a Robin Wilson---my guess, the Jeremy guy's wife or daughter. So, that seems to show who it is who posted this on YouTube.

As for the rest of the people, it looks like the music for this take was done by everyone in the studio but Edge, Larry & Adam.

shaun vox said:
wow bono use to have a great voice!!
oh how the days go by!!

I don't know Shaun... I just listened to this demo again and then a recent "City of Blinding Lights" live version - and I gotta say Bono is FAR superior in the CoBL live song than this demo. No screaming, yet high notes hit clearly.

IMO, Bono has always been a good singer - one of the best in rock. And I personally like his voice over other greats (like Mercury). But Mercury is clearly a better singer. Still Bono, can belt them out. He had a weak point in the second half of the 90's, but he appears back and even better than some of his supposed "great vocal" eras.

i'm having probs downloading the audio - could anyone who has it stick it in a you send it for me PLEEEEEEASE!!!

A day later and I'm still loving this version. I don't know why.

This to me shows the pros and cons of coming across unreleased material. Just like "She's gonna blow your house down" from the Achtung Beibi Outtakes, this version of the Sweetest Thing is a good and bad thing for me and probably others as well.

The good is that we get to hear new material or another version of a released song. It's also a peek inside the band's songwriting process.

The bad is when you hear something so good, you're like "WTF?!, why didn't they release this instead of that? This is so much better!"

Dudette said:
If thats the guy in the video. His hands don't look 40 years old.

The credits say video by Robin Wilson. Jeff Wilson is listed as something like 'extra vocals,' I think. He's the guy who says he was the engineer involved. My guess that Robin is either his wife or daughter.

I finally listened to this today, on headphones. The kittens are great, and the song......? Amazing. I really wish U2 would do an album of fresh, unfinished sketches with hardly any production. This is where they can be at their most magical. It's when they let loose and capture the moment. I mean, just listen to Bono capturing the joy of this song. It's a soul song here, and there's no overthinking, no tightening (or sqeezing) the essence out. It just....oozes. Sometimes, a natural jam session with nothing but a voice and an instrument can be as warm as a full band orchestra and a church choir. The paradox of being sparse. I love it.

Sometimes I think their demo material is much superior to all album works

And even on their most praised ones , See this Sweetest thing , is such a gem

And look at Axtung Babe tapes ..... Wake Up , Acrobat , Early Real thing , All sounds better , than Achtung Baby itself

Back
Top Bottom