the proper original version of the "UTEOTW" video?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattFromNYC

War Child
its on the achtung baby documentary, and i was wondering, whats the story behind it? who's idea was it for the video? also, was this shown a lot on TV back then? i dont really recall seeing it ever.

i know!! its amazing! very very dark, disturbing, sexual, apocalyptic.... very different compared to their other videos. thats for sure. puts a different spin to the song, in a very good way.
this thing is genius.

timothius said:
Without ever having seen it I ask... Is it better than the killer performance on the Best Of DVD? Or is it like comparing apples & oranges.

Well, they are so... so... very different. Personally, nothing is cooler than the Best of DVD version to me, but the proper video is just.... WOW. Unlike any U2 vid I've ever seen. I love them both almost equally, but in two totally different senses, if that makes sense. But the live performance one always is personally special to me.

Seriously, YOU MUST check it out. Get it off Amazon or something... they only seem to have it on VHS, or maybe rent it somewhere. The documentary is just great, too.

MattFromNYC said:
its on the achtung baby documentary, and i was wondering, whats the story behind it? who's idea was it for the video? also, was this shown a lot on TV back then? i dont really recall seeing it ever.

I don't know what the story behind it was, and I don't know who's idea it was.
BUT I do have a feeling it wasn't played on TV alot because UTEOTW was not released as a single.
What I think could have happened was they thought about releasing it, made video, then changed their minds and didn't release it.
Don't ask me why they didn't release it, it probably would have done really well if it had been, but oh well, I was 2 then anyway, so it wouldn't have affected my life.

timothius said:
Without ever having seen it I ask... Is it better than the killer performance on the Best Of DVD? Or is it like comparing apples & oranges.

It's apples and oranges. The original video is creepy as hell, I think. I'm not even sure I like it. It's very dark, and there are disturbing images, like bloody faces, and seeing Edge wrapped suffocatingly tight in Saran Wrap.

miss becky said:

It's apples and oranges. The original video is creepy as hell, I think. I'm not even sure I like it. It's very dark, and there are disturbing images, like bloody faces, and seeing Edge wrapped suffocatingly tight in Saran Wrap.

It also looks to be shot with someone's home video, I don't think it ever would have done anything for the song if released as a single.

A lot of the footage in that video was taken from the wim wenders film of the same title. all the colorful images of landscapes and buildings and such. I think U2 had planned on releasing it as a single aroung the time that movie came out. it is a good film. a bit artsy and long but very thought provoking and interesting. the soundtrack features a less finished studio version of UTEOTW.

Edge in saran wrap? :hmm: Now I'm not sure. The video I'm talking about used to be on Yahoo Launch Cast. For some reason they removed it. :mad: But all I can remember of the video is that it shows some dark landscape and Bono's face is seen in the foreground every now and then. The video did have mostly dark colors. :huh:

I've only seen 2 versions of the song. One at a ZooTv concert and the other...it's just so disturbing that they made it! It looks like Bono is psychotic in it and it looks like edge is all bloody in saran wrap and it looks like he is going to suffocate.

Back
Top Bottom