The Stories Behind U2's Album Names

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobert16

The Fly
Being a relatively new U2 fan, I would be interested in finding out the stories/reasons behind the naming of each album. Like where did the inspiration for the title 'Achtung Baby' come from, and so on.

Additionally, I always find myself wondering why there is a picture of two bison on the cover of the Best of The 90s! Thanks for your thoughts and info!

typhoon said:
Why does Bono want to dismantle his dad?

He wants to disarm him so he can get along with him.

Once you dismantle a bomb, you can figure out how it works.

^ You're pretty good at avoiding your original comments.

I'm seeing a pattern.:shifty:

that was fun, next question please :hyper:

btw bobert16, "Achtung" is German for "Caution" (or is it Attention?). The AB recording sessions had its (rough) start in Berlin so there's that connection.

The bison on the cover of the Best of 90s may be found on the One video (Buffalo version 3).

"All That You Can't Leave Behind" is a lyric from Walk On. I don't know if thats where the album name came from or if the lyric came from the album name!

The Joshua Tree: i have no idea! But Joshua Tree's are a tree that only grows in the United States and a small part of Mexico - don't know if thats what it is about. Joshua Trees were also named after what settlers thought the trees looked like - Joshua praying to god. Joshua Trees also grow extremely slow... Someone should help me out too! I'd love to know where all the album names come from!

doubleU said:
^ You're pretty good at avoiding your original comments.
I didn't know you were waiting on me for gratification. You get a gold star. Seriously. Good answer.
doubleU said:
I'm seeing a pattern.:shifty:
What are you talking about specifically so I can address that as well?

typhoon said:

I didn't know you were waiting on me for gratification. You get a gold star. Seriously. Good answer.

typhoon said:

What are you talking about specifically so I can address that as well?

Oh, it's already closed. But I was trying to find the worth in calling everyone in the Grammy thread worthless.

The hit 1968 film THE PRODUCERS was the inspiration for the title of U2's album "Achtung Baby".
during recording sessions for Achtung Baby Joe O'Hereley U2s live-sound engineer attented the stage version or call it the musical version of The Producers at a theater in Berlin and came back into the Hansa Ton Studio greeting all with "ACHTUNG BABY"
that's the story behind...

Quotes from The Producers by Mel Br0oks:
...Max Bialystock drops him to the floor
Leo Bloom: Ooh, I fell on my keys!

Roger De Bris: Der Führer does not say, "Achtung, baby."

Franz Liebkind: Baby! Baby!... Why does he say this "baby"? The Führer has never said "baby". I did not write, "baby". What is it with this, "baby"?

Umm guys? How to dismantle an atomic bomb? Cancer. :(

The Unforgettable Fire refers to a painting done by a survivor of the nuclear bombing of japan

The Joshua Tree is a type of tree in the southwest USA which was a major inspiration for the making of that album.

Rattle & Hum is a lyric from Bullet The Blue Sky, and also the sounds of a tour

Achtung means Warning in German; The album was largley made there when the world was drastically changing. The Berlin wall had fallen, The Soviet Union was westernizing and the rest of Europe was uniting into one power. Watershed times. And U2 was saying, great! But lets just be careful about all this.

Zooropa - A name given to the second european leg of the Zoo TV tour. Zoo comes from Zoo Station, at the time of the album, the only rail station in West Berlin and also the only way to get to East Berlin. Zooropa became an eponymous term to mean the Achtung Baby industrial sound, fused with the then current sounds of european pop and r&b.

Passengers - Larry didn't want this to be a full U2 album so they choose this as the name of the band due to the amount of extra named muscians that took part in the project. They decided they would create a compilation of soundtracks to ficticious movies. And thus "Original Soundtracks".

Pop - Pop was named thusly because of the resurgence at the time of pop culture and pop music primarily. Remember this was 1997 and alternative though while dying, was still king in rock. Pop as an album was to be diverse as pop as a cultural entity; combinging disco, rock, techno, retro and r&b.

All That You Can't Leave Behind - If taken literraly from Walk On; it means to take everything that's important to you and leave it behind so it doesn't drag you down - everything materialistic, earthly. The goal is soul.

How to dismantle an atomic bomb - like the best U2 lyrics, or albums; even their own name; it has a double meaning. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb? Well given all the heart iconography surrounding the album, I'd have to say it's with love. And this seems relevent given the worlds current political climate. Now apparently Bono says that his father was an Atomic Bomb. How was he dismantled? Cancer. And the album is about the day after so to speak.

The Buffalo on the Best Of 2. To kill a lot of Buffalo at once, American Indians use to stampede them off a cliff. They got them all worked up and run to their unknowing death. A homosexual artist with aids created a paintin depicting this masacre and drew comparisons with the aids crisis. U2 made the painting the cover to the One single. They created animations of this painting and put them up on the screens of the Zoo TV tours and (I think; not sure) the Pop tours. It became one of the defining images of their ninties work.

Last edited:
typhoon said:
Which doesn't make any goddamn sense at all.

Obviously you have never had a relationship with someone very close that explodes all the time and leaves wounds and scars and basically slowly deconstructs your life. I can fully relate about a difficult relationship with a parent, even when I was a child I had never gotten along with my mother, we are at opposite ends. I do know like Bono what good and bad qualities I got from her. When I first heard Sometimes my first thought was I don't believe it someone else understands....lyrics like: we fight all the time, I'm sick of it all, if we weren't so alike you'd like me a whole lot more.....I got it! I know its hard for some to understand but try a little....please.

I somewhere read, that during recording "Achtung Baby" in Berlin they saw a sticker at the back of a car which said "AB", which means something like "Baby on Board" in german.
:huh: ???

Achtung does mean attention in german, not caution.

A Joshua Tree is an extremly hardy plant that grows in such a harsh environment, a metaphor for strength even in the toughest times.

I never thought HTDAAB was anything but political until last night, good story behind it.

One story I heard about The Joshua Tree in an interview with U2 way back when, was that U2 were in driving through Death Valley to do a photo shot with Anton Corbijn for the new album, for which they hadn't come up with a decent name for yet and were hoping to find some ideas, when Bono spotted these strange looking trees growing in the middle of the desert and he asked the driver did he know what they were called and he said "they're Joshua Trees" and Bono's eyes lit up and he looked at Edge and they nodded in agreement!:wink:

Joshua Tree also has a religious meaning. 'Joshua' translated from Greek is 'Jesus'. The tree would refer to the cross.

powerhour24 said:
Achtung does mean attention in german, not caution.

nope. Just pick up your nearest manual for an electrical device that is in english and german. The english side says either caution or warning and the german say achtung. Perhaps it means a mixture of both. But caution/warning is definately a component of the word.

Bono asked Michael W. Smith if he knew how to dismantle an atomic bomb. Smith said he didn't, and Bono replied, "Love." Love is something he wanted from his father but didn't receive until much later in life. But love eventually unlocked his father's heart, thus dismantling him.

Snowlock said:

nope. Just pick up your nearest manual for an electrical device that is in english and german. The english side says either caution or warning and the german say achtung. Perhaps it means a mixture of both. But caution/warning is definately a component of the word.

http://www.dict.cc/?s=Achtung

First entry - attention.

"How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" was also a lyric in "Fast Cars." It's something like

I'm going nowhere
Where I am, it is a lot of fun
There in the desert
To dismantle an atomic bomb

I watch you shadow box
Check the stocks, I'm in detox
Want a lot of what you got
What you got can make this stop

All I want is a picture of you
All I want is to get right next to you
All I want is your picture in a locket
Your face in my pocket
Take a pill to stop it
I know these fast cars will do me no good

sorry if i'm wrong. but that was my first initial impression of where they got the name from. but i don't doubt that Bono's father had something to do with it like he said last night.

Back
Top Bottom