The single turning point for the emergence of soft U2 is...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
u2fan628 said:
Maybe this will be addressed in the new album,since Rick Reuben is involved.

rick rubin
RickRubin.jpg

rick reuben
reubenshapiros2.jpg

Headache in a Suitcase said:

rick rubin
RickRubin.jpg

rick reuben
reubenshapiros2.jpg

mmmm... Rick Reuben... :drool:

Ahh, but which one is the better producer?

This also begs the question; what would the new U2 album sound like if it was produced by a meat sandwich? -Insert POP or HTDATB Joke Here-

This thread is odd, it kind of reminds me of Zoomerang's money thread only that one makes more sense. :wink:

LemonMelon said:

compared to IGWSHA, which has a heavy sentiment, but is a tad sugary.

Sugary? What's sugary about:

"God’s got his phone off the hook, babe
Would he even pick up if he could
It’s been a while since we saw that child
Hanging ‘round this neighborhood
See his mother dealing in a doorway
See Father Christmas with a begging bowl
Jesus’ sister’s eyes are a blister
The high street never looked so low"

They've done "soft" before, but I think the point is that IGWSHA is a little . . . well, squishy. Maudlin.

Rockest U2 songs are:

1. Like a song
2. Exit (live)
3. With a shout
4. Rejoice
5. The Fly (live)
6. God Part 2
7. Beautiful day (live)
8. Vertigo

Street mission......:drool:

U2 is clearly turning more and more towards slow rock/Pop..... but overall U2 is a rock band without any doubt, they rock harder than REM, Cure, Coldplay, Radiohead, etc..... but less than Placebo, Muse......
I wish they would come back to something like Boy-War stuff..... that's why I love the song "The Saints are coming" !

IGWSHA's lyrics are pretty heavy, but for some reason it doesn't come off. This one seems definitely rushed and un-finished for my tastes.

And it repeats some pretty lousy lines that become cringe-worthy.

And it's pretty difficult singing about angels in a pop song without it coming off as tepid. Good intent behind the song, mediocre execution.

t8thgr8 said:
If god will send his angels. After that song was recorded the band cut a hard left off of their track and have been trying to find their way back ever since.

If God Will Send His Angels is from the Achtung Baby sessions.

Yahweh_OMG said:
Rockest U2 songs are:

1. Like a song
2. Exit (live)
3. With a shout
4. Rejoice
5. The Fly (live)
6. God Part 2
7. Beautiful day (live)

I don't think you can make that list without:

1. Until The End Of The World
2. The Electric Co
3. Acrobat
4. Bullet The Blue Sky

Other contenders:

Vertigo
All Because Of You
Gone
Gloria
I Will Follow
Zoo Station

Beautifl Day is an exceptional song, but I don't think it qualifies as a "rocker".

Yahweh_OMG said:
Rockest U2 songs are:

1. Like a song
2. Exit (live)
3. With a shout
4. Rejoice
5. The Fly (live)
6. God Part 2
7. Beautiful day (live)
8. Vertigo

beautiful day?

:huh:

zbz.gif

Electric CO.
Until the end of the world
HMTMKMKM
:drool:

I thought it started out during Zooropa sessions. Isn't this song one of the hidden letters on the album cover?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The single turning point for the emergence of soft U2 is...

Headache in a Suitcase said:

where in? according to the index the song is only mentioned in the section on Pop... where does it say it first came up during the axtung bebi sessions?

Didn't say the axtung sessions. there were dublin sessions as well. Still, I couldn't find it in U2 by U2; so it must've been somewhere else - or from the Zooropa sesssions. I remember this vividly because I was so surprised that that song would come from those earlier sessions.

Still, whether it was the 1990 sessions or the 1992 sessions, I said that to illustrate that if Angels signals a shift to soft rock, it did so at the midway point in their career. There's been plenty of rocks songs since then. You could make the argument, and many have, that The Unforgettable Fire LP signalled a shift to soft rock. And that was over 20 years ago.

U2girl said:
I thought it started out during Zooropa sessions. Isn't this song one of the hidden letters on the album cover?

As far as I'm aware, this is correct.

Axver said:

As far as I'm aware, this is correct.

According to "Into the Heart" the title existed at the time of the Zooropa sessions but the song did not come into being until Pop. The title was inspired by the same Wim Wenders film that Stay was written for. Bono and Edge wrote the beginnings of the music on acoutic guitar. Adam and Larry added their parts and then Howie B went to town on it.

Dana

I just want the more adventurous U2 back.

I want the Zoo era Bono who said something along the lines of "We might lose some of the pop kids, but we dont need em anyway".

Rather than the ATYCLB era Larry who said "Beautiful Day is our attempt to compete with Britney Spears".

And Im not saying rehash the 90's sound, altho I certainly wouldnt mind that. Its more of a mindset than a sound.

Bean Skidds said:
I just want the more adventurous U2 back.

I want the Zoo era Bono who said something along the lines of "We might lose some of the pop kids, but we dont need em anyway".

Rather than the ATYCLB era Larry who said "Beautiful Day is our attempt to compete with Britney Spears".

And Im not saying rehash the 90's sound, altho I certainly wouldnt mind that. Its more of a mindset than a sound.

Back
Top Bottom