The production on Mercy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2SJ said:
I think they defininitely realize how special this song is....It was Bono who told me to watch out for Mercy, its one of his favorites..... :)

Yeah, unfortunately Original of the Species is one of his favorites too, and it's appeared, what, 4 times on this tour? They finally nail the electric guitar version and hit it out of the park, and what happens? They stop playing it again. How could they not realize how amazing that Amsterdam performance was?

But we need to hear ISHFWILF and WOWY every night? And they keep Miss Sarajevo, which is cool, but not nearly as masterful as OOTS sounded. Remember, every time Vertigo gets played twice is a slot that could have been taken by the REAL showstopper.

Idiots. Really, they are.

Don't hold your breath on Mercy being played live, or sounding like it does now when if it shows up on an album.

discothequeLP said:

next time anyone meets any member of the band, you better tell them that everyone LOVES the song Mercy and that they need to release it officially and play it LIVE. if they ever play it live it will be up there with Streets, Bad, With or Without You, and Mysterious Ways. . . really really good!

I will. Seriously. If I meet Bono (Cleveland!! :rockon: ) I am going to say "Is Mercy gonna be on an album? cuz it needs to be"

lazarus, I think Original is going to be played more during the third leg, possibly/hopefully every night. Two reasons: first off, the band has finally figured out how to play it right, secondly, it's probably going to be their 5th and final single from HTDAAB. Oh, and it's also one of the best songs they've ever written :drool:

EPandAmerica said:

:yes:

I actually limit myself from listening to this song too much. If I ever lose that feeling it gives me then I would be very sad.

It is brilliant!!

In the last few months, I haven't listened to this song much (or any other U2 for that matter). But I started listening to it again a few days ago.

Honestly, I could listen to this song 5 times a day and I'm not sure It'd lose it's power.

As Laz said, this song is a modern Bad....except that it's far more powerful, IMO, than the studio version of Bad.

BTW, what is this buzzing people are talking about? Do you mean hiss? I hear no buzz on my copy, and I've had it since last year.

For reference, by copy is 9,388,032 bytes

discothequeLP said:
next time anyone meets any member of the band, you better tell them that everyone LOVES the song Mercy and that they need to release it officially and play it LIVE. if they ever play it live it will be up there with Streets, Bad, With or Without You, and Mysterious Ways. . . really really good!

Already did that at the 2nd SD show.

Me: Edge, any chance you guys will play Mercy on this tour?

Edge: Not likely.

Me: Bono any chance you guys will play Mercy this tour?

A: Yeah, Maybe.

Me: Well you need, this is one of the best songs you've ever recorded.

Bono: Oh, it's out there?

I'd heard that it was going to be a Bside at one time.

EPandAmerica said:

:yes:

I actually limit myself from listening to this song too much. If I ever lose that feeling it gives me then I would be very sad.

It is brilliant!!

That's so funny that you said that because I'm the same way! I haven't heard the song in a while, then I played it today, and it was absolutely astonishing. I guess I don't want to lose "that feeling" either! So I limit playing it too.

:up:

kcrays said:

I'd heard that it was going to be a Bside at one time.

Finally, someone follows through and passes this sentiment on to the band! Way to go!

Anyone else? They need to know that this song is worshipped by a significant faction of U2 fandom.

His only response to "This is one of the best songs..." was "Oh, it's out there?"?? That's it?

Hopefully I'll be able to second your motion at the next Los Angeles or Vegas show.

I think everyone here would say something to the band about Mercy. Of course there would be no way they would play it on this tour but they need to know to keep it alive.

lazarus said:

Finally, someone follows through and passes this sentiment on to the band! Way to go!

Anyone else? They need to know that this song is worshipped by a significant faction of U2 fandom.

His only response to "This is one of the best songs..." was "Oh, it's out there?"?? That's it?

Hopefully I'll be able to second your motion at the next Los Angeles or Vegas show.

No, he said, "Yeah Maybe" and then I followed up with the you have to play it stuff.

Anyway, the rest of the conversation went something like this:

Bono: It's out there?

Me: Well yeah.

Bono: where'd you get it (or where did it come from).

