The Problem of the Beach Clips - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-04-2006, 06:01 PM   #1
War Child
 
BANZAI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 574
Local Time: 03:54 AM
The Problem of the Beach Clips

Although I really love I Believe (402), like All My Life (404) and appreciate Can't You See (400), I think the band is going a secure way to prolong their success of ATYCLB and HTDAAB. In my opinion they're not experimental enough. U2 have to find a NEW sound in the way they did a little bit with Love and Peace of Else and Fast Cars.
__________________

BANZAI is offline  
Old 08-04-2006, 06:06 PM   #2
War Child
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 788
Local Time: 06:54 PM
I hope some of the clips we heard were really U2 songs instead of Bono singing over someone else's music.
__________________

jay canseco is offline  
Old 08-04-2006, 10:56 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life
 
AtomicBono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 10,486
Local Time: 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by jay canseco
I hope some of the clips we heard were really U2 songs instead of Bono singing over someone else's music.
the others are either U2 songs or Bono singing to Coldplay

no really, there is no way 402 and 404 aren't U2, and I'd bet money on 400 being U2 as well, and of course we already know the story of 403.

then again I would also have bet money that Bono was singing 409, though the rest of it is so different from typical U2 it was easy to believe it was someone else.

Yeah I'd like to hear U2 experiment more too, but the beach clips sound damn good to me anyway. kind of more like ATYCLB than HTDAAB, which I think is a good thing...ATYCLB has this amazing warmth to it. 402 does pull off this 90's vibe though. good stuff.
AtomicBono is offline  
Old 08-05-2006, 12:11 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,685
Local Time: 08:54 PM
I'd definitely like the next album (if it doesn't come up with somthing too "new") to sound more like ATYCLB than HTDAAB. ATYCLB has, AtomicBono nailed it, a warmth to it and also a clarity. The songs are simple and aren't bogged down with poor production or a messy arrangement. I love what Danny Lanois said on the Joshua Tree documentary about that album. He said he wanted to achieve a sense of SPACE on the album, like you were literally standing in the middle of the desert listening to those songs. I feel he achieved the same thing on ATYCLB as well.

I'd personally love to see Lanois/Eno produce this next album again. They simply bring out the best in the band every time the work together. My top 4 albums The Joshua Tree, ATYCLB, Achtung Baby, and The Unforgettable Fire all happen to be produced by Lanois and Eno. Yeah, they are just what the band needs to create a real "album", a cohesive and dynamic album, not just a collection of songs.
Lancemc is offline  
Old 08-05-2006, 12:55 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Canadiens1131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,363
Local Time: 09:54 PM
Not experimental enough?

This is still rock music. I mean, we're not going to get Gregorian chants and random synthesizers, culminating in a rich enlightenment of the mind and soul.

Maybe the soul part.
Canadiens1131 is offline  
Old 08-05-2006, 12:58 AM   #6
War Child
 
nightninja56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 583
Local Time: 08:54 PM
nightninja56 is offline  
Old 08-05-2006, 12:59 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,685
Local Time: 08:54 PM
I hate when people use the word experimental with U2. Seriously, the only thing real "experimental" they ever did was Passengers, maybe zooropa to an extent. The "experimental" stuff people talk about all the time is really just "different" for the band. Definitely not "experimental" though.
Lancemc is offline  
Old 08-05-2006, 02:10 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life
 
AtomicBono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 10,486
Local Time: 07:54 PM
If U2 were truly "experimental," probably most people here would hate it and complain that they want U2 to "rock out."
AtomicBono is offline  
Old 08-05-2006, 04:00 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: slovenija
Posts: 21,029
Local Time: 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc

I'd personally love to see Lanois/Eno produce this next album again. They simply bring out the best in the band every time the work together. My top 4 albums The Joshua Tree, ATYCLB, Achtung Baby, and The Unforgettable Fire all happen to be produced by Lanois and Eno. Yeah, they are just what the band needs to create a real "album", a cohesive and dynamic album, not just a collection of songs.
It's true that they are their "Batman and Robin" producers, and they did do some great work together - that said, I think the band should step away from the old team for a while: Eno, Lanois, and Lillywhite (keep him at the mixing desk though). I don't think they can bring out any more new and great stuff out of the band.

