The static setlist arguement. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2007, 04:46 AM   #1
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:08 PM
The static setlist arguement.

Got to thinking after reading another thread mentioning the age old "static setlist" arguement, surely a tour is based on the assumption that the vast majority of people at ANY given gig, will attend one show on the tour only. My point being, how can this arguement hold any water when most people are not in the privalaged position of being able to attend many shows?
Any other shows that go on the road (beit circus, musical or whatever) doesnt "shake up" the show. So why should a band be expected to?

Old 08-03-2007, 04:49 AM   #2
45:33

Local Time: 03:08 AM
Most people here tend to sort of complain about it I suppose, because as someone infamously said, "We're all fucking nuts." The casual fan will most likely only go to one or two shows at the most, and will want to see the big hits. Yes many of us would prefer Acrobat over Bullet, or Red Hill Mining Town over Pride. But it just won't happen.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:54 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:08 PM
It's because most hardcore fans take themselves to seriously and seem to forget that they are not the majority of people going to a U2 concert.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:58 AM   #4
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by COBL_04
Yes many of us would prefer Acrobat over Bullet, or Red Hill Mining Town over Pride. But it just won't happen.
Totally agree with that COBL_04. But surely thats more to do with the band not feeling comfortable enough playing them live. As you know, it wont be done to piss us off
Old 08-03-2007, 05:06 AM   #5
45:33

Local Time: 03:08 AM
Well yes. There are better examples but I that's what came to my head.

We'd have to ask U2 ourselves I reckon, I honestly don't know.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:12 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:08 PM
Re: The static setlist arguement.

Quote:
Originally posted by gman
Any other shows that go on the road (beit circus, musical or whatever) doesnt "shake up" the show.
It's not only touring shows. Does anyone expect Swan Lake to be improvised? Or a symphony? Or any Broadway play?

Personally I think a band has an obligation to do whatever they can to produce the best show for the majority of their fans day in and day out. A well practiced static setlist gives them the best chance of doing that. Ok, sometimes it isn't well practised until several shows into a tour, but that being the case, if they shook up the set list a lot each show chances are good ALL the shows would suck.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:26 AM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by last unicorn
It's because most hardcore fans take themselves to seriously and seem to forget that they are not the majority of people going to a U2 concert.
Close the thread, no better argument can be put forward.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:49 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: The static setlist arguement.

Quote:
Originally posted by gman
Got to thinking after reading another thread mentioning the age old "static setlist" arguement, surely a tour is based on the assumption that the vast majority of people at ANY given gig, will attend one show on the tour only. My point being, how can this arguement hold any water when most people are not in the privalaged position of being able to attend many shows?
Any other shows that go on the road (beit circus, musical or whatever) doesnt "shake up" the show. So why should a band be expected to?
Agreed, but with about 40 odd singles to choose from and 20 or 30 non singles that work well live they could vary it a bit more, but it's not something I get workred up about.
Zoo TV is the tour with the least amount of variation in set list, but it was such a massive experience and show, like an opera that it was almost impossible to vary the set much(apart from on the b-stage) as it would destroy the flow of the multi media show. However that's not the case.
The last tour had quite a bit of variation though, the tracks from BOy were particuarly wekcome.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:39 AM   #9
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:08 PM

Static setlists do not bother me. I've been a fan since 1995, so I've seen the Pop Mart, Elevation, and Vertigo tours...one show each time. I went to the Vertigo show by myself, but I went with my parents for the other two (my sister also came for one). They heard songs they wanted to...songs they expected to hear at a U2 show. I was glad.

There are a lot of people going to shows like that. I'm not saying whether or not U2 should cater to audience expectations, but I don't think the diehards who follow them from city to city and devour bootlegs of shows are making up the majority of crowds.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 08-03-2007, 09:41 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:08 AM
Just go back and look at the archived tour forum. I agree with the points being made about it. I understand why U2 do it and dont really have a problem with it.

The problem comes in when a new tour hits certain diehards lose their mind when U2 plays similiar or the same setlist most nights like they were expecting something different this time or that U2 has suddenly turned into Pearl Jam or Dave Matthews Band. Its not going to happen.

I think U2 does make somewhat of an effort by their standards to mix it up a little when they play multiple night in the same market. I do think they could make more of an effort to move the song order around. They tend to have setlist sections. They could move some of those around maintaining the same basic songs (IE sort of like they did with Lovetown). I dont expect U2 to break out "Lady With The Spinning Head" off the cuff though. I think some fans think that should happen. Would be great, but its not happening.

You want to see static, check out The Police setlists from the reunion tour.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:52 AM   #11
Refugee

Local Time: 09:08 AM
Of course, they could always rehearse more songs, get into shape and play longer.

They are ALWAYS under-rehearsed at the beginning of a tour, you'd think they would know by now not to leave it too late.

Get a few more songs into the mix, play a little longer, mix it up just a tad more. Not necessarily DMB/Pearl Jam style, they're just not good enough musicians to do that.

But take show length to say 2 hrs 15 mins rather than the 1 hr 50 typical (actually, 3rd leg elevation was shorter than that).

Just saw Rush last week, packed house, 9 new songs , some off the wall way-way-way under the radar stuff for the hardcore fan, the classics and the non-singles-well-loved album cuts. Something for everyone and reasonable ticket prices, played for 3 hours, awesome stage show and everyone walks away happy. They play the sam esetlist almost every night with only 1 song difference but I don't see the same complaints because they did something for everyone and actually had the balls to drop some tired old warhorses.