Me: Well I'd heard you have it to some girl and eventually she posted it.

Bono: Well then I may be in trouble now.

If anyone else has asked about it since SD, I haven't seen a post, but don't live on U2 boards, so i could easilly miss it.

Swan269 said:
I think everyone here would say something to the band about Mercy. Of course there would be no way they would play it on this tour but they need to know to keep it alive.

I agree, but there's no reason not too. They've played unreleased songs on tours in the past, and talk about a major selling point for a live DVD!

Kevin

kcrays said:

I agree, but there's no reason not too. They've played unreleased songs on tours in the past, and talk about a major selling point for a live DVD!

Kevin

yeah, a huge selling point. it would greatly appeal to us die hard blue crack u2 fans, who were going to get 2 copies of each DVD anyways.

I wouldn't be real surprised if this song ends up on a soundtrack of some kind. There will be a downtime after the end of the tour.

Think fall 2006. It could very well be a single with no tour promotion at all. Have a cool video clip, send it to radio and it might have a decent chance.

HMTMKMKM was a leftover from Zooropa and appeared 2 years later.

I still don't like the idea of it being loaned out to a film. This song really deserves to be the centerpiece or penultimate track of the next album. Shit, man, if you heard an outtake of Bad, Acrobat or Please, would you want it slumming on a soundtrack?

HMTMKMKM is a cool rocker, and was awesome live, but it's not an "important" U2 track. I feel that Mercy deserves a place on a proper album. Hopefully without too much tampering.

Here's a slightly mischievous thought: has anyone wondered what would happen if one of us leaked Mercy to any radio stations? Don't you think they would get a few spins in before getting the cease and desist from Interscope? People would be calling in going "That song was amazing!" It would suck to force the band's hand, but at least the secret would be out and they couldn't ignore the song any longer.

What if it led to the song premiering live? "You wanted this so bad, we're gonna let you have it!" And they tear the shit up, blow the roof off the place.

shit, i'll do it. i'll mail it in to klos or idie 1031 or any station here. i don't know if they'll believe me, though. hell, it's worth a shot.

lazarus said:
I still don't like the idea of it being loaned out to a film. This song really deserves to be the centerpiece or penultimate track of the next album. Shit, man, if you heard an outtake of Bad, Acrobat or Please, would you want it slumming on a soundtrack?

I beleive the song is done, it;s lyrics appear in the booklet, it was played at, at least one listening party for HTDAAB and Bono himself remarked that it was a B-side. It was the last track left off the album, with Fast Cars being the bonus obvously, which leads me to beleive they had seriously considered it for the album, then why change it at all?

It's possible they could hold back on it and release it on the next album or even re-work it. Another thing to consider is the 4th/5th single, which will help promote the 3rd leg of the tour, if they add more dates in South America, Australia or Japan, they very well might need that 4th or 5th single to have some staying power.
It's possible they are saving their best B-side for last in an effort to push up sales and give it a better chart position.

Anyhow, I happen to think the song is probably done, especially if the band has full knowledge that it leaked and even moreso if this song makes it to radio. I could very well be wrong and actually hope I am. I hope it makes album #12 and it very well might, I am just making a guess really.

But from where I see it, a soundtrack might be a decent option as opposed to the song just becoming another B-side, if that is the case, if the band are basically done with it.

This song should be on the fucking album HTDAAB anyways. What a crime for those who haven't heard it.

:hmm: The one and only indie station here played the album before it was "offically" released.
Wonder if they would consider playing this while there's a dry spell between U2 songs? (new songs that is)
They really like U2 and may just do it.. :heart: or not!
I'm going to ask anyway..:wink:

kcrays said:

Me: Edge, any chance you guys will play Mercy on this tour?

Edge: Not likely.

Me: Bono any chance you guys will play Mercy this tour?

A: Yeah, Maybe.

