The Song 'Zooropa' - What's the verdict on this one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i think 'walkontheedge' should start his own "trashcan appreciation thread". :wink:

fine, you didnt like the damn cd. ok. still, i find it a little odd, yes. but to be so harsh, and ignorant to it, is representive of probably how you really are and the way you acted about it in general in your initial post.. is what pushed me aback.

its kind of odd how you push the fact that you refused to have the cd in your presence at all.

MattFromNYC said:
. but to be so harsh, and ignorant to it, is representive of probably how you really are and the way you acted about it in general in your initial post.. is what pushed me aback.

its kind of odd how you push the fact that you refused to have the cd in your presence at all.

Let it go, Yank. Let it go. It's not the end of the world.:sad:

WalkOnTheEdge said:
My god, you'd think I ran over a pack of school children at a bus stop or something.

My god, you'd think I knocked over Mother Theresa and stole her lunch!

Heheh. :D

Seriously though, guys (*cough*MattfromNewYork*cough*) - give the man a break. Yes, he threw away one of U2's greatest CDs (in my eyes, at least), but that was his choice. His loss. Let it go. Nine pages of torment is MORE than enough, already. Geez. :)

My god, you'd think he hunched over and took a shit on the communion or something! :wink:

Zooropa is the most Achtung Baby-sounding song and it's not even on Achtuing Baby!

Classic Song, but I'm with those who find the Zooropa album to be one of the weaker albums in the U2 catalogue. Zooropa and Lemon are especially great, but the rest of the album is just a bunch of average U2 songs in my opinion.

4 star album and my 7th favourite U2 album

Fave Songs
1. Gloria
2. Streets
3. Beautiful Day
4. Zooropa
5. Discotheque
6. The Fly
7. Zoo Station
8. Please
9. New Years Day
10. The Unforgettable Fire

intedomine said:
Classic Song, but I'm with those who find the Zooropa album to be one of the weaker albums in the U2 catalogue.

Halle-freaking-luja........someone else is in my camp!! Lol....

Sorry, as entertaining as this thread has been, I wanted it to finally die a slow death. But I just had to give props to this person for standing up, staring the masses in the face, and saying it's near the bottom of their album list.:wink:

It's at the bottom of the catalogue in the eyes of most people, I think, only because it's a U2 album and almost any U2 album I consider to be great. Zooropa is just less great because it's slightly overshadowed by Achtung Baby and JT, but make no mistake, I LOVE Zooropa. An awesome album for a bad day.

Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby
Pop
War
HTDAAB
Zooropa
Unforgettable Fire
Boy
Rattle and Hum
ATYCLB
October

I was 15 when it came out and I got it a few days after its release. I was confused by it at the time but it was 1993 and I was listening to Achtung Baby non stop and I dwelved back into U2's past catalogue oh and grunge over shadowed everything. So when it came out it was really really different from anything at the time.

I had trouble getting into it. Zooropa was so dark and weird, Lemon had Bono singing like a girl... Some of the other songs were just kind of weird for me too.

But after a while I realized it was such a masterpiece and it was such a great album and only U2 could have had the balls at the time to make that album.

For me the album became one of those listen to at night with headphones on albums.

I could see how other people would have trouble getting into the album since it was devoid of anything that remotely resembled U2. There were no anthems, no typically structured songs that would be easy on the ears.

Instead U2 gave the world in 1993 an odd album, very Euro, a title track that has lyrics nicked from Television advertisement slogans, a weird pop song about fantasizing and infatuation with models, a quirky song about Bono's mom sung in a high pitched voice with some of his best lyrics ever, Edge's monotone grind of Numb, oh and Stay with the best opening line ever "Green Light, 7-11, You Stop In For a Pack of Cigarettes, You Don't Smoke, Don't Even Want To" and then there's Dirty Day, such a brilliant song in its own right. "Those days days days run away like horses over the hills."

It's just such a brilliant album, a U2 masterstroke of timing and brilliance and production etc.

Chizip said:
BTW Dave Matthews fans bash the CD Everyday because it sucks, not because it has a self titled song on the album.

:lmao: Will you marry me?

