The "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of" Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigMacPhisto

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Who else here thinks that this song is unfairly bashed? For me, it's one of my favorites from All That You Can't Leave Behind. It's got a great melody and some of my favorite U2 lyrics. I know I'm not in the minority here (the song did win a Grammy for cryin' out loud) when I say that it truly is a wonderful tune. I believe that many just hate the U.S. version of the "Stuck" music video (which I happen to find rather humorous and fun to watch) and thus hate the song as well.

So, join with me brothers and unite together in appreciation of this U2 classic.

BTW, this thread is not for "Stuck" haters. Go elsewhere if you want to do that. Because:

I'm not afraid
of anything in this world
There's nothing you can throw at me
That I haven't already heard

I :heart: Stuck in a Moment...

Great, great song! I remember walking around campus my freshman year here at college with that song on my headphones and thinking, "Yeah, I really AM!" I feel like Bono's singing to ME with this song!

Viva Stuck!

very good uplifting song , EDGe + Bono are great poets .
I really like the studio and acoustic version of the song . U2 should try it acoustic next tour .

:yes: :yes: :yes:

Wait, why didn't somebody tell me when Grammies became meaningful?

Anyway, a good song live, when it isn't drowned in overproduction. The acoustic version is, ironically, too stripped down, but at least they hit it right live.

(Actually, I just listened to it again, and it's just stripped down enough. Very nice.)

Last edited:
even though it didn't became the big hit some thought it would be IMO it is the most perfect song U2 has ever written (not my favourite one, but close)
just a gorgeous song with great lyrics

david said:
Great song, but damn, bad bad bad video. American version that is.

:yes: I really don't like the American version either! Except the guy with "Hewson" on the back of his jersey...:happy:

Now, the European version on the other hand...:drool: :drool: :drool:

Salome said:
even though it didn't became the big hit some thought it would be IMO it is the most perfect song U2 has ever written (not my favourite one, but close)
just a gorgeous song with great lyrics

I agree. Its such a clean and perfect song. Lyrically, its one of their best. and I love the contrast between the heaviness of the meaning behind stuck and the uplifting musical sense it portrays, i.e. the horns, and that guitar sound.

I have always liked this song, but I would never of ranked it very high when compared to the rest of All That... . Maybe 6th.

Then the acoustical version come out and I saw this song in a whole new light. It exposes U2's (well Bono and the Edge) shear talent. Armed with just a guitar, this song is truly beautiful.

Agreed!

Probably my favorite song from the album, along with IALW. Great lyrics, and beautiful melody.

I totally agree.....definitely is one of the first songs to go on a U2 mix.

I just love the first 10 seconds of it.

Also, the Irving Plaza show version of it was SO GOOD.

*runs off to listen again*

I love how Bono sings out, "Heeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyy" in the beginning in concert....

:yes: :bono:

I love this song! It's great both live and studio. I haven't yet heard the acoustic version though - I assume it's a b-side to the Stuck single?

A song with some really optimistic and uplifting lyrics and a great melody. I especially love the ending part with Edge singing the "And if the night runs over" part. Watch him close his eyes while singing it live on the Boston DVD to fathom the pure emotion of the song.

Just listened again...

Love this, "You've got to get yourself together"....love how he sings it!

Awww, I'm totally into the song again now! Thanks everyone!

:love:

:drool: :drool: Love this song! I cannot understand why some people are saying it should be left of the new Best Of! are you nuts??? Also I have sung this song at karaoke and sometimes as a duet with a female friend, she does the chorus and I sing the verses, it sounds like a kind of "reached the end of the road" in a man/woman relationship kind of song when you sing it as a duet, it works really well! lol

I really love this song too! The radio station I listen to sometimes plays Elevation DVD version and it's awesome to hear in the car cranked up!

i used to hate this song so much. i thought it was the worst. and then i heard those sweet guitar riffs in the background and i heard the lyrics and now its one of my faveorites. its amazing i never thought id actually like it.
but now im a believer

It's great to know that there's a lot of you out there that love this song. I was beginning to think that everyone was losing their faith in ATYCLB, but I guess those that really enjoy the album and "Stuck" are in the silent majority.

You know there are two songs that I hear kind of the same critisizms about. They are "Stuck" and "Staring At The Sun." People say they are boring and there could have been a lot more done to them to make them better. Well I was always torn between these two songs and wheather I would put them on a best of compilation. Today on U2.com they just happend to be streamed together. I listend to them both and I have to say "Stuck" is just an unbelievable song, Whenever I listen to songs from ATYCLB and songs from other U2 albums they just stand out, individualy. I still like songs like "Staring" but when you listen to it before "Stuck", "Stuck" just blows it out of the water.

The U2-7 version immortalised it in my mind, and for anybody I know who has heard it. I agree with whoever said they gotta do it acoustic next tour, that'd be sweet

Apart from being a gorgeous song, with a beautiful melody and honest lyrics, Stuck has played an important role in my life these past two years, so maybe I?m too biased. I?m very attached to this song.

I always liked this song, but it wasn't until I heard the Letterman version, that like turned to love. Something about the thick music turned me around on this song. Beautiful. I recommend it highly (the Letterman version I mean).

I agree with the Letterman appearance, both songs too, but mostly 'Stuck'. Everything about that perforance was perfect. Bono's voice sounded better that the recorded version of the song also.

BigMacPhisto said:
Who else here thinks that this song is unfairly bashed? For me, it's one of my favorites from All That You Can't Leave Behind. It's got a great melody and some of my favorite U2 lyrics. I know I'm not in the minority here (the song did win a Grammy for cryin' out loud) when I say that it truly is a wonderful tune. I believe that many just hate the U.S. version of the "Stuck" music video (which I happen to find rather humorous and fun to watch) and thus hate the song as well.

Unfairly bashed? You must be out of your mind. Just because a handful of people bash the song in this forum of 4,000 members (and this handful of people are just probably the same people using different monickers) doesn't mean it is unfairly bashed. There are millions of U2 fans and you should not let the opinions of a few lead you into thinking it is unfairly bashed. You can't expect everyone to like every U2 song, but based on the awards, sales, accolades, and commercial airplay of the song - I can guess that many other U2 songs are quite jealous of Stuck! And these songs are bashed more than Stuck.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Back
Top Bottom