The sophisticated background violin/keyboard in 'So Cruel'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Just listening to Achtung Baby for the first time in about 3 months, and getting lost in the sounds of 'So Cruel'. There's this violin that beckons, if not implores our molecules to vibrate to a higher order. It's a high society without any pretense. There's a sort of warm sophistication about it, a grand romance about it. It's a calling...and I'm getting lost looking for it ("maybe you're nowhere," indeed). Just isolate it. Focus on it, close your eyes, and follow it. Notice where it takes you.

The sound I'm talking about isn't so much during the chorus (though I'm sure it's mixed in there still). It's the same background violin sound that begins to appear after, "I'm only hanging on to watch you go down, my love," and continues to repeat throughout the song. But the part that I love sort of dips down and can be found after, "Her skin is pale like God's only dirt," and is repeated several more times. I can imagine a young couple walking the streets of Paris or London to this. Anyone know if this is a violin or a keyboard? I've heard it before, but I think it deserves a post. Anyone agree?

I guess I should mention I'm listening to it on headphones. Definitely a headphones moment.

Does anyone else agree with me, or am I just having another "personal" moment?! I just can't get enough of it.

The credits for So Cruel in the Achtung Baby liner notes say: "Additional Instruments: Violin and Viola/The Duchess Nell Catchpole String Arrangement - The Edge and Brian Eno".

I have noticed it before, but thanks to your post, I'll probably notice it even more now. I have a nice soft spot in my heart for violin music, and I'll definitely say that the string arrangement is part of why I love So Cruel so much.

Also, while we're on the subject of So Cruel, I was quite pleased to read in U2 By U2 that Larry is playing a Bodhrán throughout the song. It's hard to notice, but you can hear it most clearly in the beginning of the song, before the regular drums kick in. Once you know it's there though, it's hard not to notice :)

Yes, it's a synth bit by Brian Eno.

And it has beauty the size of Texas.

IMO, those bits make the song.

Eno needs to be resurrected, if not for production, to play some synth.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
The credits for So Cruel in the Achtung Baby liner notes say: "Additional Instruments: Violin and Viola/The Duchess Nell Catchpole String Arrangement - The Edge and Brian Eno".

I have noticed it before, but thanks to your post, I'll probably notice it even more now. I have a nice soft spot in my heart for violin music, and I'll definitely say that the string arrangement is part of why I love So Cruel so much.

Also, while we're on the subject of So Cruel, I was quite pleased to read in U2 By U2 that Larry is playing a Bodhrán throughout the song. It's hard to notice, but you can hear it most clearly in the beginning of the song, before the regular drums kick in. Once you know it's there though, it's hard not to notice :)
Ah! Is that what that drum is at the beginning? I always thought the drums in 'So Cruel' were amplified in some way. They just sound doubled up or trippled even. I guess this explains it! Nice to see U2 using traditional Irish drums in their music, too. And it's also nice to see how U2's music has always been stretching towards Africa... This is one more example since the Bodhran probably originated from similar drums in North Africa. Cool stuff. :)

U2DMfan said:
Yes, it's a synth bit by Brian Eno.

And it has beauty the size of Texas.

IMO, those bits make the song.

Eno needs to be resurrected, if not for production, to play some synth.
I agree. U2 owe so much of their sound to Brian Eno....and frankly, he's pretty much the 5th member of the band (or is he the 6th with Lanois?). They are masters, and I generally like the Eno/Lanois albums the most. They just add so much dimension. I can only imagine the great things they could have done for HTDAAB.... but then again, we'd still be waiting for the album. :wink:

Thanks for pointing this out Michael.
I don't know how I never noticed before that there are violins in the song, even more with So Cruel being one of my favorite songs.

I just listened to it several times on headphones and I must say that sound it's so beautiful. Now I listen to it in a different way.
Sometimes I like to play a song but just focus on listening to the sound of any single instrument. It's hard to explain, I kind of immerse in it and I can hear the song in a different way.

this is what it says in U2 by U2, page 228:

"Adam: So Cruel was lifted up by studio trickery. It started out as an acoustic tune, I was playing acoustic bass, Edge was playing acoustic guitar and Larry was playing a bodhran (Irish drum). It wasn't something one could imagine being on the recrod but overnight Flood di a couple of treatments to the track that utterly transformed it. He keyed my bass part off Larry's bodhran, which gave it a much more bubbly, off-beat feel and then we overdubbed a few things and the drum part went on"

=)

I love when the bass really starts to come in at around the 2nd minute of the song. It kind of restarts the song, or just gives it extra bounce. All i know is it's way cool.

Listening with headphones right now. This song is hypnotic. Bono's firing on all cylinders with lyrics. You totally know the girl he is singing about. You can like...almost see her. It's so freaky and oh so good.

U2DMfan said:
obviously Edge probably helped him, but my man-crush on Eno doesn't like to observe that as much .

Time I came out of my closet here :wink:
I have a huge man crush on Eno too, he is a genius.
So Cruel is omne of U2's most criminally underrated songs.
I absolutely love the synth-strings and Bono''s soaring vocals.

thebogusman.jpg

Back
Top Bottom