The Stay Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coolian2

Blue Crack Supplier
Going through the 15 to 1 thread i can't help but notice how Stay keeps popping up.

There doesn't seem to be much of a consensus of why its so good, but it is good.

One of U2s dark horse songs, good and appreciated by a lot of people but also so easily out of mind (because it was on Zooropa).

So....appreciate.

Its one of U2's finest songs in every way. Great vocal, great guitar from The Edge. Beautiful, soaring, majestic track. It's damn near perfect. Just wish they would play it full band in concert, the acoustic just doesn't cut it for me.
It also has one of U2's greatest videos, Wim wenders is directing so of course it's great, he also did Night and Day, which is my other favourite U2 video.
It's also from a great film, Faraway, So Close. Go get it on DVD if you haven't already!
Stay is 10 out of 10 all the way for me!

One more reason to love the Stay single, is that it has IMO the greatest ever U2 remix as a b-side the Lemon Perfecto mix!

is the first U2's song that got me strung out on them. and haven't left the camp ever since :)

Stay is just perfect in every way. Most notably, however, is the intro part. I can repeat the song just to hear the intro. The lyrics are witty and, if I'm not mistaken, that Bono cited Stay when asked his fave U2's songs.

is the only U2 song that I listen to every single night as I put the repeat mode on so that it plays through the night and I wake up to it as well :) and I've never been this honest, yay...

A friend of mine, however hard to believe, just some weeks ago heard of Stay, thanks to me :) And now the song is the most played on her iPod :wink:

The video is one of U2's finest, although Electrical Storm has always been my top fave. And I can never sing the song through because that "staayyyyyyy" bit near the end is completely out of reach :mad: :mad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

STAY still is a great song...a classic one...
...MIAMI...NEW ORLEANS...LONDON...BELFAST and BERLIN...
...And, if you listen, I can't call.
...And, if you jump, you just might fall.
...And, if you shout, I'll only hear you.

what a beauty :bow:

this song is absolutely gorgeous. i had a thing for it when i first heard it on zooropa. and then when i heard the live version from ZooTV in Dublin i fell in love. :heart:

I don't think I've heard this single that some of you have mentioned. :scratch:

Yeah, in the In Conversation book Bono cited Stay as what he felt to be U2's single best song. The song really is beautiful, and I suppose the only way that I could describe it is "transcedent"; it is very similar to One in that regard. The video is also excellent; it conveys a sense of yearning very effectively.

I would say it is probably my no2 Fave U2 song behind streets.

When I first start listening to an album there is always a song that gets under my skin before the others. A song that makes me repeat it before I move on to the next track.

I remember with Stay I listened then repeated & repeated & repeated. Very rarely after I got Zooropa (the day it was released) did I ever get past Stay. I would get to that then just repeat it. I just dind't want to stop listening to it.

I absolutely love every thing about this song. From Bono's breath before the first lyric to the last drum beat its a classic. I love the accoustic versions too! Boston version is a lovely understated version. A full band electric version could never do the song justice as there is just too much going on to capture how it should be.

Stay is a juggernaut. Easily if my top 5. One of Bono's most enduring and provocative lyrics, and a coldly beautiful musical setpiece. Pure bliss, in other words.

As you can guess from my user name I absolutely love this song :heart: I never tire of listening to it and everything about it is amazing -the lyrics, the music, the video. It's on the soundtrack for Wim Wenders film Faraway So Close who also directed the video, although I think the released soundtrack version is supposed to be heavier. I keep meaning to track it down sometime.

it is a tie between with or without you and stay as my favorite ALL TIME u2 song. i can remember being 10 yrs old and listening to my older brothers cassette of zooropa and even at that age this song is the one i loved and blew me away....amazing amazing amazing.....beautful lyrics

that soaring electric guitar u subtely hear in the background as the songs hits the chorus ( the guitar u don't hear in the full band live version, almost sounds kinda like a synth)...highlight of the song!!!

i can't say enuff about this song:drool::drool: :drool:

Last edited:
Stay is and forever will be one of my all-time favorite songs by U2.

It is the song that completely made me sit up and take notice as I listened to Zooropa for the first time, just as One did for AB and Mofo did for Pop. It just grabs your attention.

If I were to try to convert a friend or acquaintance to U2 and try to win them over, Stay is one of the absolute first songs I would introduce them to.

The music is absolutely beautiful, the lyrics phenomenal, and the thing that gets me are the last couple of lines in the song, and then the cymbal crash at the very end. It sends chills up my spine whenever I listen to it, and I cannot help but think to myself, "My God, THAT is how a song is supposed to be written."
Such emotion and passion, and conviction. Just perfect.

Eh, I really like Stay, but there's something about it that has bugged me. I think it might be the fact that the lyrics, esp. the opening verse just do not sound ....in place I guess.

"Green light, seven eleven
You stop in for a pack of cigarettes
Don't smoke dont even want to"

It just doesn't flow the best over the Edge's guitar and Larry and Adam. The vocal I mean.

Still a beautiful song though. The chorus is to die for.

You ever see Mallrats? Remember the dude who was looking for the hidden sailboat in the picture? Everybody found it except for him. You haven't found the sailboat yet in that opening line. That line is awesome! Think about the line. Picture it in your mind.

Back
Top Bottom