The Spiritual Journey of U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thehepcat

The Fly
Today is supposed to be the day for a new U2 book! Written by none other than my friend Steve Stockman, who I got to know a few years back when I visited Ireland, this book addresses the much discussed U2/Spirituality issue. Here is what his thoughts are about the book. I am looking forward to his insights.
From stocki.ni.org

WALK ON - THE SPIRITUAL JOURNEY OF U2 - this week!!

Mon 29 Oct 2001

news of Steve's book on U2

This week (October 31st) sees the availablity in the shops of Walk On: The Spiritual Journey of U2 by our web site host Steve Stockman. The book is initially released in The United States Of America where it will be available in both the Christian Book Stores as well is in mainstream bookstores like Barnes and Noble. It has been doing well in presales on the Amazon.com internet site where it is currently in the top 1000 books, the most popular U2 book there at present. Stay tuned to Rhythms of Redemption for an update on UK outlets.

As it gets closer to the release date Steve gets more and more nervous about people's reactions. He says, "Peter Case once said to me that heaven was the day before the album came out. You have all the fun and satisfaction doing it and the excitement of it coming out but no bad reviews. I do fear the reviews. I am new to this field and might find out I am a naive writer. I am not sure that the press will fully understand the Christian slant and that might be manifested in it being slated. Atheists who have tried to deny this part of U2 will might be annoyed and suggest I?m using U2 to prove God?s existence. Again a misunderstanding but understandable from their paradigm. Some Christians will think (sorry be confirmed in thinking) that I have lost the plot. It is a book from my own Christian paradigm and a clash of paradigms may happen on Wednesday!!!! I am not looking forward to that part of it. However there are many people who do want this kind of study on U2?s work and I look forward very much to my continued dialogue with them have encouraged me."

The book deals with U2's career from the beginning to right up to the English leg of their Elevation Tour. As it goes chronologically it stops off to look at the spiritual issues of albums, tours or events. Steve says that he has been researching the book for twenty years and he hopes that he has added something to the U2 canon of biography by homing in on the faith that he found was outrageously missing from the recent Bono biography. He does fear though that Bono might come and get him! "I am not sure how Bono will take it. I hope he doesn't feel I have undermined him. I just sense there is a great story to tell and some are longing to hear it. On the other hand I might be completely wrong and he might come up and beat my ding dong in!!! I have a few questions to ask him before he does."

Steve is also about to start writing some things on this site about U2 that for one reason or another didn't make the book under the title "Thoughts For The Second Edition!".

------------------
Looking for U2 bootlegs?
www.geocities.com/u2trades

[This message has been edited by thehepcat (edited 10-31-2001).]

wow, you actually *know* Stocki??? Cool!
smile.gif

Can't wait to get my own copy of this book, I've been looking forward to it for months now. Steve seems like a very cool guy. I like what he's written before, from articles and bits on his website.

Think I'll run off to check Amazon again...

disco

Yeah, I actually stayed at Derryvolgie Hall in Belfast for 6 weeks, and he was in charge of the place. Took me to some great record shops, and we had some great talks about U2. Anyway, I just checked Amazon and they still have it on pre-order. Strange...

------------------
Looking for U2 bootlegs?
www.geocities.com/u2trades

Just came from Barnes and Noble and they said it has been released and they should have a shipment within a week.

It's on my list! I'm am really glad someone (and this person sounds like he knows the ins and outs of U2) is writing on this subject. It's been such a mystery. I know Bono's faith affected my heart, because it was after seeing the band live and listening to the October album especially that I really began to understand the Christian principles of Hope and Love.

Thanks for posting the info, thehepcat!

Back
Top Bottom