I'd like to see some fresh people on board. I know, I know, they may risk another "Thomas" with it, but I really think they're risking a backlash of Rattle and Hum proportions if the new album really sounds like ATYCLB and more so Bomb.
Yes, 400 and Thank you sound like something off ATYCLB but I like 404 and in particular 402 - reminds me of the ethereal sound they had with Mercy. I sense something new in those two songs.
U2girl is offline  
Old 08-05-2006, 04:24 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl


It's true that they are their "Batman and Robin" producers, and they did do some great work together - that said, I think the band should step away from the old team for a while: Eno, Lanois, and Lillywhite (keep him at the mixing desk though). I don't think they can bring out any more new and great stuff out of the band.

I'd like to see some fresh people on board. I know, I know, they may risk another "Thomas" with it, but I really think they're risking a backlash of Rattle and Hum proportions if the new album really sounds like ATYCLB and more so Bomb.
Yes, 400 and Thank you sound like something off ATYCLB but I like 404 and in particular 402 - reminds me of the ethereal sound they had with Mercy. I sense something new in those two songs.
You make great points. IMO though the band really needs to make a cohesive album. From hearing opinions from people in this forum, the collective theme seems to be bad production. Songs like Mercy, Fast Cars and so on, how that is still making great music just not making great albums. Eno and Lanios give U2 the best chance to make anther great album. U2 is obviously on the downslide of thier career. The band needs to bring up the production and take more risks with what songs they put on thier albums.
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 08-05-2006, 04:28 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
U2DMfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: It's Inside A Black Hole
Posts: 6,637
Local Time: 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl

I really think they're risking a backlash of Rattle and Hum proportions if the new album really sounds like ATYCLB and more so Bomb.
It's coming. Everyone knows it.
That's a great thing for a lot of people.

Maybe some will admit it now or later, some will read some comments from Bono about X,Y,Z how Edge and Larry are angry about they are ready for rock and roll and some stuff about soul, blah blah, by 2007/2008 their egos will kick in, they'll want a record that makes a splash, they'll make ATYCLB 3 and they'll sell out every date on tour, critic reaction will be mixed and we'll be looking at about 7 years from now to know the effect. They'll be talking in the press in 2012 about how they 'lost the plot' and made another 'soul' record.

It's coming and we all know it.
Part 3. The trilogy theory lives on.
U2DMfan is offline  
Old 08-05-2006, 04:33 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: slovenija
Posts: 21,029
Local Time: 03:54 AM
On the other hand, are Lanois and Eno really the "secret ingredient" to a great album?

I mean, yes, they got another dimension on U2's sound with UF, but I think it's really up to the band's inspiration whether or not they will make the ellusive 3rd masterpiece. (also, the albums they worked on sound for the major part nothing alike) That is IMO, what has been (mostly) missing on the last 3 albums.
U2girl is offline  
Old 08-05-2006, 04:39 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2DMfan


It's coming. Everyone knows it.
That's a great thing for a lot of people.

Maybe some will admit it now or later, some will read some comments from Bono about X,Y,Z how Edge and Larry are angry about they are ready for rock and roll and some stuff about soul, blah blah, by 2007/2008 their egos will kick in, they'll want a record that makes a splash, they'll make ATYCLB 3 and they'll sell out every date on tour, critic reaction will be mixed and we'll be looking at about 7 years from now to know the effect. They'll be talking in the press in 2012 about how they 'lost the plot' and made another 'soul' record.

It's coming and we all know it.
Part 3. The trilogy theory lives on.
Sadly, you're probably right. The problem is that Bono walks outside and sees a beautiful day when ten or twenty years ago he would have seen El Salvador or the problems in Ireland. It is weird because alot of artists's best work comes from tragedy or pain. U2's best music often comes from pain and the band just isn't angry or in confusion/pain. Bono needs to start looking at the world again.
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 08-05-2006, 04:50 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: slovenija
Posts: 21,029
Local Time: 03:54 AM
I keep hoping that Rattle and Hum and the "other" album meant U2 learned their lesson about following a sound one album too far. History though, hints at the trilogies...I also hope the curve is going up and we will get the best album of this decade next.