Zooropa: The Song
...would be a cool movie :wink:

No really, Zooropa is amazing. The song structure is unlike anything I've ever heard really, but still makes sense. Experimental without being too...detached. I love everything about this song. The intro, the slogans, the change at 4:00...some fucking great lyrics too: "Uncertainty can be a guiding light"

As for the album Zooropa...
...I threw that in the recycling bin :wink:

No really, I have been listening to Zooropa like crazy lately. I even changed my LJ layout to be like the album :huh: I've always loved it though. I got into U2 when I was 9 with POP and soon after I started getting more U2 albums... Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum, October, The Unforgettable Fire, and Zooropa were the ones I got fairly early on. All pretty drastically different (well not JT to RH but Pop to JT? October to Zooropa? yeah...) but I loved them all, really, I would listen to them all. I didn't necessarily like every song but I loved the albums as a whole and I took everything in easily. I really don't think it occured to me at that age how fucking diverse U2 was. I was just like "this is U2, I like U2. This is also U2, I like U2." Each album was like a part of the whole that was U2.

Speaking of Pop (this totally relates I swear), my little third grade self had difficulty finding people who shared my affection for U2...but I did meet this one guy who knew the song Discotheque. I was thrilled. I asked him if he had Pop and he said "Yeah I had it for like a week then I threw it away." :huh: I don't think I talked to that kid much after that... I'd say that's as bad as or worse than throwing away Zooropa :wink:

Back to our regularly scheduled programming: Zooropa is one of U2's best albums. It takes away almost everything that you would associate with U2 yet is somehow also very distinctly U2. I mean, who else could have made that album? Song by song:

Zooropa - we've covered this. Brilliant.
Babyface - Severely underrated. I enjoy this song greatly. It's "cute." And Bono singing "coming home late at night to turn you on love..." :drool:
Numb - Possibly the most un-U2 song ever (save some stuff on Passengers). I love it. The drums are excellent, very catchy. I get the DRUMBEAT to Numb stuck in my head. Edge's monotone contrasting with the falsetto works well...and interesting lyrics, too. And the music video is hilarious!
Lemon - A masterpiece. I used to like this song, not go crazy over it like everyone else, but lately it has won me over totally. Unlike anything U2 has ever done. I really like it live too. The music video is the best "arty" one they've done.
Stay - It's up there with With or Without You and One as far as I'm concerned. Amazing lyrics. Beautiful. Great music video. Overall a classic.
Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car - This used to be one of my favourites from the album, I still love it. Dark and cool, and brilliant on the Sydney vid.
Some Days Are Better Than Others - Okay. So it's not U2's most profound song ever. But I still love it. I think the lyrics are actually good and quite amusing at times - "your skin is white but you think you're a brother" :lmao:
The First Time - Probably one of the most underrated U2 songs ever, it's often forgotten... such a beautiful ballad, kinda Velvet Underground-ish. It has some of Bono's best and most personal lyrics, and when the piano swells up toward the end it's orgasmic.
Dirty Day - Speaking of orgasmic... go sign the Dirty Day petition, this song needs to be played live a lot. I'd say live this is the best off the album. The album version is perfectly brilliant on its own though.
The Wanderer - I used to not dig this song so much but now I like it. Though I think Cash does an excellent job it would be interesting to hear Bono's vocal take on it, I have heard that from demos he sounded incredible. It's hard to imagine anyone but Johnny Cash singing it though...

Overall: This album rules. Anyone that throws it in the trash must have garbage for brains :wink:

I think I love Zooropa a little too much. I'm starting to think I like it more than JT :huh:

WalkOnTheEdge said:

Halle-freaking-luja........someone else is in my camp!! Lol....

Sorry, as entertaining as this thread has been, I wanted it to finally die a slow death. But I just had to give props to this person for standing up, staring the masses in the face, and saying it's near the bottom of their album list.:wink:

But I aint sayin it's a bad album. It still at least a four star album, but it's just not as good as about half a dozen other U2 albums.

I prefer to think of Achtung Baby, PoP and The Unforgettable Fire as U2's more triumphant experimental albums.

Zooropa, Babyface, Lemon, Numb, Stay, First Time, Dirty Day, Wanderer, any album that contains that many great tracks has got something going for it in my book

What do you want? What do you want?

Zooropa the song is an accomplishment approaching the likes of Streets in my mind. It is a journey crammed into six minutes. It really does transport into the "slipstream."And for me, it marked Adam's emergence as a stellar bassist. If U2 ever catches on with the acid/laser light show/Pink Floyd crowd, this song would be the high point of the show.

The song has such a visual element that it's a shame that it has not figured into the live show more. I would love to see what the guys could do with this song and a light curtain, but I guess the song doesn't fit the sound of the current tour. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom