THE SECRET WE ALL KNOW...THE SECRET WE ALL GET TO SHARE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spanisheyes

Forum Moderator, The Goal Is Soul
Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast, and Berlin
Let me tell you about a true story that might have happened to you, like it happened to me. It might even help you, to wonder what has happened to me. It involves ?the secret? that to this day, many U2 fans, I believe, still hold in their hearts and minds?let me see if I can do my best to expound on ?the secret?.

Many days and nights ago, I was walking down these train tracks to nowhere, listening to my stereo, just taken in a normal walk on the 17th year of my life. Suddenly, a song came on the radio with a guitar and a voice I?d never heard before, but was immediately drawn in by everything about it?the song, ?I Will Follow?.

I remember I fell in love that day, and in the succeeding years, picked up each album as it came out?Boy, October, War?and that is when I began to realize for the first time the beginning of what ?the secret? was all about. I was proud of the fact that I had discovered this band with this enigmatic, passionately sonic music that had began to reverberate deep within my being. No one followed, or so it seems.

Then came 1984, the Unforgettable Fire had been released, and I would finally be able to see live in concert what had become ?my band??the band that none of my other friends seem to care about, and wondered what I saw in them. But I would say nothing, I kept ?the secret? inside of me where no one could touch it, no one could abuse it.

When I arrived at the show that cold, December evening, I remember arriving at my seat, and as 11? O Clock Tick Tock started to play, I looked around and saw thousands of people going ecstatic over ?my band?. For the first time, I truly realized what ?the secret? was, and that others knew about it as well, and we all became one celebratory mass of what has come to be known as the U2 community that night, expressing openly, what we had kept inside of us for so long, and man did we let it all hang out?I never felt more alive that night.

Back then, there were no voices?do you understand what I mean? No one compared albums, no one complained about setlist, no fans bashed each other?we were just thrilled to be able to hear this band live, and were thankful for the incredible music that they were creating album after album. We gleamed with pride when U2 played Live Aid, and millions were let in to ?the secret??or when U2 made the cover of Time magazine, and again, millions were let in to ?the secret??those were special days.

Lonely days? At times, but the love was pure, and U2?s song ?One? seems almost prophetic now in reference to those days?we?re one, but we?re not the same, we get to carry each other, carry each other?One. More shows, the nights queuing for U2?s latest release at midnight?the streets lined with fans, and once again, you were reminded of ?the secret?, and that everything was safe tonight.

A fairy tale you say? Yeah...a fairy tale that is still burning in my heart?a longing of those days when it was just me and ?the secret?, but at the same time when I?m talking with a U2 fan, many of you in this very forum, who I can sense have ?the secret? in you as well?walk on, stay safe tonight, and U2?thanks a million, because that is how many times you have touch my soul with your music?from ?I Will Follow? to ?Beautiful Day? from ?Boy? to ?All That You Can?t Leave Behind??your ?secret? is good with me?because a secret is something you tell one other person?so I?m telling you?carry each other like a U2 community should, because U2 is the reason we are even here. Lastly, never let ?the secret? go out in you, whether you?ve been a fan for 20 years or 2 months?let?s touch the flame together.

Chris

Nice post spanisheyes
wink.gif

------------------
"I'm staring at the sun, not the only one who's happy to go blind..."

Wow, beautiful, Chris.
You know, I never felt a part of a "U2 community" until I got online. Funny, eh? It was just me and their music and them, like disembodied angel voices on my Walkman all these years, keeping me sane. Maybe if I'd gone to that show in '83 at the soft-seat theatre, 3500 seats, by all accounts an incendiary show (broke, unemployed seemed like a fair excuse -- at the time)...maybe it would have been different. Instead they were my collective Muse, my unseen spiritual life. Yes, my SECRET ... only because no one else around me seemed to know the language. Never was much into radio, so even the JT phenomenon passed me by; was just me and that record, every day for 15 months. My love for U2 had always been so very private... To find this "secret we all share" is a gift indeed, unacknowledged before Chris put it into such sweet, true words. Much appreciated, spanisheyes. Namaste, Feedback.

------------------
***Grace makes beauty out of ugly things***

the greatest frontman in the world -- by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

Back
Top Bottom