Another dimension that has to be mentioned is Bono's lyrics. He is admiteddly the weakest link on the last 2 albums. I realise a 40 year old can't have the same themes like a 30 year old or a 20 year old, but still. The "essential" theme lyrics idea did work on some parts of the last albums (mortality/fatherhood/family are all natural topics at this time) but a tad cliche none the less, the execution.
U2girl is offline  
Old 08-05-2006, 04:59 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl

Another dimension that has to be mentioned is Bono's lyrics. He is admiteddly the weakest link on the last 2 albums. I realise a 40 year old can't have the same themes like a 30 year old or a 20 year old, but still. The "essential" theme lyrics idea did work on some parts of the last albums (mortality/fatherhood/family are all natural topics at this time) but a tad cliche none the less, the execution.
Yeah, I mean Adam's bass playing is getting better and The Edge is Edge. Larry has stepped up. So it all rests on Bono. You are one hundred percent right about BIno's lyrics. There is this huge drop off from Pop and ATYCLB. Songs like ABOY, One Step Closer, Wild Honey and so on, are some examples of where Bono's lyrics fall flat. I don't know what Bono can do either.
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 08-05-2006, 05:07 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: slovenija
Posts: 21,029
Local Time: 03:54 AM
I don't know...I liked most of ABOY's verses (apart from the second one, not counting the "I'm not broke.." line), and OSC and Fast cars and Mercy and COBL seem to go away from the direct lyric found on most of ATYCLB or Bomb.

Interesting that we have only gotten 1 lyric off the activism in Africa. I would have thought this would be a huge topic for Bono, given he's spent... 8 years doing this big time.
If we had the desert/America and the broken heart dominating their best albums, maybe a corrupt globe next?
U2girl is offline  
Old 08-05-2006, 05:12 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 08:54 PM
Why doesn't the band do an album with the location being Africa literally, poetically and metaphorically.
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 08-05-2006, 05:39 AM   #18
War Child
 
POP-ROMANCER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 847
Local Time: 01:54 AM
Why don't they go to another place for recording the album, like Berlin in 1990 where they did a lot of inspiration for Achtung Baby?

Sarajevo or something. When Bono gets out of the studio he sees a lot of pain and problems, instead of a dive in the sea.

I also think the next album will be the 3rd with the same 'sound', and I love to see U2 would be making music like Love and Peace or Else, just that sound on the whole album.
POP-ROMANCER is offline  
Old 08-05-2006, 07:33 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
doctorwho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: My TARDIS - currently located in San Leandro, CA
Posts: 6,359
Local Time: 05:54 PM
Re: The Problem of the Beach Clips

Quote:
Originally posted by BANZAI
Although I really love I Believe (402), like All My Life (404) and appreciate Can't You See (400), I think the band is going a secure way to prolong their success of ATYCLB and HTDAAB. In my opinion they're not experimental enough. U2 have to find a NEW sound in the way they did a little bit with Love and Peace of Else and Fast Cars.
What the?

I wrote almost this same comment in another thread (copycat!)and all I got was a from people.

I fully agree with you. However, I also recognize that these songs are probably still being worked on and may not ever be used. This contrasts the beach clips in 2004, when it was clear we were hearing snippets from the upcoming album.

So even though I fully agree with you, there is still hope that U2 can pull off more songs like L&P, FC and even "Vertigo".
__________________
http://u2.interference.com/attachments/forums/signaturepics/sigpic11661_2.gifI always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific.
doctorwho is offline  
Old 08-05-2006, 08:10 AM   #20
War Child
 
guill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ponyville
Posts: 623
Local Time: 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by POP-ROMANCER
Why don't they go to another place for recording the album, like Berlin in 1990 where they did a lot of inspiration for Achtung Baby?
They are going to spend 3 weeks in Australia/New-Zealand, they can start to record some songs there and finish them in Dublin.
__________________

guill is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×