The "Surrender" Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prisz25

War Child
Surrender...

Awesome song I can't even put it into words it just puts a smile on my face when I hear it. It was an awesome opener in Under a Blood Red Sky! What a good song that sometimes goes un-noticed....

Show YOur Love for SURRENDER!!!!!!!!:drool:

Did you know it really wasn't the opener for that concert? "Out of Control" was. Why someone thought "Surrender" would be a better opener for the video is beyond me.

But I totally love the song, especially the live version.

love this song. third favorite on War album

great choice for song appreciation thread prisz25! :up:

My favorite song on War.

One weird thing, though: the guitar at the beginning always reminded me of the guitar at the beginning of "Pride." No one else seems to agree.

corianderstem said:
Did you know it really wasn't the opener for that concert? "Out of Control" was. Why someone thought "Surrender" would be a better opener for the video is beyond me.

I downloaded "Out of Control" off u2star, and I was like, wait a minute, isn't this how "Surrender" starts.

Hope they put all the songs they did for that concert on a DVD soon.

Have to say, after hearing it live off the Red Rocks video, I liked "Surrender" more.

Last edited:
I love this song.

I know this is probably stupid of me, but after hearing An Cat Dubh and The Ocean this year, I'm kind of thinking that there's the tiniest of chances that I might just get to hear this song get played again.

Last edited:
corianderstem said:
i long for the day the band actually releases a concert in its entirety.

corianderstem said:

I love the live version of Surrender.
I really really hope they release the concert in it's entirety too. Video's don't last forever.....

You know this song amazes me as being quite a brave departure for U2, in regards to collaborations? I mean, they had the female singers from KID CREOLE AND THE COCONUTS, FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!!!! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

corianderstem said:

But what did you think of it being an opener before you knew 'Out of Control' was the real one??

Anyway, my only guess is if you take a look at the first few songs from the full setlist:

Out of Control
Twilight
An Cat Dubh
Into The Heart
Surrender
Two Hearts
Seconds
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Electric Co.

That's four songs from their first album opening a concert/concert video, which at the end of the day is not only 'capturing the live experience blah blah blah' and so on, but promoting their third album. I see nothing wrong with any of the footage from the first four songs quality/performance-wise, and the three songs that follow [and made the video] are all 'War' tracks, so maybe it made a bit more sense to have them opening the video??

---

Ps. Surrender is awesome!! I love the guitar work on that, and just after the 'Gotta die to myself some day', the ascending noise the guitar makes just before the 'Whoa-oah-aheheh, etc.' is lovely! Can't get enough of the track. Shame my CD is now skipping and my LP player has temporarily bitten the dust...!

Last edited:
cleazer said:
I love this song.

I know this is probably stupid of me, but after hearing An Cat Dubh and The Ocean this year, I'm kind of thinking that there's the tiniest of chances that I might just get to hear this song get played again.

I would go crazy if they played this song! But it is definitley a LONG LONG shot..... Can you imagine "the city is bright ,it's brighter than day tonight!"Awesome song:yes:

I love this song! :drool:

"She got herself up on the 48th floor
Got to find out, find out what she's living for"

"The city's a fire, a passionate flame
That knows me by name"

Great lyrics, great tune.

That's four songs from their first album opening a concert/concert video, which at the end of the day is not only 'capturing the live experience blah blah blah' and so on, but promoting their third album.

That's a good way of looking at it; I hadn't thought of it that way before!

And yeah, "Surrender" works great as an opening song, I just like "Out of Control" more and was appalled they'd choose something else as the opening song on the video.

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom