The Problem of the Beach Clips - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2006, 06:25 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by IrishDawg

I agree, those 3 songs have horrible lyrics, but I think Mercy is probably the best song that they've done lyrically. Ever. I think if he went in that direction we'd get some great songs. The whole thing with Mercy is that it sounds dark, and that Bono is singing about something that seems to be giving him a lot of pain. That's what made Achtung Baby great.
agreed

Old 08-06-2006, 06:30 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie

There could be an album of a couple poppy sounding songs, a couple of dark songs, a couple of experimental songs......wait a second.....

Old 08-06-2006, 07:07 PM   #43
roy
Refugee

Local Time: 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ponkine
There are 2 problems with Beach Clips:

I can clearly remember when I said last year that the new album were gonna be as ATYCLB and HTDAAB... many fans here wanted to kill me, but time has come for the truth

I was and I am right. The "new" album will be nothing really new at all
My God, what an ego.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:50 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:12 PM
Quote:
There are 2 problems with Beach Clips:

I was and I am right. The "new" album will be nothing really new at all
There are two problems with your post.

1. These are rough demos, they may not even make an album, they may not even all be U2 songs, they may not even be new songs (see the leftovers posts above).

2. How can you deduce with any type of certainty the direction of what they are doing, even basing it on these clips? They are so muffled and crap quality there is no way you can tell anything from them. In fact I would say, YOU are more than likely completely wrong and have no idea what you are even talking about. Unless you are in the studio with the band and have talked to them personally, you have NO clue at all at this point.

I'm sorry if this seems like a harsh response. But what a ridiculous comment to make with such limited information. It is absolutely amazing to me how people are picking these apart and bitching about the next album when they dont even know for sure what these clips are for, about, or if they are even all U2. The new album is at a minimum a year away, probably more. SO much is going to happen and change between now and then there is absolutely no way to deduce what its going to be like at this stage. These are FOUR CLIPS, last I checked an album has 11 to 12 tracks on it.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:18 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
Songs like...Wild Honey showed a new side of U2, a "pop song" side.
I agreed with your entire post, but you just reminded me of something I realized about 'Wild Honey'. Not only is it the "perfect pop song", but it is also lyrically brilliant. Sometimes U2 songs, even the most seemingly basic songs, have a way of surprising me. I woke up to 'Wild Honey' on the plane the other day and I felt....the otherness you feel in U2 songs. And what was it? I realized 'Wild Honey' is perhaps the first U2 song ever where the protagonist (the "I" in the song) is not a person, but a concept. In this case, it is romance personified. I realized the entire song can be interpreted as, "If you go there (initimacy), then take me (romance) with you....because it will be much, much better if you do." The line that really sums it up is, "I'll send you flowers / cut flowers for your hall / I know your garden is full, but is there sweetness at all?" It's the relationship without the spark.

That song is deceptive. And brilliant.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:22 AM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, Wild Honey is probably U2's most underrated song of all time. I think people just hear the "I was a monkey" line and automatically think it's garbage." Not only does no one really care about these lyrics (I must say your analysis is spot on ), but they can't even see the beauty in the melody and arrangment. Honestly, Bono's vocals here are perfect. He really makes the best of his raspy Elevation-era voice in this song, especially in the "I'll send you flowers" line you mentioned. Man, ATYCLB is so fucking good it still amazes me.

And AtomicBono, I seem to like you more and more every day.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:25 AM   #47
The Male

Local Time: 05:12 PM
Quote:
Yeah, Wild Honey is probably U2's most underrated song of all time. I think people just hear the "I was a monkey" line and automatically think it's garbage." Not only does no one really care about these lyrics (I must say your analysis is spot on ), but they can't even see the beauty in the melody and arrangment. Honestly, Bono's vocals here are perfect. He really makes the best of his raspy Elevation-era voice in this song, especially in the "I'll send you flowers" line you mentioned. Man, ATYCLB is so fucking good it still amazes me.

You nailed it. All except ATYCLB being f__ing good. It's decent, but not f___ing good. Wild Honey is though.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:30 AM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Well, you're half right. It's not f___ing good. It's f___ing great.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:34 AM   #49
The Male

Local Time: 05:12 PM
Here's something else to debate; why was Wild Honey only played a handful of times when it's one song that has adapted brilliantly to an acoustic arrangement (IE: SATS)?
Old 08-07-2006, 12:56 AM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 08:12 PM
As someone who doesn't like Wild Honey, I would have prefered to have a song like Wild Honey that isn't on par with the rest of the album but that maintains the mood and makes the album more complete. Wild Honey is alot like The 4th of July in that the song alone may not be the best but when taken as a whole makes the album better. Lancemc, your whole argument about U2 making a complete pop album is brillant. I to your reason and intelligence. Take an album like Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys, that is praised as one of the best albums of all-time even though it doesn't have the advanced music or kick that other great albums do. The album is great because the songs bleed into a unifying sound that take a listener somewhere emotionally. That's what TJT, Achtung Baby and ATYCLB did so successfully. Your argument again was fantastic. Now if only other U2 fans could see this.

As for LemonMelon observation, I have to agree it is like the 00's version of Party Girl. It's a fun song. I think alot of people would like to see more ATYCLB songs being played live.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:06 AM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Wow Screwtape, I'm not sure I'm worthy of such compliment, but thanks anyway.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:11 AM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:12 PM
Quote:

I like you too (omg U2 lolz), but it may just be your avatar

I agree with you on Wild Honey. I've always loved the song. It makes me happy. Perfect little pop song; fantastic melodies. What I love about this song is it doesn't sound like it's trying, it simply is. If that even makes sense. It has a carefree feeling and it's not trying to be a "big" song.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:39 AM   #53
War Child

I don't wanna take this too far off topic, so I'll end this here:

I loved the monkey line. Specifically the way he sings the following line: "Stealing honey from a swarm of bees."
Old 08-07-2006, 06:46 AM   #54
you are what you is

Local Time: 02:12 AM
it does my heart good to read the Wild Honey comments here

I actually think a lot of the Salome sessions sounded less interesting than these beach clips
that was of course before Eno had his way with it
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 08-07-2006, 10:50 AM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:12 AM
Always liked Wild honey, the first time they emulated the Beatles (and later OOTS). I also wish U2 had gone all the way with the "pop" album theme of ATYCLB and that Wild honey had been followed by Summer rain and Levitate.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:56 AM   #56
Refugee

Local Time: 10:12 PM
Quote:
Yeah, Wild Honey is probably U2's most underrated song of all time. I think people just hear the "I was a monkey" line and automatically think it's garbage." Not only does no one really care about these lyrics (I must say your analysis is spot on ), but they can't even see the beauty in the melody and arrangment. Honestly, Bono's vocals here are perfect. He really makes the best of his raspy Elevation-era voice in this song,
The "song" is nothing but a Beatles' Two Of Us rip off

Making the Bono's "perfect vocals" is quite easy a predictable: have a reunion drinks with a lot of smoke and then go to the studio and "sing" the song...

Bono's voice on that song is far from being professional, even decent. A singer MUST care about his/her voice, and Bono doesn't give a s*** about his one, he just pretend to be emotional by "singing" rough, raspy and strained in songs as Wild Honey or In A Little While. Nothing but crap.

Yes, I know he has done the same in songs as One, for example, but there's a world of different between One and Wild Honey, talking about songwriting quality, lyrics, arrangments, etc. In Wild Honey I can notice a band out of ideas, copying someone else melodies, doing pretty much nothing but jam in the studio, etc. In One I can notice a serious band, knowing what they were doing, knowing what they wanted with the song, etc, etc.

Why Am I writing all this?. Because Beach Clips are pretty the same as Wild Honey, I Mean, a band completely out of ideas, recording whatever comes to mind just because, copying themselves, lacking quality, etc

Old 08-07-2006, 12:32 PM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

The "song" is nothing but a Beatles' Two Of Us rip off
I guess I can see some similarity in the melodies, but they're not the same. It's not a "rip off."

and Salome I agree, most of the Salome sessions are pretty boring anyway. though I'd say these songs are farther along then a lot of those were.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:08 PM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Why Am I writing all this?. Because Beach Clips are pretty the same as Wild Honey, I Mean, a band completely out of ideas, recording whatever comes to mind just because, copying themselves, lacking quality, etc

yeah, and if U2 didn't copy themselves, you would accuse them of trying to be something they're not.

the glass is always empty with you, and we see through it. stop talking.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:28 PM   #59
roy
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by mikal

yeah, and if U2 didn't copy themselves, you would accuse them of trying to be something they're not.

the glass is always empty with you, and we see through it. stop talking.
The guy has despised the current U2 for over six years and yet only registered in Feb 2004. He is your stereotypical, sad, self-indulgent troll.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:29 PM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Yep, I'd say that sums you up pretty well. It's the ignore list for you.