The Problem With U2 "Experimenting..." - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-24-2004, 03:46 PM   #1
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: New York
Posts: 429
Local Time: 02:23 AM
The Problem With U2 "Experimenting..."

is

what the hell are they going to play?

They are a rock band.

They have done Rock/Blues, Rock/Country, Rock/Soul, Rock/ Techno, Rock everything.

They have a catalog that stretches from The Fly to WOWY to Sunday Bloody Sunday to In A Little While to Numb .


They are experimenting NOW because they are not following a formula. Vertigo FUCKING ROCKS! It is U2 - Rock/ Punk Rock to me.

It is a great song. They are not going to go do opera or something just so people will say they are daring.
__________________

Hitman is offline  
Old 09-24-2004, 03:53 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life
 
MrBrau1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Verplexed in Vermont
Posts: 10,436
Local Time: 09:23 PM
Some people care more about "daring" than the actual music coming out of the speakers. U2 spent 10 years in outer space (AB, Zooropa, Passengers, Pop) and now they're just writing song. I don't see the problem with that. In fact, I prefer it that way. I'm gonna go listen to my "safe" copy of ATYCLB now. It's got some good songs on it.
__________________

__________________
"If you needed my autograph, I'd give it to you." Bob Dylan
MrBrau1 is offline  
Old 09-24-2004, 04:08 PM   #3
Babyface
 
MOFOLOGY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: GR
Posts: 20
Local Time: 02:23 AM
Thinking ...ok the song rules rocks e.t.c but...
the chorus ( refrain) of Vertigo reminds me of another non-U2 song
dunno which one but im gonna find it
MOFOLOGY is offline  
Old 09-24-2004, 04:12 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 17,927
Local Time: 09:23 PM
How about country punk? Irish folk rap? The people who bitch about wanting 'experimenting' don't really want something new, they want Pop and Zooropa again, which is not experimenting, because it's already been done

VERTIGO ROCKS!!!
U2Kitten is offline  
Old 09-24-2004, 04:24 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life
 
david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: southern california
Posts: 10,406
Local Time: 07:23 PM
If all you do is expirement you are no longer expiremental.
david is offline  
Old 09-24-2004, 04:26 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict
 
starsgoblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Looking for direction to perfection
Posts: 17,828
Local Time: 09:23 PM
Just let U2 do what we love them for....making music.
starsgoblue is offline  
Old 09-24-2004, 06:20 PM   #7
Acrobat
 
mobonofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 432
Local Time: 02:23 AM
The song it reminds you of is The Supremes

Set me free why don't you babe
Get out my life why don't you babe
Cause you don't really need me
You just keep me holding on...
mobonofo is offline  
Old 09-24-2004, 06:44 PM   #8
The Fly
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Arkansas ?
Posts: 121
Local Time: 02:23 AM
Ya know, I'm one of the one's who loves Zooropa and POP and was only so-so for ATYCLB (Beautiful Day, Kite and Walk On are great songs nonetheless) --- Vertigo is a great U2 song in the vein of Even Better Than the Real Thing, The Fly, Zooropa, Discotheque, and Elevation. Its a sonic blast. Can't wait for the rest of the album.
edgeu22 is offline  
Old 09-24-2004, 07:27 PM   #9
Refugee
 
isabelle_guns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,662
Local Time: 02:23 AM
Re: The Problem With U2 "Experimenting..."

Quote:
Originally posted by Hitman
is

what the hell are they going to play?

They are a rock band.

They have done Rock/Blues, Rock/Country, Rock/Soul, Rock/ Techno, Rock everything.

They have a catalog that stretches from The Fly to WOWY to Sunday Bloody Sunday to In A Little While to Numb .


They are experimenting NOW because they are not following a formula. Vertigo FUCKING ROCKS! It is U2 - Rock/ Punk Rock to me.

It is a great song. They are not going to go do opera or something just so people will say they are daring.
Bono's voice is slowly crapping out anyway for him or the band to opera :P
isabelle_guns is offline  
Old 09-24-2004, 07:28 PM   #10
Refugee
 
isabelle_guns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,662
Local Time: 02:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
Some people care more about "daring" than the actual music coming out of the speakers. U2 spent 10 years in outer space (AB, Zooropa, Passengers, Pop) and now they're just writing song. I don't see the problem with that. In fact, I prefer it that way. I'm gonna go listen to my "safe" copy of ATYCLB now. It's got some good songs on it.
You're 100% right, I was just looking forward to a new U2 song regardless of the genre. I really didn't care if it was "safe" or not as long as it was a good U2 song.
isabelle_guns is offline  
Old 09-24-2004, 08:22 PM   #11
War Child
 
Layton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 750
Local Time: 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by mobonofo
The song it reminds you of is The Supremes

Set me free why don't you babe
Get out my life why don't you babe
Cause you don't really need me
You just keep me holding on...
Good Job!! I think they purposely use this to turn the sentiment upside down in order to present something more along the lines of stay in my life they really need us. Basically, what I'm saying is Vertigo is a thank you note song.
__________________

Layton is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com