:lol: Man I love Bono. So adorably clueless. And if you want the likelihood of Mercy being played Edge's answer is probably the one to trust, I think Bono answers 'yes' to everything :wink:

Radio station leak :hmm: I can't decide if that's a good or bad thing, the only thing I'm worried about is the band NOT releasing it because it leaked... which would suck...it NEEDS to be on an album...on the other hand people deserve to hear it and it may push U2 to play it!!

lazarus said:
Here's a slightly mischievous thought: has anyone wondered what would happen if one of us leaked Mercy to any radio stations? Don't you think they would get a few spins in before getting the cease and desist from Interscope? People would be calling in going "That song was amazing!" It would suck to force the band's hand, but at least the secret would be out and they couldn't ignore the song any longer.

I've started small.. Submitted it to an internet radio site....it was added, but so far they haven't played it. As I recall, after being added to the song list, it generally takes a week or 2 before they actually get put in the rotation....the fact that a song in heavy rotation gets played no more than once per day means it may be a while.

Hahaha! I just want to send it to Radio One and demand they play it...the only thing I'm worried about concerning us 'leaking' the track is that the band would get all 'Oh, my GOD! ITS SALOME ALL OVER AGAIN!!', sue those of us who had leaked it and refuse to release the track and keep it away from the [PUBLIC] public eye, leaving us people in this forum and elsewhere to dwell over it with extreme bitterness...!

One thing confuses me, the fact that Bono gave the disc to someone saying "Watch out for 'Mercy'" and then was supposedly surprised that it's "Out there"...it's a bizarre suggestion, but it wouldn't surprise me if the band planned to get the track out there to see how we would react to it so they could decide whether to use it on a future record, and in my opinion [bar one or two tracks] it's better than the entire 'How To...' album put together!!

It still boggles the mind why the bloody hell they left it off...!!

LOVE HEARS WHEN I LIE
LOVE PUTS THE BLUE BACK IN MY EYE
I'LL BE GONE AGAIN
I'LL BE GONE AGAIN
again...

Woah...:drool:

U2DMfan said:

I beleive the song is done, it;s lyrics appear in the booklet, it was played at, at least one listening party for HTDAAB and Bono himself remarked that it was a B-side. It was the last track left off the album, with Fast Cars being the bonus obvously, which leads me to beleive they had seriously considered it for the album, then why change it at all?

Another clue to the song being done is JackKnife Lee put some of his "bug sounds" in the beginning of the song

gareth brown said:
Hahaha! I just want to send it to Radio One and demand they play it...the only thing I'm worried about concerning us 'leaking' the track is that the band would get all 'Oh, my GOD! ITS SALOME ALL OVER AGAIN!!', sue those of us who had leaked it and refuse to release the track and keep it away from the [PUBLIC] public eye, leaving us people in this forum and elsewhere to dwell over it with extreme bitterness...!

Last I checked Solome was released as a bside.

One thing confuses me, the fact that Bono gave the disc to someone saying "Watch out for 'Mercy'" and then was supposedly surprised that it's "Out there"...it's a bizarre suggestion, but it wouldn't surprise me if the band planned to get the track out there to see how we would react to it so they could decide whether to use it on a future record, and in my opinion [bar one or two tracks] it's better than the entire 'How To...' album put together!!

It still boggles the mind why the bloody hell they left it off...!!

Based on his reaction, I don't think he really gave a copy to anyone. I relayed that story to him, and his reaction was, "I did? I may be in trouble then."

Since that day, I've often wondered if Mercy isn't from the "stolen" Edge CD. Until then, I assumed that it was all a publicity stunt, but now I wonder. I just can't imagine that he'd hand a cd out of a song, which had no planned release date, to some fan. And it seems even less likely that a person he trusted would upload it for all the fans before the album is out.

But we'll probably never know what the truth is.

kcrays, what I presume gareth meant by Salome was the Axtung Beibi Out-takes, not the song itself.

And people, BONO DID NOT GIVE ANYONE A COPY OF MERCY. There was a comment to look out for it but THIS DID NOT INCLUDE A COPY OF THE SONG. The copy of Mercy has come from an unnamed, unknown source that IS NOT BONO.

Ahaa, well that's cleared a whole lot up! The theory I've obviously pulled straight out of my nose is a bit unlikely now then...:wink:

Yeah, kcrays I was referring to the Salomé/Axtung Beibi sessions being stolen. I was lucky enough to hear the B-side version first.

Back
Top Bottom