Anyone who wants Sprinsteen-esque setlist changes with U2 just doesn't know U2 and will always be disappointed.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:23 AM   #12
The Fly

The people that are defending the static setlist are forgetting one major poin,the danger for the band to go through the motion at a certain point of the tour.And when that happens,the audiences can notice it...and you won't get your money back.

We are now in the age of the internet,people know the setlist of the previouis night,so when you enter the venue you know at 90% what songs you're gonna get and in what order.

It just suck the emotion out of the concert. I don't demand the band to pull out "Endless deep" or "Boomrang", but for god sake, does anyone still have tears down their cheek that's dropping when the hear "One"?Do you still have goose pump when it's time to "Pride"?

I read a few times Bono saying how great WGRYWH is live.So why the song doesn't have a regular slot in the setlist?Why "One tree hill" is only performe when they play in N.Z./Australia?I know it's a tribute to Greg Carroll,but the song is well known by fans outside of that part of the world as well... and very much so adore.

I don't ask them to take the Pearl Jam approach,but how about something in the middle.....like The Boss?
Old 08-03-2007, 11:52 AM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Rotation, rotation, rotation. That's all you need to do with the big hits. It's not a greatist hits show. The static setlists are something easy to fix.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:57 AM   #14
Forum Moderator

I went to a lot of shows, and although I agree that I could do without hearing Bullet or One 27 times, I did get to hear 54 unique songs during the tour. I was happy.

I picked my shows carefully.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:05 PM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by toscano
They are ALWAYS under-rehearsed at the beginning of a tour, you'd think they would know by now not to leave it too late.
I don't think they leave it too late. Rather, the first few shows are rusty as that's the first time they're performing them in front of an audience. U2 shapes their shows on audience reaction and you never know how well something works (or not) until you perform it in front of an audience.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:08 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Cigar
It just suck the emotion out of the concert. I don't demand the band to pull out "Endless deep" or "Boomrang", but for god sake, does anyone still have tears down their cheek that's dropping when the hear "One"?Do you still have goose pump when it's time to "Pride"?
Actually, at my last U2 gig (the Hawaii one) I was really looking forward to hearing Pride.
And the one-time concert goer will be very happy to hear Pride, One, With Or Without You, Mysterious Ways, etc.
I'm going to my very first Prince concert next week. I don't care how many times the regulars have heard his hits before. I've never heard them live, so I'll be happy with them. It's the first time I'm going to hear them.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:09 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Cigar
The people that are defending the static setlist are forgetting one major poin,the danger for the band to go through the motion at a certain point of the tour.And when that happens,the audiences can notice it...and you won't get your money back.

We are now in the age of the internet,people know the setlist of the previouis night,so when you enter the venue you know at 90% what songs you're gonna get and in what order.

I read a few times Bono saying how great WGRYWH is live.So why the song doesn't have a regular slot in the setlist?Why "One tree hill" is only performe when they play in N.Z./Australia?I know it's a tribute to Greg Carroll,but the song is well known by fans outside of that part of the world as well... and very much so adore.

I don't ask them to take the Pearl Jam approach,but how about something in the middle.....like The Boss?
yes but U2's tours never been the same from the first dates to the final dates they always evolve, changes in the show, the setlist, and how they play the songs live they do change things to keep it interesting for themselves and the audience

and only fans like the ones in this forum (including myself) know the setlist and even the order of the songs when going to there concerts, I when to 5 vertigo shows with different people, huge fans and casual fans and none of them knew what to expect they don't follow setlists like we do and the vast majority of the audience is like that

besides 95% of the people at a show expect to hear songs like pride, one, beautifuly day, streets, etc.

the songs they played usually are synchronized with loops and images they can't pull any song out of nowhere
Old 08-03-2007, 12:30 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn

I don't think they leave it too late. Rather, the first few shows are rusty as that's the first time they're performing them in front of an audience. U2 shapes their shows on audience reaction and you never know how well something works (or not) until you perform it in front of an audience.
Rusty/under-rehearsed, same thing. did you SEE the Vegas video ?

I was at the first few shows on the htdaab tour, they were under-rehearsed, they didn't even know what running order they wanted. Luckily I missed the first night anaheim debacle
Old 08-03-2007, 12:40 PM   #19
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
Rotation, rotation, rotation. That's all you need to do with the big hits. It's not a greatist hits show. The static setlists are something easy to fix.
Exactly.

They could rotate playing songs like Pride / Sunday Bloody Sunday / New Year's Day in a spot in the setlist for multiple night stays.

Their back catalogue is big enough for them to do it, plus it's adding the songs from Bomb and the 8-10 songs they'll play live from the next album.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:48 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by toscano

Rusty/under-rehearsed, same thing. did you SEE the Vegas video ?

I was at the first few shows on the htdaab tour, they were under-rehearsed, they didn't even know what running order they wanted. Luckily I missed the first night anaheim debacle
The Vegas show was more of an exception. They had almost no rehearsal time due to POP recording running way over. U2 always starts out a bit rusty (alot of bands do). But they typically are still pretty good. I didnt think San Diego from Vertigo, Ft. Lauderdale from Elevation, Lakeland from Zoo TV, were bad performances. Obviously not as good as when they get rolling. But to throw Vegas 97 out there as the norm is not a fair comparison.

There was an interview from the last tour where they explained how they come up with the setlist and why they tend to stick with one they feel works. I think alot of people here should read it. You may not like it, but it makes sense as to what U2 are trying to accomplish.